Limit definition of a derivative

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the derivative of f(x)=\sqrt{3x+1} and the use of conjugates in solving for the limit definition of a derivative. Ultimately, the solution involved dividing the numerator and denominator by h and simplifying to reach the correct answer of \frac{3}{2\sqrt{3x+1}}.
crybllrd

Homework Statement

I had my second exam last week for my Calculus I course. I did alright, but we are supposed to correct them and bring them back for a quiz grade. However, I wasn't sure how to do this one on the test, and did not magically figure it out since then :)

Find the derivative of [tex]f(x)=\sqrt{3x+1}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]f'(x)=\frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]f'(x)=\frac{\sqrt{3(x+h)+1}-\sqrt{3x+1}}{h}[/tex]

I have a hard time with these limit definitions of a derivative when it involves a square root. I am thinking that I need to use a conjugate, but I am really not sure how.

Physics news on Phys.org
Multiply numerator and denominator by sqrt(3(x+h)+1)+sqrt(3x+1), right? That's the usual conjugate thing.

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{3(x+h)+1}-\sqrt{3x+1}}{h}\cdot \frac{\sqrt{3(x+h)+1}+\sqrt{3x+1}}{\sqrt{3(x+h)+1}+\sqrt{3x+1}}[/tex]

I am not sure about the denominator on this next step:

[tex]\frac{3h}{h(\sqrt{3(x+h)+1}+\sqrt{3x+1})}[/tex]

I know the answer should be

[tex]\frac{3}{2\sqrt{3x+1}}[/tex]

How do I get to that?

There should be an obvious step to simplify
[tex]\frac{3h}{h(\sqrt{3(x+h)+ 1}+ \sqrt{3x+1})}[/tex]

and after that you can take the limit by just taking h= 0.

OK thanks, I got it figured out from here. I just needed to divide top and bottom by h, then distribute under the radical, the remaining h equals zero, and I ended up with the correct answer.
Thanks again!

Related to Limit definition of a derivative

1. What is the limit definition of a derivative?

The limit definition of a derivative is a mathematical expression that describes the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a given point. It is written as the limit of the change in the function divided by the change in the independent variable, as the change in the independent variable approaches zero.

2. Why is the limit definition of a derivative important?

The limit definition of a derivative is important because it is the fundamental concept behind calculus and is used to calculate the rates of change in various fields, such as physics, economics, and engineering. It also allows us to find the slope of a curve at a specific point and determine the behavior of a function near that point.

3. How is the limit definition of a derivative different from other definitions of derivatives?

The limit definition of a derivative is different from other definitions because it is the most general and fundamental form. Other definitions, such as the power rule or the quotient rule, are derived from the limit definition and are specific to certain types of functions. The limit definition applies to all types of functions and can be used to find the derivative of any function at any point.

4. What does the notation "f'(x)" represent in the limit definition of a derivative?

The notation "f'(x)" represents the derivative of the function f(x) at a specific point x. It is read as "f prime of x" and is the instantaneous rate of change of the function at that point.

5. How can the limit definition of a derivative be used to solve problems?

The limit definition of a derivative can be used to solve various types of problems, such as finding the slope of a curve at a specific point, finding the equation of a tangent line, optimizing functions, and calculating rates of change in real-world scenarios. It is also used to derive other important concepts in calculus, such as the chain rule and implicit differentiation.