Limit as x tends to infinity, without Laurent

In summary, the author attempted to find the limit for x(x+9/2x) without using the Laurent series, but found that it did not converge.
Skeptic.

Homework Statement

I want to find the following limit, ## \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty } x( \sqrt{ x^{2} +9} -x) ##, without using the Laurent series

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the Laurent Series to expand the square root, giving ## x((x+\frac{9}{2x})-x)##, then giving the limit as ##\frac{9}{2}## . How would one go about this question without using the above method?

Physics news on Phys.org
limx→∞x(√ x2+9−x)
... to me that reads:$$\lim_{x\to\infty}x\sqrt{x^2-x+9}$$ ... I don't think that converges: perhaps you meant to write something different.

Mostly someone would deal with a limit like that by remembering how the functions work for the limit in question.
i.e. as x gets very big, large powers of x will come to dominate a sum.

So: $$\lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^4-2x+9000}}=\lim_{x\to\infty}\frac{1}{x} = 0$$ ... which you can check on a calculator.

I find it suggestive that the 9 under the root is a square number - so if you want to be more rigorous-ish, try completing the square, look for a substitution maybe?

Last edited:
Skeptic. said:

Homework Statement

I want to find the following limit, ## \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty } x( \sqrt{ x^{2} +9} -x) ##, without using the Laurent series

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the Laurent Series to expand the square root, giving ## x((x+\frac{9}{2x})-x)##, then giving the limit as ##\frac{9}{2}## . How would one go about this question without using the above method?

Simon Bridge said:
... to me that reads:$$\lim_{x\to\infty}x\sqrt{x^2-x+9}$$ ... I don't think that converges: perhaps you meant to write something different.
The OP has something different. I don't believe it was edited, but perhaps it was.

@Skeptic, multiply by ##\sqrt{x^2 + 9} + x## over itself, and you'll be able to take the limit.

Oh I see - my display is not showing the line over the square-root in post #1, and it didn't drag to quote in my reply either - but I do see it quoted in post #3.
Cheers.

FAQ: Limit as x tends to infinity, without Laurent

1. What does "limit as x tends to infinity" mean?

The limit as x tends to infinity refers to the value that a function approaches as the independent variable (x) gets larger and larger. It is a way to describe the behavior of a function as the input values become extremely large.

2. How do you calculate the limit as x tends to infinity?

To calculate the limit as x tends to infinity, you can use the following steps:
1. Plug in a very large number for x and evaluate the function.
2. Repeat this process with even larger numbers for x.
3. If the values of the function are approaching a single number, that number is the limit as x tends to infinity.
4. If the values of the function are getting closer and closer to positive or negative infinity, then the limit does not exist.

3. What does "without Laurent" mean in the context of a limit as x tends to infinity?

In mathematics, a Laurent series is a representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms. When we say "without Laurent" in the context of a limit as x tends to infinity, we are specifying that the function does not have any terms in its Laurent series that would affect the limit as x tends to infinity.

4. Can a function have a limit as x tends to infinity without Laurent?

Yes, a function can have a limit as x tends to infinity without Laurent. This means that the function does not have any terms in its Laurent series that would affect the limit as x tends to infinity. In other words, the behavior of the function as x approaches infinity is not influenced by any additional terms in its representation.

5. What is the significance of calculating the limit as x tends to infinity without Laurent?

Calculating the limit as x tends to infinity without Laurent allows us to determine the asymptotic behavior of a function, which is important in many areas of mathematics and science. It can also help us understand the long-term behavior of a function and make predictions about its values at extremely large input values.