Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Limit
Integration
1701219971027.png

My attempt:
(a)
I don't think I completely understand the question. By "evaluate ##\lim_{n\to \infty f_n (x)}##", does the question ask in numerical value or in terms of ##x##?

As ##x## approaches 1 or -1, the value of ##f_n (x)## approaches zero. As ##x## approaches zero, the value of ##f_n (x)## approaches ##\frac{n+1}{2}## so if ##n \to \infty##, then ##f_n (0) \to \infty##.

There would be a certain value of ##x \in [-1,1]## where ##\lim_{n\to \infty} f_n (x)=\infty## so the limit does not exist.

Does it make any sense?(b)
$$\lim_{n\to \infty} \int_{-1}^{1} f_n (x) dx$$
$$=\lim_{n\to \infty} \int_{-1}^{1} \frac{n+1}{2} (1-|x|)^n dx$$
$$=\lim_{n\to \infty} \frac{n+1}{2} \int_{-1}^{1} (1-x)^n dx$$
$$=\lim_{n\to \infty} \frac{n+1}{2} \left[-\frac{1}{n+1} (1-x)^{n+1}\right]^{1}_{-1} dx$$
$$=\lim_{n\to \infty} (2)^n$$

The limit does not converge so it does not exist. Is this correct?

Thanks

Edit: wait, I realize my mistake for (b). I will revise it in post#2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
(b)
$$\lim_{n \to \infty} \int_{-1}^{1} f_n (x) dx$$
$$=\lim_{n\to \infty} \frac{n+1}{2}\left(\int_{-1}^{0} (1+x)^n dx + \int_{0}^{1} (1-x)^n dx\right)$$
$$=\lim_{n\to \infty} \frac{n+1}{2} \left(\frac{1}{n+1}[(1+x)^{n+1}]_{-1}^{0} - \frac{1}{n+1} [(1-x)^{n+1}]_{0}^{1}\right)$$
$$=1$$

Have you seen some of the results/theorems regarding convergence of Integrals, like Monotone, Dominated Convergence, etc?

Likes songoku
songoku said:
(a)
I don't think I completely understand the question. By "evaluate ##\lim_{n\to \infty f_n (x)}##", does the question ask in numerical value or in terms of ##x##?
This is called the pointwise limit or pointwise convergence. For each ##x## you have a sequence ##f_n(x)## and you are asked to calculate the limit of this sequence.
songoku said:
As ##x## approaches 1 or -1, the value of ##f_n (x)## approaches zero. As ##x## approaches zero, the value of ##f_n (x)## approaches ##\frac{n+1}{2}## so if ##n \to \infty##, then ##f_n (0) \to \infty##.

There would be a certain value of ##x \in [-1,1]## where ##\lim_{n\to \infty} f_n (x)=\infty## so the limit does not exist.

Does it make any sense?
This is not quite right. What is ##\lim_{n \to \infty} f_n(0)##? And, for ##x \ne 0##, what is ##\lim_{n \to \infty} f_n(x)##?

songoku said:
(b)
$$\lim_{n \to \infty} \int_{-1}^{1} f_n (x) dx$$
$$=\lim_{n\to \infty} \frac{n+1}{2}\left(\int_{-1}^{0} (1+x)^n dx + \int_{0}^{1} (1-x)^n dx\right)$$
$$=\lim_{n\to \infty} \frac{n+1}{2} \left(\frac{1}{n+1}[(1+x)^{n+1}]_{-1}^{0} - \frac{1}{n+1} [(1-x)^{n+1}]_{0}^{1}\right)$$
$$=1$$
That's right, although you could have saved some work by noting that the function is even (symmetrical about the y-axis).

If you are wondering about the purpose of this question, you have a sequence of functions whose limit looks like the Dirac Delta function.

Likes songoku, SammyS and fresh_42
WWGD said:
Have you seen some of the results/theorems regarding convergence of Integrals, like Monotone, Dominated Convergence, etc?
I have not

PeroK said:
This is called the pointwise limit or pointwise convergence. For each ##x## you have a sequence ##f_n(x)## and you are asked to calculate the limit of this sequence.

