L'Hospital's rule and indeterminate forms

• Thread starter PFuser1232
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forms
In summary, L'Hospital's Rule states that if the limit of the quotient of two functions exists, then it is equal to the limit of the quotient of their derivatives. For this rule to work, both functions must be differentiable at the limit point, or "in some neighborhood" around it. Additionally, if the derivative of the denominator function is equal to 0 at the limit point, further applications of the rule may be necessary to obtain a convergent limit.
PFuser1232
I want to make sure I understand the conditions required for L'Hospital's Rule to work.
$$\lim_{x \rightarrow a} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = \lim_{x \rightarrow a} \frac{f'(x)}{g'(x)}$$
If ##\lim_{x \rightarrow a} \frac{f'(x)}{g'(x)}## exists.
Should ##f## and ##g## be differentiable at ##a##? Or just around ##a##?
Also, would it work if ##g'(a) = 0##?

Physics news on Phys.org
MohammedRady97 said:
I want to make sure I understand the conditions required for L'Hospital's Rule to work.
$$\lim_{x \rightarrow a} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = \lim_{x \rightarrow a} \frac{f'(x)}{g'(x)}$$
If ##\lim_{x \rightarrow a} \frac{f'(x)}{g'(x)}## exists.
Should ##f## and ##g## be differentiable at ##a##? Or just around ##a##?
Also, would it work if ##g'(a) = 0##?

It's not clear what you mean by a function being differentiable "just around a".

For univariate functions, a derivative either exists at a given abscissa or it doesn't. I'm not aware of anything in between.

If g'(a) = 0, then it is possible that the first application of L'Hopital's rule leads to another indeterminate form. You can apply L'Hopital's rule serially until either a limit is reached or it becomes clear that no convergent limit will ever be obtained. Then you have to move on.

By "just around a" I believe that MohamedRady97 means "in some neighborhood of a but not necessarily at x= a".
For example, f(x)= x if x< 1, f(x)= 2x- 1 if x> 1 is differentiable "around x= 1" but not at 1.

The answer to his question is "yes, that is correct". The definition of "limit" is such that what happens in a neighborhood of a, NOT at x= a itself, is all that is taken into consideration when taking a limit.

See this. Theorem have special conditions.

as suggested above you do not have enough hypotheses to make the theorem true. you also need something like the limits of f and g are both = 0, or both = infinity. look in a book.

Related to L'Hospital's rule and indeterminate forms

1. What is L'Hospital's rule?

L'Hospital's rule is a mathematical theorem that allows us to evaluate limits involving indeterminate forms, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It states that for a given function f(x) and g(x), if the limit of f(x)/g(x) as x approaches a certain value is an indeterminate form, then the limit of f'(x)/g'(x) as x approaches the same value can be used to evaluate the original limit.

2. What are some examples of indeterminate forms?

Some common indeterminate forms are 0/0, ∞/∞, 0*∞, ∞-∞, and ∞^0.

3. How do you apply L'Hospital's rule?

To apply L'Hospital's rule, you first need to determine if the limit is in an indeterminate form. If it is, you can take the derivative of both the numerator and denominator and evaluate the limit again. If the new limit is also an indeterminate form, you can continue to apply L'Hospital's rule until you reach a non-indeterminate form or until it becomes clear that the limit does not exist.

4. Can L'Hospital's rule be used for all limits involving indeterminate forms?

No, L'Hospital's rule can only be used for limits involving indeterminate forms of the form 0/0 or ∞/∞. It cannot be used for other indeterminate forms such as ∞-∞ or 0*∞.

5. Are there any limitations or restrictions to using L'Hospital's rule?

Yes, L'Hospital's rule can only be applied to limits involving real-valued functions. It also cannot be used when the limits involve discontinuities or infinite limits. Additionally, it is important to check the original function to see if there are any other ways to evaluate the limit before using L'Hospital's rule.