Light Intensity Meter: Schematic, ICL7107, Eagle & More

In summary: I don't know how to add a digital display to my project. I need to match the output voltage range that they give me for that node.
electronic engineer
This is the schematic of my project (figure7)...but I don't know how to add display (ICL7107) using eagle, and how to power display .. how to connect the output voltage of stage2(second opamp) to the display?
http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~ee205/Labs97S/Lab7/Lab7.html
anyway , take a look at this attachment!
best regards!

Attachments

• Light sensity meter.jpg
    Light sensity meter.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 508
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
That would depend on how your display works. If everything is really from 'scratch', you can implement a simple analog to digital convertor from the output. Scale it accordingly, but there's no reason to go beyond 8 to 10-bit precision. The digital output can then go into proper combinational logic so that the LEDs give you the right numbers.

I've just attached eagle layout file of my circuit.
any advices more wil be appreciated!

best regards!

This is what I meant by a simple ADC (Flash is particularly intuitive - atleast to me):

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electronic/adc.html#c4

About the LED Display and Combinational Logic, one you have a digital signal, you want to display this into something simple you can read off, you will need to input it into one of those seven-segment LED drivers (you know, the look of your calculator). How this will be really configured will depend on the bits coming from your ADC. If you use 3-bit, a total of 8 levels, you will need 1 display (0-9). If you use 4-bit or a total of 16 levels, you will need 2 displays (0-99). This link should be of some help. I can help if you need further clarification.

http://www.play-hookey.com/digital/experiments/seven_seg_driver.html

I've asked about IC7107CPL in electronic markets but they told me that it's available as ADC converter only.and i have to add display and other components that i need by myself .I shocked to hear that cause I thought that this IC contains ADC and display and many features also...
anyway i don't know what to say more but i really need your suggestions my friends

thanks in advance

electronic engineer said:
I've asked about IC7107CPL in electronic markets but they told me that it's available as ADC converter only.and i have to add display and other components that i need by myself .I shocked to hear that cause I thought that this IC contains ADC and display and many features also...
I searched for info on the IC7107 and didn't find much. Do you have the datasheet? Also, the partial schematic that you posted doesn't seem to do much. What exactly are you trying to accomplish? What is your light sensor component exactly? A PIN photodiode, or something else?

This is the datasheet for ICL7107CPL

http://www.datasheetarchive.com/semiconductors/download.php?Datasheet=931883
I use LDR as light sensitive component , it changes its resistance according to the anount of light falling on it

and my link that I've already posted and i post it again has a complete explanation about the function of my circuit

This is the datasheet for ICL7107CPL
http://www.datasheetarchive.com/semiconductors/download.php?Datasheet=931883
I use LDR as light sensitive component , it changes its resistance according to the anount of light falling on it
and my link that I've already posted and i post it again has a complete explanation about the function of my circuit
Seeing your lab assignment helps -- I must have missed the original post of that. But I still don't understand where the ICL7107 display thing comes in. It looks like the display is provided in the lab as part of the lab equipment, from the way that I read the assignment. I could be wrong, but there doesn't seem to be much info on you building a display in the assignment, as opposed to just using a DVM or something in the lab as the display. Just be sure to match the output voltage range that they give you for that node.

berkeman said:
Seeing your lab assignment helps -- I must have missed the original post of that. But I still don't understand where the ICL7107 display thing comes in. It looks like the display is provided in the lab as part of the lab equipment, from the way that I read the assignment. I could be wrong, but there doesn't seem to be much info on you building a display in the assignment, as opposed to just using a DVM or something in the lab as the display. Just be sure to match the output voltage range that they give you for that node.

what do you mean exactly by ouput voltage range, can you help me with datasheet how to add that digital display, anyway the output voltage should be in the range 0-5 volt

please help i don't know how to display my voltage value digitally...

any suggestions more will be appreciated!

please help i don't know how to display my voltage value digitally...
any suggestions more will be appreciated!
Like I said, it looked to me like you were just supposed to display the 0-5V signal on a DVM. Maybe check with your prof or a TA for clarification about the display block shown in the schematic...

FAQ: Light Intensity Meter: Schematic, ICL7107, Eagle & More

1. What is a light intensity meter?

A light intensity meter is a device used to measure the amount of light or luminous flux in a given area. It is commonly used in photography, agriculture, and other fields where light levels are important factors.

2. How does a light intensity meter work?

A light intensity meter works by using a photodetector, such as a photodiode or phototransistor, to convert light into an electrical current. This current is then amplified and converted into a digital reading by an integrated circuit, such as the ICL7107, which is commonly used in light intensity meters.

3. What is the schematic for a light intensity meter?

The schematic for a light intensity meter typically includes a photodetector, an amplifier, an ADC (analog-to-digital converter) such as the ICL7107, and a display. It may also include other components, such as a voltage regulator or calibration circuitry.

4. Can I build my own light intensity meter using the Eagle software?

Yes, it is possible to design and build your own light intensity meter using the Eagle software. Eagle is a popular PCB design software that allows you to create and edit schematics, layout PCBs, and generate manufacturing files for your project.

5. What are the advantages of using an ICL7107 in a light intensity meter?

The ICL7107 has many advantages for use in a light intensity meter, including its low cost, low power consumption, and high accuracy. It also has a built-in voltage reference and can be easily interfaced with a microcontroller for further processing of the light intensity data.

Back