Life Improbable In 4D+ Universes

• Thread starter Gold Barz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    4d Life
In summary, the article discusses the possibility of life existing in higher order dimensions, and goes on to state that while it is improbable, it is not impossible.
Astronomy news on Phys.org
http://www.theory.caltech.edu/people/patricia/exp3a.html explains that gravitational waves need at least three dimensions (two dimensions to oscillate in, and one to travel in), so in a universe with two spatial dimensions there could be no so gravitational waves, which means that "curvature in 2+1 spacetime dimensions can only exist locally in regions where matter is present. I.e that means that for the example of a single point mass, the spacetime everywhere around the mass will be flat according to the Einstein equations." So, this backs up the statement on the page you linked to that "At least for FEWER than 4 dimensions on the large scale, that is 1 dimension of time, and 2 dimensions of space, it can be shown from general relativity that in such 'universes' the force of gravity does not exist in a vacuum. It cannot extend outside a body and cause other bodies to feel its effects."

As for the statement that more than three dimensions would also make life almost impossible because planets could no longer have stable orbits, this is confirmed by something written by Stephen Hawking on http://www.hawking.org.uk/text/physics/quantum.html :
On the other hand, four or more spatial dimensions would mean that gravitational and electric forces would fall off faster than the inverse square law. In this situation, planets would not have stable orbits around their star, nor electrons have stable orbits around the nucleus of an atom. Thus intelligent life, at least as we know it, could exist only in four dimensions. I very much doubt we will find a non anthropic explanation.

Last edited by a moderator:
So...it is improbable for life to arise in 4D+ universes...wow, that sucks majorly

In Greg Egan's "Diaspora" he describes in detail a 5 dimensional Star with a “rotational pole” described as a single 2-sphere on the star's 4-dimensional hypersurface that stays fixed in space as the star rotates. in the book very complex life evolved in this polar region: http://gregegan.customer.netspace.net.au/DIASPORA/17/17.html

very speculative [it IS scifi after all- even if well thought-out and reasonable] and quite fascinating!

I still don't see why it is impossible, wouldn't a 5D universe have different laws than a 3D universe does? why do we apply our laws to their laws?

In a 5D (4D + time) universe Newtonian gravity would be proportional to
r-3 not r-2 and gravitational orbits would be unstable, they would decay. Therefore no galaxy, no star, no planets and no life!

Garth

Gold Barz said:
I still don't see why it is impossible, wouldn't a 5D universe have different laws than a 3D universe does? why do we apply our laws to their laws?
They are assuming a universe with the same basic laws but just a different number of spatial dimensions. So yes, if you come up with totally different laws you might be able to imagine a 5D universe where life is possible.

If the 5th dimension is assumed compacted, this problem goes away.

Gold Barz said:
So...it is improbable for life to arise in 4D+ universes...wow, that sucks majorly

Somehow, I feel a strong inclination to bet that life occassionally arises in 4D anyway.

"So yes, if you come up with totally different laws you might be able to imagine a 5D universe where life is possible."

Yes I am assuming that the laws would either be tweaked or completely different in a 5D universe

And maybe a 5D's universe life isn't the same as our life a 3D/4D life...I know it sounds stupid but what if it isn't something we can even begin to fathom...like some weird non-organic life

That assumes higher order dimensional universes exist. It they do, so be it. Do they have observational consequences in this universe? I seriously doubt that. Let's try to reign in our observations to this universe.

Well...yeah, were assuming, we have no way of testing them or testing the theory that states them...I am just fascinated by other dimensional universes

Chronos did you get my last PM?

Related to Life Improbable In 4D+ Universes

1. What is a 4D+ universe?

A 4D+ universe refers to a universe with four or more dimensions. In our everyday experience, we are familiar with three dimensions: length, width, and height. However, in theoretical physics and mathematics, there are theories and models that propose the existence of additional dimensions beyond the three we perceive.

2. Is life in a 4D+ universe even possible?

It is not yet known for certain whether life is possible in a 4D+ universe. However, many scientists believe that the laws of physics and chemistry that govern life on Earth would still hold true in higher dimensions. Some even argue that life may have evolved differently in a 4D+ universe, possibly resulting in forms of life that are vastly different from what we know.

3. How would life in a 4D+ universe be different from our own?

Life in a 4D+ universe would likely have different physical and biological characteristics. For example, beings may have more complex sensory organs to perceive and navigate through higher dimensions. Their biology and metabolism may also be different, as they would need to adapt to the unique conditions of a higher dimensional environment.

4. Are there any potential challenges for life in a 4D+ universe?

Yes, there could be various challenges for life in a 4D+ universe. Some of these could include the ability to adapt to the higher dimensional environment, the availability of resources and energy, and the potential competition with other forms of life. Additionally, the laws of physics in a 4D+ universe may also pose challenges for the survival and evolution of life.

5. How can we study or observe life in a 4D+ universe?

Currently, we do not have the technology to directly study or observe life in a 4D+ universe. However, scientists are working on theoretical models and experiments that could potentially provide insights into the properties and behavior of life in higher dimensions. We may also indirectly study 4D+ life through the detection of signals or signatures that could indicate its presence in the universe.

Back