Limit of a sine function problem.

In summary, the conversation discusses understanding limits and how replacing variables can help make them easier to solve. In the first part, the limit \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}xsin(\frac{1}{x}) is simplified by replacing \frac{1}{x} with y, making the limit \lim_{y\rightarrow 0}\frac{siny}{y}. In the second part, the limit \lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{sin4x}{sin3x} is simplified by using the rule that the limit of g(f(x)) as x goes to a is equal to the limit of g(y) as y goes to b, where f(x) approaches b as x approaches a.
Checkfate
Part a)I need help understanding a step in solving [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}xsin(\frac{1}{x})[/tex]

The textbook is suggesting I replace [tex]\frac{1}{x}[/tex] with y, so that I can get a limit in the form

[tex]\lim_{y\rightarrow 0}\frac{siny}{y}[/tex] which is understandably easy to solve. The part I don't understand is how the limit changes from x approaches inf to y approaches 0. I was running into the same confusion with this problem as well so perhaps I should post it.

Part b)Solve [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{sin4x}{sin3x}[/tex]

They then proceed in their next step to write it as [tex]\frac{\lim_{4x\rightarrow 0}4x(\frac{sin4x}{4x})}{\lim_{3x\rightarrow 0}3x(\frac{sin3x}{3x})}[/tex]

How do they get the 4x approaches 0 and 3x approaches 0, I understand it as a "this is the way to do it" and can do it easily, but I'd like to know what they are doing. Anyways, thanks :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Forthe first question: If x is approaching infinity, what is 1/x approaching? Therefore, what is y approaching?

For the second question, I can't see your latex image, but I think I can help you with your question. If x approaches zero, what would you think 4x approaches? Specifically, try taking the limit of 4x as x goes to zero, and remember that if there's no problem, as a general rule of thumb you can just plug in what x approaches and do the limit real easy

If f(x)->b as x->a, then the limit of g(f(x)) as x goes to a is equal to the limit of g(y) as y goes to b. Proving this is a nice exercise in the epsilon delta definition of a limit.

Thankyou both, :D

FAQ: Limit of a sine function problem.

1. What is the definition of a limit of a sine function?

The limit of a sine function is the value that the function approaches as the independent variable (usually represented by x) approaches a specific value. This value can be approached from either the left or the right side of the function.

2. How is the limit of a sine function calculated?

The limit of a sine function can be calculated using the basic trigonometric identity: lim sin x = sin lim x. This means that the limit of a sine function is equal to the sine of the limit of the function.

3. What is the importance of the limit of a sine function?

The limit of a sine function is important in calculus and other mathematical applications because it helps us understand the behavior of a function near a certain point. It allows us to determine if a function is continuous, differentiable, or has any points of discontinuity.

4. Can the limit of a sine function be undefined?

Yes, the limit of a sine function can be undefined if the function has a vertical asymptote or a point of discontinuity at the specific value that the independent variable is approaching.

5. How can the limit of a sine function be used to solve real-world problems?

The limit of a sine function can be used to model various real-world phenomena, such as the motion of a pendulum or the oscillations of a sound wave. By understanding the behavior of the function near a specific point, we can make predictions and solve problems related to these phenomena.