Lifing in Aviation: Definition & Meaning

• Thread starter Bandersnatch
  • Start date
In summary, Lifing is a process of testing or modelling of durability of components. It is used predominantly in the aviation industry.
Bandersnatch
Science Advisor
Recently I was translating an ISO compliance document for an aviation company, and this word popped up as the name of one of the design subdivisions in the company.

I did manage to figure out that it's some sort of a process of testing or modelling of durability of components, and that it appears to be used predominantly in the aviation industry (is it?), but I'd like to know what it means exactly.

Can anyone here provide a definition, description or otherwise explain the meaning of lifing? (I hope it's not just 42 ;) )

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
As far as I've understood it, it's the act of improving fatigue life or the life of the material in general. Lifing studies might be charts on how fatigue life improves with a development of a process.

I've run across that term a couple times, but I've also never quite got the true meaning.

At first I thought it might be something furries do... ?:) Bandie, your avatar isn't helping disabuse me of that notion... :D

But it's not 'liffing', it's 'life-ing'? i.e. taking the word 'life' (in the context of lifespan of a component) and turning it into a verb?

DaveC426913 said:
At first I thought it might be something furries do... ?:) Bandie, your avatar isn't helping disabuse me of that notion... :D
I beg your pardon, that's how I look.

And yes, it does appear to be lifing, as seen e.g. here: http://www.lambdatechs.com/lifing-analysis.html

I gathered from the above that it's something like what timtheraper described, but it's still very fuzzy in my mind. Is it something like actual tempering of the material to extend the lifespan of a component, or more like testing what the lifespan is?

Bandersnatch said:
testing what the lifespan is?
Possibly something more along the lines of bending it until it breaks, lifespan, then examining various behaviors prior to failure, for either arbitrarily setting a fixed time "service life" or establishing a fixed protocol (number of cracks per riveted seam) for "service life" before replacement/retirement is necessary or recommended. Don't want things quitting on the customers while the product is in the air, but don't want them wondering whether they can't depend on the product either.

Likes Bandersnatch
Bandersnatch said:
I beg your pardon, that's how I look.
I gathered from the above that it's something like what timtheraper described

:w Sorry to call out your typo on my screen name, but this one needs mentioning. :DD I hope in the future everyone will notice that it's "reaper", as in the Grim Reaper.

Likes dragoneyes001
oo)... o:) apologies! Let it be known that not only I misread your name, I also misspelled 'rapper'.
The forum software hasn't got enough eggs for me to plant on my face.

@Bandersnatch that only makes it funnier! I just thought I ought to clear it up in case anyone might mistakenly think I'm a misogynist (or I guess in your case, a hip-hop artist). :w

timthereaper said:
@Bandersnatch that only makes it funnier! I just thought I ought to clear it up in case anyone might mistakenly think I'm a misogynist (or I guess in your case, a hip-hop artist). :w
I thought you were the guy with the scythe but the avatar seems off for that.

so Timthewrapper is wrong too?

but you know reduced to that size the bot in your avatar looks like he has a mic in one hand

dragoneyes001 said:
so Timthewrapper is wrong too?

Unfortunately yes, but you can call me TimtheEnchanter if you want. There are some who call me that.

@phinds, you're right. I do need to update my Gravatar.

Related to Lifing in Aviation: Definition & Meaning

What is the definition of "Life in Aviation"?

"Life in Aviation" refers to the experiences, challenges, and opportunities associated with living and working in the aviation industry. This can include pilots, flight attendants, mechanics, air traffic controllers, and other professionals involved in the operation and maintenance of aircraft.

What does "Life in Aviation" entail?

"Life in Aviation" involves a unique lifestyle that often includes frequent travel, irregular work schedules, and a close-knit community of individuals who share a passion for aviation. It also requires a high level of dedication, responsibility, and attention to detail in order to ensure the safety and efficiency of air travel.

What are some common misconceptions about "Life in Aviation"?

One common misconception about "Life in Aviation" is that it is a glamorous and luxurious lifestyle. While there are certainly perks and benefits to working in the aviation industry, it also involves hard work and a significant amount of training and education. Additionally, many people assume that all aviation professionals are pilots, but there are many other important roles and careers within the industry.

What are some challenges of "Life in Aviation"?

One of the main challenges of "Life in Aviation" is the demanding and unpredictable nature of the job. This can include long hours, overnight shifts, and frequent time away from home. Additionally, there is a high level of responsibility and pressure to ensure the safety of passengers and crew, which can be mentally and emotionally taxing.

What are some rewards of "Life in Aviation"?

Despite the challenges, there are many rewards to "Life in Aviation." These can include a strong sense of camaraderie and teamwork among coworkers, the opportunity to travel and see new places, and the satisfaction of playing a crucial role in the safe and efficient operation of air travel. Additionally, there is often room for career growth and advancement within the industry.

Back