Find A, B with Limx->infinity Equation

• Thread starter Dell
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding values for A and B that satisfy the equation Limx->infinity x*((x3+x2+ax)(1/3)-(x3-bx)(1/3)) = 3. The speaker initially suggests using L'Hopital's rule, but then realizes that it may become too complicated. Another speaker suggests taking the natural log of both sides and using algebra to solve for A and B. However, the first speaker realizes that the expression cannot be simplified further and concludes that the limit is impossible to evaluate, regardless of the values of A and B.
Dell
find the values for A,B such that

Limx->infinity x*((x3+x2+ax)(1/3)-(x3-bx)(1/3)) = 3

what i thought was

t=1/x

Limt->0 1/t*((1/t3+1/t2+a/t)(1/3)-(1/t3-b/t)(1/3)) = 3

Limt->0 1/t*((1/t3+1/t2+a/t)(1/3)-(1/t3-b/t)(1/3)) = 3

since here we have 0/0 i can use l'hopital's law, but it looks like its going to get really ugly whith too manu terms,

also how can i solve for both A and B when i have only one equation

Physics news on Phys.org
Before you let x --> oo, take the natural log of both sides. I think a little algebra will take you farther than L'Hospital's rule. At first glance, I would say you will have a hard time finding any value of a and b that work. But perhaps "none" is the answer.

what will logs help, i have subtraction between the 2 roots

[tex]\ln{(A-B)} = \ln{\left (\frac A B\right)}[/tex]

LCKurtz said:
[tex]\ln{(A-B)} = \ln{\left (\frac A B\right)}[/tex]

No no,
log(a) - log(b) = log(a/b)

Aaargh! Forgot to engage brain. In a danger zone. Still reeling from Super Bowl sunday. What can I say?

I approached the question by first factoring out x1/3 from the bracketted expression. with the remaining surdic expression, i rationalised the numerator in terms of cube roots so the numerator i would have
[(x2 + x + a) - (x2 - b)] = x + a + b in it.
I rearranged the x4/3 in the numerator to 1/(1/x4/3) so i would have as the denominator f(x)/x4/3
where f(x) was the expression i used to rationalise the numerator.

using lim (f(x)/g(x)) = lim(f(x))/lim(g(x)), i evaluated the limit for the denominator and got 3 as the result.

so that means lim (x->infinity) (x + a + b) = 9

all linear functions i know of tend towards infinity as x tends towards infinity. thus, the limit is impossible no matter what value of a or b. at least that's what i got.

Related to Find A, B with Limx->infinity Equation

What is the purpose of finding A and B with the limit equation?

The purpose of finding A and B with the limit equation is to determine the behavior of a function as x approaches infinity. This can help us understand the overall trend or pattern of the function and make predictions about its values at extremely large values of x.

How do you find A and B with the limit equation?

To find A and B with the limit equation, we use a process called "partial fraction decomposition." This involves breaking down a rational function into simpler fractions and then equating the coefficients of the resulting fractions to the coefficients of the original function. This allows us to solve for the values of A and B.

What are the steps involved in solving for A and B?

The steps involved in solving for A and B with the limit equation are:
1. Write the rational function as a sum of simpler fractions.
2. Set up a system of equations by equating the coefficients of the fractions to the coefficients of the original function.
3. Solve the system of equations to find the values of A and B.
4. Check the solution by plugging in the values of A and B into the original function and verifying that the limit at infinity exists.

What does the value of A and B tell us about the function?

The values of A and B tell us about the behavior of the function as x approaches infinity. Specifically, A represents the horizontal asymptote of the function, while B affects the rate at which the function approaches the asymptote. A larger value of B would indicate a faster approach to the asymptote, while a smaller value of B would indicate a slower approach.

Can we use this method to find A and B for any function?

Yes, this method can be used to find A and B for any rational function. However, the process may become more complicated for more complex functions with higher degrees or multiple variables. In these cases, it may be helpful to use a computer algebra system or consult a more advanced mathematical resource.