Light reflecting off sphere -- Momentum transfer

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the momentum transferred onto a sphere of radius R when light of momentum -P\hat{\textbf{k}} is shone on it. The calculation involves finding the component of the area parallel to the light and integrating over one hemisphere. The resulting answer is half the result of the reflection of a disc of the same radius. It is debated whether the same answer should apply for both shapes, but the speaker agrees with the calculation and suggests a shortcut method for finding the same answer.
Dazed&Confused

Homework Statement

Suppose light of momentum [itex]-P\hat{\textbf{k}}[/itex] is shone on a sphere of radius [itex]R[/itex]. What is the momentum transferred onto the sphere?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the transferred momentum upon reflection is given by [itex](-2P\hat{\textbf{k}} \cdot \hat{\textbf{r}} ) \hat{\textbf{r}}[/itex] where [itex]\hat{\textbf{r}}[/itex] is the unit vector perpendicular to the sphere surface. The component of the area parallel to the light is [itex]d\textbf{a} \cdot \hat{\textbf{k}} = R^2 \sin \theta \cos \theta d \phi d \theta[/itex]. Thus integrating over one hemisphere $$ \int -2P \cos^2 \theta \sin \theta \ d \phi \ d \theta \ \hat{\textbf{r}}$$

Only the component of [itex]\hat{\textrm{k}}[/itex] remains and so this becomes $$ \int -2P \cos^3 \theta \sin \theta \ d \phi \ d \theta \ \hat{\textbf{k}} = 4 \pi R^2 P \hat{\textbf{k}} \left [ \frac{\cos^4 \theta}{4} \right ]_{0}^{\pi/2} = -\pi R^2 P \hat{\textbf{k}}$$

which is half the result of the reflection of a disc of radius [itex]R[/itex]. I've told that it should be the same answer for both shapes, but this does not make sense to me. Where have I gone wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dazed&Confused said:

Homework Statement

Suppose light of momentum [itex]-P\hat{\textbf{k}}[/itex] is shone on a sphere of radius [itex]R[/itex]. What is the momentum transferred onto the sphere?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the transferred momentum upon reflection is given by [itex](-2P\hat{\textbf{k}} \cdot \hat{\textbf{r}} ) \hat{\textbf{r}}[/itex] where [itex]\hat{\textbf{r}}[/itex] is the unit vector perpendicular to the sphere surface. The component of the area parallel to the light is [itex]d\textbf{a} \cdot \hat{\textbf{k}} = R^2 \sin \theta \cos \theta d \phi d \theta[/itex]. Thus integrating over one hemisphere $$ \int -2P \cos^2 \theta \sin \theta \ d \phi \ d \theta \ \hat{\textbf{r}}$$

Only the component of [itex]\hat{\textrm{k}}[/itex] remains and so this becomes $$ \int -2P \cos^3 \theta \sin \theta \ d \phi \ d \theta \ \hat{\textbf{k}} = 4 \pi R^2 P \hat{\textbf{k}} \left [ \frac{\cos^4 \theta}{4} \right ]_{0}^{\pi/2} = -\pi R^2 P \hat{\textbf{k}}$$

which is half the result of the reflection of a disc of radius [itex]R[/itex]. I've told that it should be the same answer for both shapes, but this does not make sense to me. Where have I gone wrong?
Why would it be the same for both shapes?

I personally do not think it would be, but that's what my lecturer has said. I'm asking here if the calculation I've done makes sense.

For absorption the answer is the same for both shapes as all that matters is the cross section.

Unless all the light reflects vertically backwards, then it can't be the same.

I can't quite check your integration in my head. It looks okay. I can check when I get back to my desk, if no one else has by then.

Likes Dazed&Confused
I agree with your answer.

Likes Dazed&Confused
Thanks for looking at this.

There's a cute shortcut.
Slicing the sphere into thin equal width sections perpendicular to the incident light, each section has the same surface area (Archimedes) so gets the same light. At a latitude of 45 degrees, the light reflects perpendicularly to its original direction, giving the same force as for the absorption case. At two latitudes equally either side of that, i.e. 45+/-theta, you can average out the reflections to get the same. Hence for the hemisphere it is equivalent to absorption.
Well, maybe not that short, but it avoids the hazards of integration.

Likes Dazed&Confused

Related to Light reflecting off sphere -- Momentum transfer

1. What is light reflecting off a sphere?

Light reflecting off a sphere refers to the phenomenon where a beam of light hits a spherical object and is redirected in a different direction. This can happen with any type of light, such as sunlight or artificial light.

2. How does light reflect off a sphere?

Light reflects off a sphere due to the laws of reflection. When a beam of light hits a spherical object, it bounces off at an equal but opposite angle to the incident ray. This is known as specular reflection.

3. What is momentum transfer in relation to light reflecting off a sphere?

Momentum transfer refers to the transfer of momentum from the light beam to the sphere when the light reflects off of it. This transfer of momentum can result in a change in the motion or direction of the sphere.

4. How does the size of the sphere affect light reflection and momentum transfer?

The size of the sphere can affect light reflection and momentum transfer in several ways. A larger sphere will reflect more light and transfer more momentum than a smaller sphere. Additionally, the curvature of the sphere can also impact the angle at which the light reflects and the direction of the momentum transfer.

5. What are some practical applications of light reflecting off a sphere and momentum transfer?

Light reflecting off a sphere and momentum transfer have many practical applications in science and technology. For example, it is used in optical instruments such as telescopes and microscopes to focus and redirect light. It is also used in solar panels to absorb and convert sunlight into energy. Additionally, momentum transfer is used in laser propulsion systems to move objects through space without the need for traditional fuel sources.