Limit Comparison Test for Divergence: Solving Problems with a_n/b_n

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the limit comparison test and the direct comparison test when determining the convergence or divergence of a series. The speaker questions the necessity of using the limit comparison test and argues that the direct comparison test can be used instead by comparing the series with a known divergent or convergent series. However, it is explained that in order to use the direct comparison test, it is necessary to show that the series being compared to is either convergent or divergent.
MillerGenuine

Homework Statement

[tex]
\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1+4^n}{1+3^n}
where a_n= \frac{1+4^n}{1+3^n} and b_n= \frac{4^n}{3^n}
[/tex]

Homework Equations

I know how to do this problem, you take the limit as "n" goes to infinity of a_n/b_n ... which after a good amount of algebra ends up being 1. which is greater than zero. once i do this I go on to the next step which is...

[tex]
\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{4^n}{3^n}
[/tex]

ok so now once i get this I see that it is a geometric series where r= 4/3 which is greater than 1..which means the series Diverges by limit comparison test.

Easy enough probelm..but my question is what's with the hole limit comparison test portion? can't i just see my b_n= 4^n/3^n and therefore seeing its a geometric series, skipping the limit test all together and moving straight to Direct Comparison Test.. the second step i showed above. I tried doing this (skipping limit test) for a few problems in my book and they ended up being the same...so please tell me..whats with the foreplay of finding the limit, when it seems i can just go straight to Direct Comparison test by using my b_n to see if its a Geometric series or P-series?

Physics news on Phys.org
MillerGenuine said:

Homework Statement

[tex]
\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1+4^n}{1+3^n}
where a_n= \frac{1+4^n}{1+3^n} and b_n= \frac{4^n}{3^n}
[/tex]

Homework Equations

I know how to do this problem, you take the limit as "n" goes to infinity of a_n/b_n ... which after a good amount of algebra ends up being 1. which is greater than zero. once i do this I go on to the next step which is...

[tex]
\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{4^n}{3^n}
[/tex]

ok so now once i get this I see that it is a geometric series where r= 4/3 which is greater than 1..which means the series Diverges by limit comparison test.

Easy enough probelm..but my question is what's with the hole limit comparison test portion? can't i just see my b_n= 4^n/3^n and therefore seeing its a geometric series, skipping the limit test all together and moving straight to Direct Comparison Test.. the second step i showed above. I tried doing this (skipping limit test) for a few problems in my book and they ended up being the same...so please tell me..whats with the foreplay of finding the limit, when it seems i can just go straight to Direct Comparison test by using my b_n to see if its a Geometric series or P-series?
I think that you are misunderstanding the direct comparison test. In the comparison test, if an is the general term of the series you're testing, and bn is the general term of the series you're testing against, if you think your series diverges, then you need to show that an > bn, where bn is the general term of a divergent series.

OTOH, if you think your series converges, then you need to show that an < bn, where this time bn is the general term of a convergent series.

For the series in this problem, can you show that
[tex]\frac{1 + 4^n}{1 + 3^n} > \frac{4^n}{3^n}[/tex]?

Maybe you're thinking you need to use both tests - you don't. Many times it's more convenient to use the limit comparison test, since it can be difficult to establish the inequality of the direct comparison test.

For the series in this problem, can you show that [tex]\frac{1 + 4^n}{1 + 3^n} > \frac{4^n}{3^n}[/tex]

?
What do you mean by "can i show" ?

Maybe you're thinking you need to use both tests - you don't.

For all the limit comparison test problems in my book, as well as problems shown in lecture, It always shows the problem worked by first showing (proving) limit a_n/b_n > 0
Then once this is shown they always seem to take the summation of b_n and show that it is either a p-series/g-series/harmonic..as if this is the ultimate conclusion as to why the series converges (as i showed in the above example). Making it seem like taking the limit is unnecessary.

What I mean by "can you show ..." is that when you use direct comparison, you need to show that your series is term-by-term larger than some known divergent series, or term-by-term smaller than some known convergent series. The other two possibilities (your series is smaller than a known divergent series, or your series is larger than a known convergent series) don't provide any guidance.

Both kinds of tests -- limit comparison and direct comparison -- require that you compare the series you're investigating with a series whose behavior is known. When your text shows that lim a_n/b_n > 0, it's only half done. All this shows is that the series being investigated has the same behavior as [itex]\sum b_n[/itex]. To complete the work, they are showing that the series being compared to converges or diverges, thus the series they're actually working with does the same.

OHH! Ok that makes sense now. So your showing that your series has the same behavior as b_n, and then you must show that your b_n is convergent in order to make the comparison that a_n is convergent as well. I guess its in the title, Direct comparison test. wow ok perfect. Thank you

FAQ: Limit Comparison Test for Divergence: Solving Problems with a_n/b_n

What is the Limit Comparison test?

The Limit Comparison test is a method used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series by comparing it to a known series that has a known convergence or divergence.

When should the Limit Comparison test be used?

The Limit Comparison test should be used when the series in question is difficult to analyze using other methods, such as the Ratio or Root tests. It is also useful when dealing with series that have alternating signs or contain factorial terms.

How is the Limit Comparison test performed?

To perform the Limit Comparison test, the given series is compared to a known series by taking the limit of the quotient of their respective terms as n approaches infinity. If the limit is a positive, finite value, then both series have the same convergence or divergence behavior. If the limit is zero or infinity, then the series have opposite convergence or divergence behavior. If the limit is indeterminate, another method should be used.

What are the advantages of using the Limit Comparison test?

One advantage of using the Limit Comparison test is that it can be used on a wide range of series, including those with alternating signs or factorial terms. It also allows for a quick determination of convergence or divergence without having to calculate the sum of the series.

What are some common mistakes when using the Limit Comparison test?

One common mistake when using the Limit Comparison test is using the wrong known series for comparison. It is important to choose a known series that has a similar behavior to the given series. Another mistake is not simplifying the terms of the series before taking the limit, which can lead to incorrect results.