Light Intensity transmitted through the polarized and analyzer

In summary: Your Name]In summary, to find the transmitted light intensity through the polarizer and analyzer, we use Malus' law and the given angle of 21°. We can also use the fact that unpolarized light has an initial intensity of 1/2Io. Plugging in the values, we get I = (1/2Io) * cos^2(21°).
superman2287

Homework Statement

Here is the question:Unpolarized light of intesity Io is incident on a polarizer-analyzer pair. If the angle between the polarizer and analyzer is 21°, what light intensity is transmitted through the polarizer and analyzer respectively?
Your answers will be in terms of Io.

Tbh i just need to find out how to get the unpolarized light of intensity.

givens: angle measure = 21
So far...i don't know how to do this one.

Homework Equations

Equations: I=Iocos^2theta
1/2Io

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have any attempts as i don't know what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. To find the transmitted light intensity through the polarizer and analyzer, we will need to use the Malus' law, which relates the intensity of polarized light to the angle between the polarizer and analyzer. The equation is as follows:

I = Io * cos^2(theta)

Where I is the transmitted light intensity, Io is the incident light intensity, and theta is the angle between the polarizer and analyzer.

In this case, the given angle is 21°, so we can plug that into the equation:

I = Io * cos^2(21°)

We can also use the fact that unpolarized light has equal amounts of light vibrating in all directions, so we can say that the initial intensity, Io, is equivalent to the average intensity of the polarized light, which is 1/2 of the maximum intensity.

Therefore, we can rewrite the equation as:

I = (1/2Io) * cos^2(21°)

This gives us the transmitted light intensity through the polarizer and analyzer.

I hope this helps you with your problem. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Related to Light Intensity transmitted through the polarized and analyzer

1. What is light intensity transmitted through polarized and analyzer?

Light intensity transmitted through polarized and analyzer refers to the amount of light that passes through a polarizing filter and an analyzer filter, which are placed at different angles to each other. This process helps to control the amount of light that is allowed to pass through a specific area, resulting in a change in the intensity of the light.

2. How does polarized and analyzer affect light intensity?

The polarized and analyzer filters work together to block or allow specific orientations of light waves to pass through. When the polarized filter is aligned with the light source, it allows only the waves that are in the same direction to pass through, resulting in a decrease in light intensity. The analyzer filter then further reduces the intensity by only allowing light waves that are aligned with its orientation to pass through.

3. What is the purpose of using polarized and analyzer filters?

The purpose of using polarized and analyzer filters is to control the amount of light that is transmitted through a specific area. This can be useful in various applications, such as photography, where controlling the intensity of light can help to create a desired effect. It can also be used in scientific experiments to analyze the properties of light waves.

4. How does the angle of the polarized and analyzer filters affect light intensity?

The angle between the polarized and analyzer filters plays a crucial role in determining the amount of light that is transmitted. When the filters are parallel to each other, the light intensity is at its maximum. As the angle between the filters increases, the intensity of light decreases. At a 90-degree angle, the filters block all light, resulting in no intensity.

5. Can polarized and analyzer filters be used to completely block light?

No, polarized and analyzer filters cannot completely block light. They can only control the intensity of light that is allowed to pass through. At a specific angle, the filters can block all light, but this is not their intended purpose. The primary function of these filters is to control the intensity of light and not to block it completely.