Levitating wire in magnetic field.

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of current density and power dissipation in a copper wire that is levitated by the Earth's magnetic field. The wire has a specific diameter and is oriented in a specific direction. The conversation includes equations and attempts at solving for the necessary variables, with one participant pointing out the need for additional numerical values in order to find the power dissipation per cubic meter.
SherlockOhms

Homework Statement

A copper wire of diameter d carries a current density at the Earth’s equator where the Earth’s magnetic field is horizontal, points north, and has magnitude 5.yz × 10^-5 T . The wire lies in a plane that is parallel to the surface of the Earth and is oriented in the east west direction. The density and resistivity of copper are ρm = 8.9 × 10^3 kg/m3 and ρ = 1.7 × 10^−8 Ω-m, respectively. (x,y and z are given constants).

(a) How large must J be, and which direction must it flow in order to levitate the wire? Use g= 9.81 m/s

.(b) When the wire is floating, how much power will be dissipated per cubic meter due to resistive heating in the wire?

Homework Equations

F = ILB (F = JALB = JVB.)
F = mg.
m = density(Volume)
So, F = density(volume)(g)

The Attempt at a Solution

JVB = density(V)(g)
cancel the V's and solve for J (Positive so it flows in the east direction?)

I think that's the correct way to do (a), please point out if I've made an error. I can't seem to find the relative equation for part (b). Any help would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone have any clue? I can't see a way to do it without some extra numerical value for the dimensions of the wire.

The specific dimensions should cancel out. Create unknowns for cross-sectional area etc. as necessary and post you working.

Well, I said that resistance = (resistivity x L) / A. Then JA = I. Power = (JA)^2 x (restivity x L) / A. This simplifies to be P = J^2 x resistivity x V. I don't know the value of V though. I'm not sure what way you had in mind. Any ideas?

DAPOS said:
This simplifies to be P = J^2 x resistivity x V. I don't know the value of V though.
You are not asked to find P. What does the question ask for?

FAQ: Levitating wire in magnetic field.

1. How does a wire levitate in a magnetic field?

When an electrical current passes through a wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. This magnetic field interacts with the magnetic field of a permanent magnet or an electromagnet, creating a force that causes the wire to levitate.

2. Why does the wire have to be made of a conductive material?

The wire needs to be made of a conductive material, such as copper or aluminum, in order for the electrical current to pass through it. If the wire was made of an insulating material, the current would not be able to flow and the wire would not levitate.

3. How strong does the magnetic field have to be for the wire to levitate?

The strength of the magnetic field required for the wire to levitate depends on various factors, including the strength of the current passing through the wire, the length and thickness of the wire, and the distance between the wire and the magnet. Generally, a stronger magnetic field will result in a higher levitation height.

4. Can the wire levitate indefinitely?

No, the wire cannot levitate indefinitely. The levitation is only possible as long as the electrical current is passing through the wire and the magnetic field remains strong enough to counteract the force of gravity. Once the current is turned off or the magnetic field weakens, the wire will fall back to the ground.

5. What applications does levitating wire in a magnetic field have?

Levitating wire in a magnetic field has various applications, including in maglev trains, where the principle is used to levitate and propel the train forward, and in some types of motors and generators, where the levitation of the wire helps reduce friction and improve efficiency. It is also used in some scientific experiments and demonstrations to showcase the principles of electromagnetism.

Back