Lifetime & Branching ratio

In summary, the equation for lifetime in Particle Physics by Martin & Shaw includes the branching ratio because it compensates for the longer lifetime that would occur if the lepton was restricted to only one decay mode. This is achieved by considering the ratio of this decay mode to any available decay mode. The branching ratio, which is less than or equal to one, is divided by the partial width, which is less than or equal to the total width, to determine the lifetime.
malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
[SOLVED] Lifetime & Branching ratio

Hi!

In my book Particle Physics by Martin & Shaw, eq 2.15:

Lifetime:
[tex] \tau _l = \dfrac{B(l^- \rightarrow e^-\bar{\nu }_e\nu _l )}{\Gamma (l^-\rightarrow e^-\bar{\nu }_e\nu _l )} [/tex]

Where B is branching ratio and Gamma the decay rate and l is a lepton.

Why is B included? :S I thought the lifetime just was the inverse of the decay rate...

Physics news on Phys.org
malawi_glenn said:
Hi!

Lifetime:
[tex] \tau _l = \dfrac{B(l^- \rightarrow e^-\bar{\nu }_e\nu _l )}{\Gamma (l^-\rightarrow e^-\bar{\nu }_e\nu _l )} [/tex]

Why is B included? :S I thought the lifetime just was the inverse of the decay rate...

Because this decay rate is not the total decay rate, it's only the decay rat efor that particular mode. The lifetime is the inverse of the total decay rate.

malawi_glenn said:
Hi!

Lifetime:

Well, assuming that;

[tex] \Gamma (l^-\rightarrow e^-\bar{\nu }_e\nu _l ) < \Gamma (l^-\rightarrow anything) [/tex]

you must compensate for the longer lifetime that would occur if you restricted the lepton to that one decay mode. Compensating will require you to consider the ratio of this decay mode versus any available decay mode, which is the branching ratio in the posted equation. Thus, dividing the branching ratio, which is less than or equal to one, by the partial width, which is less than or equal to the total width, is the logical solution.

Ok i think I understand now, perhaps I have not understand the concept of lifetime proper yet. Thanx!

FAQ: Lifetime &amp; Branching ratio

1. What is a lifetime and branching ratio?

A lifetime refers to the average amount of time a particle or system exists before decaying or undergoing a specific process. The branching ratio is the probability of a particular decay or reaction occurring compared to all possible decays or reactions. Together, they give information about the stability and decay pathways of particles and systems.

2. How are lifetime and branching ratio measured?

Lifetime can be measured using various techniques such as particle accelerators, detectors, and spectroscopy. Branching ratio is determined through experiments that measure the different decay products and their relative probabilities.

3. What factors influence lifetime and branching ratio?

Lifetime can be affected by the mass, charge, and spin of a particle, as well as the strength of the interaction responsible for its decay. Branching ratio can be influenced by the energy available for the decay, the number of possible decay channels, and the properties of the decay products.

4. How are lifetime and branching ratio used in research?

Lifetime and branching ratio are important parameters in particle physics and nuclear physics research. They can provide information about fundamental interactions, particle properties, and the structure of nuclei. They are also used in medical physics for diagnostic imaging and cancer treatment.

5. Can lifetime and branching ratio change over time?

Yes, lifetime and branching ratio can change due to changes in the physical conditions of the particle or system, such as temperature or pressure. They can also be influenced by external factors, such as collisions with other particles. In some cases, lifetime and branching ratio can also be affected by theoretical models and calculations.