Li-ion protection breakdown voltage?

In summary, Li-ion cells have undervoltage protection circuits that open the circuit when the voltage drops below 2.7V. If a cell is part of a larger series pack, the switch may be subjected to the entire voltage of the pack. In this case, a multi-cell over and under-voltage protection system is needed. Without such a system, stacking single-protected cells can be dangerous and is not recommended.
Artlav
Li-ion cells come with undervoltage protection circuits - little integrated thingies that open up the circuit when the voltage across the cell drops below 2.7V or so.
What sort of a switch is that?

I've been thinking, if a cell is inside a large series pack - a dozen of cells for a hobbyist, or a hundred cells for an electric car - won't that switch be subjected to the entire voltage of the pack upon it's opening for the weakest cell?

If so, what is the breakdown voltage of these switches, i.e. in 18650 cells, where can i look it up?
If not, how does that protection work?

I never seen such figures given in battery datasheets, so maybe I've missed the big idea?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Nice. So that is how you do it right.
But if you just stack a set of common, single-protected cells - what would be their limit?

Don't.

I've never considered it. The protection circuit design assumes you won't do that.

The Li-ion protection breakdown voltage refers to the voltage at which the protection circuit will activate and open the circuit to prevent the cell from over-discharging. This is typically around 2.7V for most Li-ion cells. The switch used in these protection circuits is often a MOSFET (metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistor) which is capable of handling high voltages and currents.

In a large series pack, the weakest cell will indeed be subjected to the entire voltage of the pack when the protection circuit is activated. However, the breakdown voltage of the switch is typically much higher than the maximum voltage of the pack, so it should not be a concern.

The breakdown voltage of the switch can vary depending on the specific cell and protection circuit design, so it may not always be readily available in battery datasheets. However, manufacturers typically test and ensure that the protection circuit can handle the maximum voltage of the pack.

In summary, the protection circuit works by using a switch (usually a MOSFET) to open the circuit when the cell voltage drops below a certain threshold. The breakdown voltage of the switch is typically higher than the maximum voltage of the pack, so it should not be a concern.

FAQ: Li-ion protection breakdown voltage?

1. What is "Li-ion protection breakdown voltage"?

"Li-ion protection breakdown voltage" refers to the voltage at which the protective circuit in a lithium-ion battery is triggered to shut off the flow of current to prevent overcharging or over-discharging of the battery. This voltage varies depending on the specific battery and its protective circuitry.

2. Why is "Li-ion protection breakdown voltage" important?

The "Li-ion protection breakdown voltage" is important because it helps to prevent potential hazards such as explosions or fires that can occur when a lithium-ion battery is overcharged or over-discharged. It also helps to prolong the lifespan of the battery by preventing damage to its internal components.

3. How does the "Li-ion protection breakdown voltage" work?

The protective circuit in a lithium-ion battery monitors the voltage of the battery and triggers a switch to open when the voltage reaches the "Li-ion protection breakdown voltage." This interrupts the flow of current and protects the battery from overcharging or over-discharging.

4. What happens if the "Li-ion protection breakdown voltage" is exceeded?

If the "Li-ion protection breakdown voltage" is exceeded, it can cause the battery to overheat and potentially catch fire. It can also cause damage to the battery's internal components, which can lead to a decrease in performance and lifespan of the battery.

5. How can I ensure that the "Li-ion protection breakdown voltage" is not exceeded?

To prevent the "Li-ion protection breakdown voltage" from being exceeded, it is important to use a charger and charging cable specifically designed for your lithium-ion battery. It is also important to avoid exposing the battery to extreme temperatures and to monitor the battery's voltage regularly to ensure it is within the recommended range.