Let L1 be the line through P and Q

• MHB
  • Thread starter karush
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line
In summary: We can also factor this vector as \displaystyle \begin{align*} (3, -3, 8) + s(1, -2, 3) \end{align*}, which is the same as the equation in the post. So the vector \displaystyle \begin{align*} (3, -3, 8) \end{align*} represents the direction and position of the line $L_1$.(i) Write down another vector representation for $L_1$ using $\pmatrix{3\cr -3\cr 8\cr}$One possible vector representation for $L_1$ using $\pmatrix{3\cr -3\cr 8\
karush
Gold Member
MHB
Consider the points $P(2,-1,5)$ and $Q(3,-3,8)$, let $L_1$ be the line trough $P$ and $Q$

(a) Show that $\overrightarrow{PQ}=\pmatrix{ 1\cr -2\cr 3\cr}$

$\overrightarrow{PQ}=\pmatrix{3\cr -3\cr 8\cr}-\pmatrix{2\cr -1\cr 5\cr}$

(b) The line $L_1$ may be represented by $r=\pmatrix{3\cr -3\cr 8\cr}+s\pmatrix{1\cr -2\cr 3\cr}$

i don't know this notation but it looks like $r=Q+\overrightarrow{PQ}$ so we are taking a point and adding a vector to it?

more ? to come on this...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: let L1 be the line throught P and Q

karush said:
Consider the points $P(2,-1,5)$ and $Q(3,-3,8)$, let $L_1$ be the line trough $P$ and $Q$

(b) The line $L_1$ may be represented by $r=\pmatrix{3\cr -3\cr 8\cr}+s\pmatrix{1\cr -2\cr 3\cr}$

i don't know this notation but it looks like $r=Q+\overrightarrow{PQ}$ so we are taking a point and adding a vector to it?

$r(s)=Q+s\overrightarrow{PQ}$

which is $r(s)=\pmatrix{3\cr -3\cr 8\cr}+s\pmatrix{1\cr -2\cr 3\cr}$

above is from OP
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(i) What information does the vector $\pmatrix{3\cr -3\cr 8\cr}$ give about $L_1$.
my question on this is I thot this was pointQ or can this be also a vector from $0,0,0$.

(i) Write down another vector representation for $L_1$ using $\pmatrix{3\cr -3\cr 8\cr}$
all I could come up with was $r(s)=\pmatrix{2\cr -1\cr 5\cr}-s\pmatrix{3\cr -3\cr 8\cr}=L_1$ but since $L_1$ is a line direction is not considered.

karush said:

It helps if you consider the relationship between vectors and lines. Vectors are defined by their direction and their magnitude. Lines are defined by their direction, their position, and are of infinite magnitude. That means that a line is really an infinitely long vector that is positioned somewhere.

If we know that the line passes through the points [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} P = (2, -1, 5) \end{align*}[/tex] and [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} Q = (3, -3, 8) \end{align*}[/tex], then to get the equation of a line going through those points, we need a vector which goes in the same direction, so [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} \overrightarrow{PQ} = (1, -2, 3) \end{align*}[/tex], then you need to make it infinitely long, so multiply by a parameter [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} s \end{align*}[/tex] giving [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} s(1, -2, 3) = (s, -2s, 3s) \end{align*}[/tex], and finally we need to position it somewhere, because this vector would be defined to go through the origin. The points that it goes through tells us how much the vector needs to be moved in the direction of each of the axes, so we would add that many to each of the components, so if we move it according to point Q, we get [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} L_1 = (s + 3, -2s -3, 3s + 8) \end{align*}[/tex].

I can provide a mathematical explanation for the notation used in part (b). The notation $r=\pmatrix{3\cr -3\cr 8\cr}+s\pmatrix{1\cr -2\cr 3\cr}$ represents the parametric equation of a line in three-dimensional space. The point $\pmatrix{3\cr -3\cr 8\cr}$ represents a specific point on the line, and the vector $\pmatrix{1\cr -2\cr 3\cr}$ represents the direction of the line. The parameter $s$ allows us to move along the line in the specified direction, and the equation gives us all the points that lie on the line.

To further explain, the point $\pmatrix{3\cr -3\cr 8\cr}$ is the same as the point $Q(3,-3,8)$ given in the question. This point represents a specific location on the line $L_1$. The vector $\pmatrix{1\cr -2\cr 3\cr}$ represents the direction of the line, which is the same as the vector $\overrightarrow{PQ}$. By multiplying this vector by the parameter $s$, we can move along the line in this direction, giving us all the points on the line.

In summary, the notation $r=\pmatrix{3\cr -3\cr 8\cr}+s\pmatrix{1\cr -2\cr 3\cr}$ is a mathematical representation of the line $L_1$, with the point $\pmatrix{3\cr -3\cr 8\cr}$ representing a specific point on the line and the vector $\pmatrix{1\cr -2\cr 3\cr}$ representing the direction of the line.

Related to Let L1 be the line through P and Q

1. What does the notation "Let L1 be the line through P and Q" mean?

The notation "Let L1 be the line through P and Q" means that we are defining a new line, denoted as L1, which passes through two specified points, P and Q.

2. How do you determine the equation of a line that passes through two given points?

To determine the equation of a line that passes through two given points, you can use the slope-intercept form of a line, y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept. First, calculate the slope using the two given points (m = (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1)). Then, plug in the slope and one of the given points into the equation to solve for b. The resulting equation will be the equation of the line passing through the two points.

3. Can you have more than one line passing through two given points?

No, two distinct points determine one unique line. Therefore, there can only be one line passing through two given points.

4. What is the significance of defining a line through two points in geometry?

Defining a line through two points is important in geometry because it allows us to represent a straight path or direction connecting the two points. It is also a fundamental concept in geometry that is used in various mathematical proofs and constructions.

5. Is the line through two points always straight?

Yes, by definition, a line is a straight path or direction. Therefore, the line passing through two points will always be straight.