Lienard-Wiechert Potential derivation, chain rule

In summary, the conversation discusses the Lienard-Wiechert potential derivation in Robert Wald's E-M book, specifically focusing on the right side term of $$dX(t_\text{ret})/dt$$. The person is unsure about how the chain rule is applied in this equation and mentions footnote 19 as a potential source of clarification. The conversation also includes relevant equations and a reminder about the meaning of $$t_\text{ret}$$.
Pnin
Homework Statement
I am reading a book on my own
Relevant Equations
chain rule
I want to follow the Lienard-Wiechert potential derivation in Robert Wald's E-M book, page 179. I do not understand $$dX(t_\text{ret})/dt$$ on the right side. I assume the chain rule is applied, but I can't see how.

$$ \frac{\partial[x'^i - X^i(t - |\mathbf x - \mathbf x'|/c)]}{\partial x'^j} = \delta^i{}_j - \frac{x^j - x'^j}{c|\mathbf x - \mathbf x'|} \frac{dX^i}{dt}(t_\text{ret}) $$

$$ t_\text{ret} = t - \frac 1c |\mathbf x - \mathbf x'| $$∂[x′i−Xi(t−|x−x′|/c)]∂x′j=δij−xj−x′jc|x−x′|dXidt(tret)

tret=t−1c|x−x′|

Physics news on Phys.org
Pnin said:
Homework Statement:: I am reading a book on my own
Relevant Equations:: chain rule

I want to follow the Lienard-Wiechert potential derivation in Robert Wald's E-M book, page 179. I do not understand $$dX(t_\text{ret})/dt$$ on the right side. I assume the chain rule is applied, but I can't see how.

$$ \frac{\partial[x'^i - X^i(t - |\mathbf x - \mathbf x'|/c)]}{\partial x'^j} = \delta^i{}_j - \frac{x^j - x'^j}{c|\mathbf x - \mathbf x'|} \frac{dX^i}{dt}(t_\text{ret}) $$

$$ t_\text{ret} = t - \frac 1c |\mathbf x - \mathbf x'| $$∂[x′i−Xi(t−|x−x′|/c)]∂x′j=δij−xj−x′jc|x−x′|dXidt(tret)

tret=t−1c|x−x′|
Did you read and understand footnote 19?

Related to Lienard-Wiechert Potential derivation, chain rule

What is the Lienard-Wiechert potential?

The Lienard-Wiechert potential describes the electromagnetic effect of a moving charged particle at a given point in space and time. It represents the scalar and vector potentials due to a point charge moving along an arbitrary trajectory, taking into account the finite speed of light and the time it takes for the electromagnetic influence to propagate.

Why is the chain rule important in the derivation of the Lienard-Wiechert potential?

The chain rule is crucial in the derivation of the Lienard-Wiechert potential because it allows us to correctly differentiate functions that depend on time and space coordinates, which are themselves functions of the retarded time. This helps in accurately capturing the time-dependent nature of the electromagnetic fields generated by a moving charge.

How do you apply the chain rule in the context of the Lienard-Wiechert potential?

To apply the chain rule in the context of the Lienard-Wiechert potential, one needs to differentiate quantities like the distance between the charge and the observation point, which depend on the retarded time. This involves differentiating with respect to the observation time while accounting for the fact that the retarded time is a function of the observation time and the position of the moving charge.

What is the retarded time and how is it used in the derivation?

The retarded time is the time at which an event (such as the emission of electromagnetic radiation by a moving charge) must have occurred so that its influence reaches the observation point at the current time. It is used in the derivation of the Lienard-Wiechert potential to account for the finite speed of light and ensure that the potentials and fields are calculated based on the correct positions and velocities of the moving charge at the time the influence was emitted.

Can you provide a simplified outline of the steps involved in deriving the Lienard-Wiechert potential?

Yes, a simplified outline involves: 1. Expressing the potentials in terms of the charge's position and velocity at the retarded time.2. Applying the chain rule to differentiate these expressions with respect to the observation time.3. Using the relationship between the retarded time, the observation time, and the position of the charge to simplify the expressions.4. Combining these results to obtain the final form of the Lienard-Wiechert potentials, which describe the scalar and vector potentials due to a moving point charge.