Lift Curve slope of wing , tail fin

In summary, the speaker is seeking help in calculating the lift curve slopes of an aircraft wing, tail, and fin. They have various data including sweep angles, aspect ratios, wing span, mean chord, downwash gradient, speed, and other parameters. They are unsure of how to use the overall aircraft lift curve slope and have found an equation online but are unsure if it is valid. They are also wondering if there is a better method and are unable to find a graphical solution due to a lack of angle of attack data. The response suggests using a different equation for a 3D wing and provides the appropriate equation and aspect ratio formula.
c-note

Homework Statement

Hi Guys,
Its great to be on this forum, some of the posts here have been really useful for me .
Anyway, I am trying to calculate the lift curve slopes of an aircraft wing, tail and fin. (3D wing)

The only data I have are the various quarter chord sweep angles, Aspect ratios of tail,fin wing , wing span, mean chord (c bar), various wing and tail areas , downwash gradient, speed and a couple of other parameters such as CL, CD etc.
I am not sure how to calculate the various lift curve slopes for the wing, tail and fin.
I have also been given the overall aircraft lift curve slope but not sure where to use it.

Homework Equations

I found this equation on the net but am not sure if its valid.
a = 2π / [(0.32 + (0.16 A / cos Λ¼)) (1 - (M cosΛ¼)2)½] per radian

source: http://www.pilotfriend.com/training/flight_training/aero/lift.htm

The Attempt at a Solution

All the parameters in the above equation I do have but I just need to know if anyone recognises this equation or if there is a better method. I can't find it graphically since I do not have any angle of attack data etc.

thanks for any help you can provide,

Physics news on Phys.org
For a 3D wing use:

af = 2pi / (1 + (2 / AR))

and use aspect ratio AR = b^2 / 2

Thanks,

Related to Lift Curve slope of wing , tail fin

1. What is the Lift Curve slope of a wing?

The Lift Curve slope of a wing is a measure of the rate at which lift increases with angle of attack. It is typically represented by the symbol "a" and is expressed in units of lift per degree of angle of attack.

2. How is the Lift Curve slope of a wing calculated?

The Lift Curve slope of a wing is typically calculated by dividing the change in lift by the change in angle of attack. It can also be calculated by using wind tunnel testing or computational fluid dynamics simulations.

3. How does the Lift Curve slope of a wing affect flight?

The Lift Curve slope of a wing is directly related to an aircraft's ability to generate lift. A higher Lift Curve slope means that the wing can generate more lift at a given angle of attack, allowing the aircraft to fly at a lower speed or at a higher angle of attack.

4. What factors affect the Lift Curve slope of a wing?

The Lift Curve slope of a wing can be affected by a variety of factors, including wing shape, airfoil design, wing loading, and wing sweep. Additionally, changes in air density, temperature, and speed can also impact the Lift Curve slope.

5. How does the Lift Curve slope of a tail fin differ from that of a wing?

While the Lift Curve slope of a tail fin is also a measure of lift per degree of angle of attack, it is typically lower than that of a wing. This is because the primary function of a tail fin is to provide stability and control, rather than generating lift.