Lense with two mediums speed of a fish in an aquarium

In summary: When you plug in the values, you should get a negative value for p, which indicates that the image is located behind the observer. This makes sense since the observer is looking at the fish through the front wall of the tank, which acts as a lens and bends the light rays. Therefore, the apparent speed of the fish as measured by the observer is actually 4.40 cm/s. In summary, the apparent speed of the goldfish swimming towards the front wall of a rectangular aquarium, as measured by an observer looking in from outside the front wall of the tank, is 4.40 cm/s.
goWlfpack

Homework Statement

A goldfish is swimming at 4.40 cm/s toward the front wall of a rectangular aquarium. What is the apparent speed of the fish as measured by an observer looking in from outside the front wall of the tank? The index of refraction of water is 1.333.

Homework Equations

p = - (n1/n2) q
where q is object distance, p is image distance, and n1 and n2 are the respective indices of refraction mediums

The Attempt at a Solution

i plugged it in using water (1.33) as medium 1 and air (1.00) for n2. I plugged in 4.40 for q. I got 5.85 and that got the red x... help

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi goWlfpack,

goWlfpack said:

Homework Statement

A goldfish is swimming at 4.40 cm/s toward the front wall of a rectangular aquarium. What is the apparent speed of the fish as measured by an observer looking in from outside the front wall of the tank? The index of refraction of water is 1.333.

Homework Equations

p = - (n1/n2) q
where q is object distance, p is image distance, and n1 and n2 are the respective indices of refraction mediums

The Attempt at a Solution

i plugged it in using water (1.33) as medium 1 and air (1.00) for n2. I plugged in 4.40 for q. I got 5.85 and that got the red x... help

Here p is the object distance and q is the image distance; you seem to have these switched with each other.

I would suggest double-checking your calculations and making sure that you are using the correct formula for this situation. It seems like you may have used the thin lens equation, which is not applicable in this case. Instead, you should use the Snell's law equation, which relates the angle of incidence and refraction of light at a boundary between two mediums. In this case, the light rays from the fish will be refracted as they pass from water (n1 = 1.333) to air (n2 = 1.00). The equation for Snell's law is n1sinθ1 = n2sinθ2, where θ1 and θ2 are the angles of incidence and refraction, respectively. Since the light rays are passing from a higher index of refraction (water) to a lower one (air), the angle of refraction will be larger than the angle of incidence. From this, you can calculate the apparent speed of the fish as seen from outside the aquarium.

Related to Lense with two mediums speed of a fish in an aquarium

What is a lense with two mediums?

A lense with two mediums is a type of optical device that consists of two different materials with different refractive indices. This allows the lense to bend or refract light in order to focus or magnify an image.

How does a lense with two mediums work?

A lense with two mediums works by utilizing the difference in refractive indices between the two materials. When light passes through the lense, it bends at each interface between the two mediums, causing the image to be focused or magnified.

What is the speed of light in a lense with two mediums?

The speed of light in a lense with two mediums depends on the refractive indices of the two materials it is made of. Generally, the speed of light is slower in a lense with two mediums compared to in a vacuum.

Can a lense with two mediums be used underwater?

Yes, a lense with two mediums can be used underwater as long as the materials used in the lense have similar refractive indices to water. This allows the lense to properly refract light and create a clear image.

What is the speed of a fish in an aquarium when viewed through a lense with two mediums?

The speed of a fish in an aquarium when viewed through a lense with two mediums will appear slower due to the slower speed of light in the lense. However, the actual speed of the fish remains unchanged.