Limit Inferior and Limit Superior of a Sequence with Alternating Terms

• Thread starter muso07
  • Start date
In summary, the liminf for xn = n(1-(-1)^n) is 0 and the limsup does not exist. The definition for limsup is finding the "last peak" as n approaches infinity, and in this case, the peaks get larger and larger so it does not exist. Similarly for liminf, the "last trough" is 0 since the troughs occur when n is even.
muso07

Homework Statement

Find liminf(xn) and limsup(xn) for xn = n(1-(-1)^n)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really getting liminf and limsup, but stumbled through the method in my textbook and got liminf=0, limsup doesn't exist.

Is that right? I don't think I did it right. If it's wrong, I can type out my working (I'd just prefer not to since it's pretty late).

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct. I fins the easiest definition of limsup to be:

[tex]\limsup_{n\rightarrow \infty}=\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}(\sup_{m\geq n}x_m)[/tex]

That is: as n approaches infinity, look at all the "peaks" of the [tex]x_m[/tex] for [tex]m\geq n[/tex]. You are looking for the "last peak".

In the case of this function, the peaks get larger and larger (they occur when n is odd), so the "last one" is infinity, ie. it doesn't exist.

Similarly for liminf, the "troughs" of the function are all zero (when n is even), so the "last one" will also be zero.

I don't know if this will help much...I remember also being very confused by liminf and limsup when I first came across them!

It helped a lot, thanks!

FAQ: Limit Inferior and Limit Superior of a Sequence with Alternating Terms

1. What is the definition of liminf and limsup?

Liminf and limsup are mathematical terms that refer to the limit of the infimum (greatest lower bound) and supremum (least upper bound) of a sequence, respectively.

2. How do you calculate liminf and limsup?

To calculate liminf, you take the smallest limit of the subsequences of a given sequence. To calculate limsup, you take the largest limit of the subsequences of a given sequence.

3. What is the difference between liminf and limsup?

The main difference between liminf and limsup is that liminf represents the smallest possible limit of a sequence, while limsup represents the largest possible limit of a sequence.

4. When do liminf and limsup exist?

Liminf and limsup exist when the sequence has a lower bound and an upper bound, respectively, and when the limits of the subsequences converge to the same value.

5. How are liminf and limsup used in mathematics?

Liminf and limsup are important concepts in mathematical analysis and are used to study the behavior and convergence of sequences. They are also used in the proof of theorems and in various applications, such as in probability and statistics.

Back