Limit Definition of Indefinite Integrals?

In summary: The definition of the definite integral is based on Riemann sums which are defined using a limit process. You don't need to use reverse differentiation to evaluate a definite integral, you only need to use a definition.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of indefinite integrals and whether there is a way to algebraically manipulate a limit definition to obtain the expected result without using reverse differentiation. It is clarified that indefinite integrals are not unique, unlike derivatives, and that the technique of using definite integrals is often taught as the reverse of differentiation. However, the definition of definite integrals is based on Riemann sums and does not require the use of reverse differentiation.
hddd123456789
Hello,

I was just wondering, we have what could be called the indefinite derivative in the form of d/dx x^2=2x & evaluating at a particular x to get the definite derivative at that x. But with derivation, we can algebraically manipulate the limit definition of a derivative to actually evaluate to 2x from x^2. Is there a similar process available to algebraically manipulate a limit definition of an indefinite integral to get the expected result?

Integration is normally just taught as the reverse of derivation, and while that works of course, I was just curious if there was a way to directly determine the indefinite integral of a function by using limits or differentials.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
A function (if it has a derivative) has a unique derivative. The "indefinite integral" (antiderivative) of a function is not unique. You can apply a definition of integration and obtain a particular indefinite integral of a function f(x). Pick an arbitrary value x = a and compute the area under the curve from x = a to x = b using whatever definition of integration you learned (for example, as the limit of a Riemann sums). The result of this computation gives you a value F(b) that is a function of b. Considering "b" to be a variable itself , F(b) is is an antiderivative of f(x). You could just as well write F(b) as F(x) since the names of variables don't matter when there no relation between the two variables.

Definite Integration is not introduced as the reverse of integration in most calculus texts. After you become familiar with The Fundamental Theorem Of Calculus, you may get the impression that integration is just the reverse of differentiation and forget how definite integration was actually defined.

I hope I haven't missed anything, but the examples you gave all seem to deal with definite integrals, or if they obtain the indefinite integral, it is implied that derivation rules were applied in reverse (i.e. power rule, d/dx of ln(x)=1/x, etc.). As for the definite integral, if I recall correctly, it was taught starting with Riemann sums so I do get that. I just mean when the indefinite integral was introduced, usually it's just taught as the reverse process of obtaining the "indefinite derivative", just with the addition of a constant.

To add clarity, when I say being able to algebraically manipulate a limit definition to get the indefinite integral, I mean doing so without resorting to the reverse power rule, and familiar reversed rules based on the derivatives of ln(x), sin(x), etc. Am I making any sense here?

hddd123456789 said:
To add clarity, when I say being able to algebraically manipulate a limit definition to get the indefinite integral, I mean doing so without resorting to the reverse power rule, and familiar reversed rules based on the derivatives of ln(x), sin(x), etc. Am I making any sense here?

If you are asking whether you can begin with the expression [itex] lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{ F(x+h) - F(x)} {h} = f(x) [/itex] and solve it to find [itex] F(x) [/itex] by taking limits without considering the values of [itex] f(x) [/itex] over an entire interval then I'd say the answer is no, you can't.

You can define [itex] F(x) [/itex] as [itex] F(x) = \int_a^x {f(x) dx} [/itex] and apply the definition [itex] F'(x) = lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{F(x+h) - F(x)}{h} [/itex] You'd be applying a limit definition to a function defined by a definite integral. So the limit is affected the values [itex] f(x) [/itex] takes on an interval.

Stephen Tashi said:
If you are asking whether you can...with out considering the values of f(x) f(x) over an entire interval then I'd say the answer is no, you can't.

Yes this is generally what I'm talking about, though I didn't mean to imply any sort of restriction such as not considering values over the entire interval. It just so happens that I kept running into the fact that I know of no way of determining directly the indefinite integral without applying derivation in reverse. I was imagining some sort of sum, maybe using sigma notation, where summing all possible infinitesimal intervals of x times the value of the integrand at that x would yield the indefinite integral.

Stephen Tashi said:
You can define F(x) F(x) as F(x)=∫xaf(x)dx F(x) = \int_a^x {f(x) dx} and apply the definition F′(x)=limh→0F(x+h)−F(x)h F'(x) = lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{F(x+h) - F(x)}{h} You'd be applying a limit definition to a function defined by a definite integral. So the limit is affected the values f(x) f(x) takes on an interval.

Yeah I remember that now that you mentioned it, but as you mentioned, that defines F(x) as a function of a definite integral so would still implicitly be using reverse derivation to determine the indefinite integral in order to actually evaluate F(x).

hddd123456789 said:
It just so happens that I kept running into the fact that I know of no way of determining directly the indefinite integral without applying derivation in reverse.
Although it doesn't seem to make sense, we don't call it derivation when we take the derivative. We call it differentiation.

In contrast, completion of the square is used in the derivation of the quadratic formula.

hddd123456789 said:
Yeah I remember that now that you mentioned it, but as you mentioned, that defines F(x) as a function of a definite integral so would still implicitly be using reverse derivation to determine the indefinite integral in order to actually evaluate F(x).

No, it wouldn't. The definition of a definite integral does not depend on using reverse diffentiation. You're confusing the technique of doing a definite integral with the definition of a definite integral.

Related to Limit Definition of Indefinite Integrals?

What is the limit definition of indefinite integrals?

The limit definition of indefinite integrals is a mathematical formula used to calculate the area under a curve or the antiderivative of a function. It is written as ∫f(x)dx = lim(n→∞) ∑f(x_i)Δx, where n is the number of subintervals and Δx is the width of each subinterval.

Why is the limit definition of indefinite integrals important?

The limit definition of indefinite integrals is important because it is the foundation of calculus and is used to solve a variety of real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and more. It allows us to find the area under a curve and the antiderivative of a function, which are essential concepts in calculus.

How is the limit definition of indefinite integrals different from the Riemann sum?

The limit definition of indefinite integrals and the Riemann sum are related concepts but they are not the same. The Riemann sum is a finite sum that approximates the area under a curve, while the limit definition uses an infinite sum to find the exact value of the integral.

What are the steps to using the limit definition of indefinite integrals?

The steps to using the limit definition of indefinite integrals are as follows:

1. Divide the interval into n subintervals of equal width.
  2. Choose a point, x_i, in each subinterval.
  3. Write the sum as ∑f(x_i)Δx.
  4. Take the limit as n→∞ to find the exact value of the integral.

Can the limit definition of indefinite integrals be used to find the antiderivative of any function?

Yes, the limit definition of indefinite integrals can be used to find the antiderivative of any function, as long as the function is continuous on the interval of integration. However, for some functions, it may be more efficient to use other integration techniques such as integration by substitution or integration by parts.