This is not quite right. What is ##\lim_{n \to \infty} f_n(0)##? And, for ##x \ne 0##, what is ##\lim_{n \to \infty} f_n(x)##?
$$\lim_{n \to \infty} f_n(0)=\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{n+1}{2} (1)^n=\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{n+1}{2} \to \text{diverge}$$

For ##x \ne 0, \lim_{n \to \infty} f_n(x)=0##

So:
$$\lim_{n\to \infty} f_n (x) = f(x) =
\begin{cases}
\text{does not exist }&\text{if } x = 0 \\
0 & \text{if } x \neq 0, x \in [-1,1]
\end{cases}
$$

Is that correct? Thanks

songoku said:
I have not$$\lim_{n \to \infty} f_n(0)=\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{n+1}{2} (1)^n=\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{n+1}{2} \to \text{diverge}$$

For ##x \ne 0, \lim_{n \to \infty} f_n(x)=0##

So:
\begin{cases}
\end{cases}
$$

Is that correct? Thanks
Yes. If ##x\neq 0## then ##1-|x| = r\in [0,1)## and ##r^n ## goes faster to zero than ##n## goes to infinity.

The meaning of this exercise is that ##1= \lim \int \neq \int \lim =0.##

Pointwise convergence does in general not allow for exchange limits and integrals.

The theorem that grants the exchange requires ##|f_n|<h ## and ##\int h <\infty .##

Last edited:
Likes PeroK and songoku
Thank you very much for all the help and explanation WWGD, PeroK, fresh_42

Likes WWGD
songoku said:
Thank you very much for all the help and explanation WWGD, PeroK, fresh_42
P.S.: The phenomenon is called the vanishing mass at infinity. The "buckle" can vanish to the left or right, e.g. if you consider functions like ##g_n =\chi([0,1])-\chi([n,n+1])## where ##\chi ## is the indicator function (##=1## on the interval, and ##=0## elsewhere), or as in the case of the ##f_n## above to the top by getting larger and larger and slimmer and slimmer at the same time.

Likes songoku
songoku said:
So:
\begin{cases}
\end{cases}
$$

Is that correct? Thanks
I would say:
$$\lim_{n\to \infty} f_n (x) =
\begin{cases}
+\infty&\text{if } x = 0 \\
\end{cases}
$$

Likes songoku

Related to Limit and Integration of ##f_n (x)##

What is the limit of a sequence of functions ##f_n(x)##?

The limit of a sequence of functions ##f_n(x)##, denoted as ##\lim_{n \to \infty} f_n(x)##, is a function ##f(x)## such that for every ##x## in the domain, the sequence of real numbers ##f_n(x)## converges to ##f(x)## as ##n## approaches infinity. This means that for any given ##\epsilon > 0##, there exists an ##N## such that for all ##n \geq N##, ##|f_n(x) - f(x)| < \epsilon##.

What is uniform convergence of a sequence of functions ##f_n(x)##?

Uniform convergence of a sequence of functions ##f_n(x)## to a function ##f(x)## means that the convergence happens uniformly for all ##x## in the domain. Formally, ##f_n(x) \to f(x)## uniformly if for every ##\epsilon > 0##, there exists an ##N## such that for all ##n \geq N## and for all ##x## in the domain, ##|f_n(x) - f(x)| < \epsilon##.

How does the limit of a sequence of functions relate to integration?

The relationship between the limit of a sequence of functions and integration is often described by the Dominated Convergence Theorem and the Monotone Convergence Theorem. The Dominated Convergence Theorem states that if ##f_n(x)## converges pointwise to ##f(x)## and is dominated by an integrable function ##g(x)## (i.e., ##|f_n(x)| \leq g(x)## for all ##n##), then ##\lim_{n \to \infty} \int f_n(x) \, dx = \int \lim_{n \to \infty} f_n(x) \, dx##. The Monotone Convergence Theorem states that if ##f_n(x)## is a monotone increasing sequence of non-negative measurable functions, then ##\lim_{n \to \infty} \int f_n(x) \, dx = \int \lim_{n \to \infty} f_n(x) \, dx##.

What is the difference between pointwise convergence and uniform convergence?

Pointwise convergence of a sequence of functions ##f_n(x)## to a function ##f(x)## means that for each fixed ##x## in the domain, ##f_n(x)## converges to ##f(x)## as ##n## approaches infinity. Uniform convergence, on the other hand, requires that the convergence