Light Speed: Exploring the Nature of Reality with Jack

In summary, the speed of light is a limit that comes from the laws of physics not being affected by motion at a constant speed. It is an arbitrary number that we take from some of the values that are possible. We don't understand why electromagnetic and gravitational waves cover this much distance and at this much time, but we just measure and build our theories around those values.
jacassidy2
Hey folks, My first post. I'm a retired guy who liked physics in college, but couldn't quite get my head around calculus, so I was never able to confirm the things I learned through mathematical equations. I read primary lit., but I don't have the math skills to understand it. Physics became a lifelong avocation - I love cosmology and quantum mechanics and the internet opens doors to learning. As physics becomes more complex, further away from direct sensory perception, our ability to create understandable and recognizable metaphors (tools for the masses like me who don't have the math skills) becomes almost impossible. I hope this sight can be my savior.

I do have a more complete academic background in metaphysics and epistimology. I find myself looking at recent physics discoveries and using the laws of identity and causality to explore basic assumptions. So here's one.

I'm not asking why light speed is the limit - I understand the law of causality, can't see it before it occurs. I want to know why it isn't a little more or a little less - what truth gives light it's specific speed? It must have something to do with the nature of waves or the environment through which they travel. Einstein's equation, E=MC2, implies that the answer lies in the square root of the inverse relationship between matter and energy. But the result of an equation is not always "THE" answer. (Many current scientists just took a quick deep breath.) Mathematics is the science of measurement, and measurement is not an entity in the universe. Mathematics is a system to confirm aspects of entities -that is, measurement works with the law of identity.

Am I correct that gravitation (space-time curvature) can effect the path of the wave, but not the absolute speed? The answer to this last question will guide my subsequent questions.
TXS, Jack

Physics news on Phys.org
jacassidy2 said:
I'm not asking why light speed is the limit - I understand the law of causality, can't see it before it occurs. I want to know why it isn't a little more or a little less - what truth gives light it's specific speed? It must have something to do with the nature of waves or the environment through which they travel.

You can calculate the speed of light in a vacuum from Maxwell's equations of electrodynamics, discovered in the middle of the nineteenth century. The argument for the speed of a light as a limit comes from requiring that the laws of physics (including Maxwell's) are not affected by motion at a constant speed. To understand more, you You could do worse than read Einstein's 1905 paper "On the electrodynamics of moving bodies" as a starting point. It's easy to find online via Ggoogle.

Am I correct that gravitation (space-time curvature) can effect the path of the wave, but not the absolute speed?
"Absolute speed" has no generally accepted meaning. You might want to google around for "spacetime interval", "proper time", and "Minkowski", but you really want to get these concepts down cold in flat spacetime using Special Relativity before you move into the effects of curvature.

Likes 1 person
The basic idea is the following: all field equations describing wave propagation for fields without mass term (Maxwell, Yang-Mills, Dirac, Klein-Gordon, linearized GR for gravitational waves) must have a certain property for their differential operator called hyperbolicity. The simplest example is an operator

##c^2 \partial_0^2 - \nabla^2##

Non-hyperbolicity means that we are not really talking about a wave equation (but e.g. about diffusion) or that we do not have something like 3-dim. space and 1-dim. time (but e.g. 4 space dimensions and no time at all). An example for a non-hyperbolic differential operator would be to replace the "-" with a "+".

b/c all above mentioned wave equations should respect (local) Lorentz invariance there must be one universal constant called c which applies to all these theories (and that's why the "speed of light" is missleading b/c it does not explain why gravitational waves propagate with the same speed). So having different constants c, c', ... in wave equations for different fields means that all theories with c' ≠ c (where c is the constant in the Lorentz transformation) necessarily violate Lorentz invariance.

So the answer is
1) hyperbolicity
2) Lorentz invariance

Likes 1 person
If your asking that why the value of c is what it is,i.e. 299792458 m/s,I should say that this number isn't so special!Because you can have a different number by just changing the units and there are an infinite number of them(Of course the ones we use are a finite number). So speed of light can be any number...we just take some of them to remain consistent!
But you may ask why electromagnetic and gravitational waves cover this much distance at this much time?The answer is,we don't know!
We just measure such values and build our theories somehow that give us the measured values.

Hello Jack,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and questions about light speed and the nature of reality. It's great to see your interest and passion for physics, even if you weren't able to fully pursue it in your academic career.

You are correct that mathematics is a tool for understanding and confirming aspects of the universe, but it is not the only tool. As you mentioned, there are other ways to explore and understand physics, such as through metaphysics and epistemology. And while mathematics may not be accessible to everyone, it is still a valuable and important tool for scientists to use in their research.

To answer your question about the specific speed of light, I would point to the fundamental principles of physics that govern the behavior of light. The speed of light is determined by the properties of the medium through which it travels, such as the density and composition of the medium. In a vacuum, where there is no medium to interact with, light travels at a constant speed of approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. This is known as the speed of light in a vacuum, and it is a fundamental constant in physics.

You are also correct that gravity can affect the path of light, as it can bend the fabric of space-time. However, this does not change the absolute speed of light. The speed of light is a constant, regardless of the gravitational forces acting upon it.

I hope this helps answer your questions and guide your further exploration into the nature of reality and the role of physics in understanding it. Keep asking questions and never stop learning!

Best,

Related to Light Speed: Exploring the Nature of Reality with Jack

1. What is light speed and why is it important to study?

Light speed is the speed at which light travels through a vacuum, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. It is important to study because it is the fastest possible speed in the universe and plays a crucial role in many aspects of physics and our understanding of the nature of reality.

2. How does light speed affect time and space?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, as an object's speed approaches the speed of light, time slows down and space contracts. This phenomenon, known as time dilation and length contraction, has been confirmed through experiments and has significant implications for our understanding of the universe.

3. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

According to our current understanding of physics, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass also increases, making it more and more difficult to accelerate. This is known as the mass-energy equivalence, or E=mc^2.

4. How does light speed impact the concept of causality?

The concept of causality states that an effect must always occur after its cause. However, at the speed of light, time stops and cause and effect become relative. This raises questions about the nature of causality and how it applies to events that occur at or near the speed of light.

5. What are some practical applications of light speed research?

Light speed research has led to numerous practical applications, such as the development of GPS technology, fiber optics, and laser technology. It has also enabled us to study distant objects in the universe and gain a better understanding of the origins and structure of the universe.