Likelihood function of a gamma distribution

In summary, the likelihood function is the product of individual pdf's, each representing a gamma distribution with support for x1...xn, a, and b greater than 0. It is numerically equal to the pdf in this case, but is not a pdf itself and does not integrate to 1.
Jamie_H

Homework Statement

Hi all, I missed the day of class where we went over likelihood functions, and I'm quite confused!
For example, let's say I have n Xis, where each Xi ~ Gamma(a,b), where a and b are unknown.
I want to find the likelihood function of a and b, but I don't think I really understand what this represents. (Please note - I am not looking for the maximum likelihood estimator! Just the likelihood function - when I attempt to find an explanation this seems to be the only thing that comes up)

Homework Equations

The class notes for that day explain that the likelihood function is the same as the pdf in this case, so
[(b^a)/(Gamma(a)]*x(a-1)e^(-bx), a fact verified with wikipedia. No idea why though!

The Attempt at a Solution

Truthfully, I'm not sure where to start here, so I don't have much of an attempt yet. I imagine this is fairly straight-forward/there is an obvious explanation as to why the pdf and likelihood function are the same, and I'm just missing it.
Thanks in advance - I really appreciate it! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Jamie_H said:

Homework Statement

Hi all, I missed the day of class where we went over likelihood functions, and I'm quite confused!
For example, let's say I have n Xis, where each Xi ~ Gamma(a,b), where a and b are unknown.
I want to find the likelihood function of a and b, but I don't think I really understand what this represents. (Please note - I am not looking for the maximum likelihood estimator! Just the likelihood function - when I attempt to find an explanation this seems to be the only thing that comes up)

Homework Equations

The class notes for that day explain that the likelihood function is the same as the pdf in this case, so
[(b^a)/(Gamma(a)]*x(a-1)e^(-bx), a fact verified with wikipedia. No idea why though!

The Attempt at a Solution

Truthfully, I'm not sure where to start here, so I don't have much of an attempt yet. I imagine this is fairly straight-forward/there is an obvious explanation as to why the pdf and likelihood function are the same, and I'm just missing it.
Thanks in advance - I really appreciate it! :)

The likelihood function is numerically equal to the pdf of x in this case, but is not a pdf itself; that is, the likelihood does not integrate to 1 when you integrate over a and/or b for fixed x! And, if you read the Wiki article *carefully* you will come to realize that. That same article also gives examples similar to your question.

Hi Ray,
Thanks for your help - I reread the page and I think I have a much firmer grasp of the concept. (This page https://onlinecourses.science.psu.edu/stat504/node/27 also does a nice job of offering some explanations with examples, in case anyone finds this with questions similar to mine.)

Sorry - I thought I understood this but I think I'm still a little confused. I understand why the likelihood function isn't a PDF, and I think I have a fairly good understanding of what it represents at this point. My only confusion lies in how the likelihood function is obtained. I don't see why it is necessarily numerically equal to the pdf?
Thanks again for your help!

Jamie_H said:
Sorry - I thought I understood this but I think I'm still a little confused. I understand why the likelihood function isn't a PDF, and I think I have a fairly good understanding of what it represents at this point. My only confusion lies in how the likelihood function is obtained. I don't see why it is necessarily numerically equal to the pdf?
Thanks again for your help!

Well, you compute it by substituting the value of x and calculating the pdf. For a sample x_1, x_2, ..., x_n you compute the multivariate pdf = product of individual pdf's at the different values. That is just a *definition*.

Ray Vickson said:
Well, you compute it by substituting the value of x and calculating the pdf. For a sample x_1, x_2, ..., x_n you compute the multivariate pdf = product of individual pdf's at the different values. That is just a *definition*.

Yeah that's the definition I had found, but what confuses me is that isn't each individual pdf a gamma distribution? So we would have a [gamma]^n for the range of x_1,...,x_n?
As a second (slightly related question) I understand its not a pdf in this case, but i am I correct in believing the likelihood function still has a pdf (and further that the support is a>0, b>0?)
Again, sorry I'm having so much trouble with this, i really appreciate the help

Jamie_H said:
Yeah that's the definition I had found, but what confuses me is that isn't each individual pdf a gamma distribution? So we would have a [gamma]^n for the range of x_1,...,x_n?
As a second (slightly related question) I understand its not a pdf in this case, but i am I correct in believing the likelihood function still has a pdf (and further that the support is a>0, b>0?)
Again, sorry I'm having so much trouble with this, i really appreciate the help

I have nothing more to say that is new or different from what went before. I am now signing off.

So I don't know why this was so hard for me to grasp, but in case anyone has a similar question, the answer I've arrived at is that the likelihood function is indeed {pdf of gamma}^n,
with the support x1...xn>0, a>0, b>0.

Related to Likelihood function of a gamma distribution

What is a likelihood function?

A likelihood function is a mathematical function that represents the probability of obtaining a set of data given a specific statistical model and its parameters. It is often used in statistical inference to estimate the parameters of a population based on a sample of data.

What is a gamma distribution?

A gamma distribution is a continuous probability distribution that is often used to model the distribution of positively skewed data, such as the waiting time for a rare event to occur. It is characterized by two parameters, shape and scale, and its shape can vary from exponential to normal depending on the values of these parameters.

What is the likelihood function of a gamma distribution?

The likelihood function of a gamma distribution is the probability density function (PDF) of the distribution, viewed as a function of the parameters. It represents the probability of obtaining a set of data from a gamma distribution with specific values of the shape and scale parameters.

How is the likelihood function of a gamma distribution used in statistics?

The likelihood function of a gamma distribution is used in maximum likelihood estimation, a method for estimating the parameters of a statistical model by maximizing the likelihood function. It is also used in hypothesis testing and model selection to compare the fit of different models to a given set of data.

Can the likelihood function of a gamma distribution be used for any type of data?

No, the likelihood function of a gamma distribution is only appropriate for data that can be modeled by a gamma distribution, such as waiting times or income data. It is important to choose a statistical model that is appropriate for the type of data being analyzed.

Back