Limit definition and infinitely often

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of limit and the notation "infinitely often" in relation to a sequence of real numbers. The speaker suggests that the probability of the difference between the numbers being less than a certain value is equal to one, but this cannot be determined without specifying a random variable and its probability distribution.
adnaps1
Limit definition and "infinitely often"

If we have a sequence of real numbers [itex]x_{n}[/itex] converging to [itex]x[/itex], that means [itex]\forall \epsilon > 0, \exists N [/itex] such that [itex] |x_n - x| < \epsilon, \forall n \geq N.[/itex]

So, can we say [itex] P (|x_n - x| < \epsilon \ i.o.) = 1[/itex] because for [itex]n \geq N[/itex], [itex] |x_n - x| < \epsilon [/itex] always holds?

Physics news on Phys.org

adnaps1 said:
So, can we say [itex] P (|x_n - x| < \epsilon \ i.o.) = 1 [/itex]

Is that notation suppose to denote a probability? It doesn't define a probability until you establish a scenario that specifies at least one random variable and its probability distribution. Are you thinking of "picking an x_i at random"? Or did you mean the [itex] x_i [/itex] to be a sequence of real valued random variables instead of a sequence of real numbers? (If the [itex] x_i [/itex] are random variables, you have to use a different definition of limit than the one you gave.)

Yes, the notation [itex] P(\cdot) [/itex] was supposed to denote a probability, and I want the [itex] x_i [/itex] to be a sequence of real numbers, not random variables. But I understand what you're saying. I cannot talk about probabilities without having a random variable.

Related to Limit definition and infinitely often

1. What is a limit definition?

A limit definition is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value. It is used to define the value of a function at a specific point, even if the function is not defined at that point.

2. How is a limit definition written?

A limit definition is typically written in the form "lim x→a f(x) = L", where "x" represents the input, "a" represents the value the input is approaching, "f(x)" represents the function, and "L" represents the limit or the value the function approaches.

3. What does "infinitely often" mean in a limit definition?

"Infinitely often" means that the input is approaching the specified value an infinite number of times. This is important in a limit definition because it ensures that the function is approaching the same value from both sides of the specified point.

4. How is a limit definition used in calculus?

A limit definition is used in calculus to calculate the slope of a curve at a specific point, which is known as the derivative. It is also used to determine the area under a curve, which is known as the integral.

5. Can a function have a limit if it is not defined at a certain point?

Yes, a function can have a limit even if it is not defined at a certain point. This is because the limit definition takes into account the behavior of the function as the input approaches the specified value, not necessarily the value of the function at that point. However, the function must have the same limit from both sides of the specified point for the limit to exist.