Limit of a Step Function in Mathematica

In summary, the function (x^3*Floor[x - 3])/(x - 3) does not have a limit at x = 3 because the left and right one-sided limits do not equal each other. The Floor[x-3] function represents a step-function that causes the limit to not exist at x = 3. Mathematica gave a limit of 0, but further analysis shows that this is not the case.
you878
I was using Mathematica to find the limit of the equation:
(x^3*Floor[x - 3])/(x - 3)
As x approaches 3.

Mathematica gave the answer as 0, but when I checked by hand, I did not get that.

As the function approaches 3 from the left side, it goes to positive infinity. As the function approaches 3 from the right side, it goes to 0. Since the two one-sided limits do not equal each other, shouldn't the limit at 3 not exist?

(The Floor[x-3] function I used was to represent the Step-function [[x-3]])

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, for x close to but less than 3, "floor[x- 3]" is -1 so the limit, as x goes to 3, is the same as [itex]\lim_{x\to 3}x^3/(x- 3)[/tex] which does not exit. The limit itself does not exist.

I don't use Mathematica so I can't speak for how it tried to find that limit.

you878 said:
I was using Mathematica to find the limit of the equation:
(x^3*Floor[x - 3])/(x - 3)
As x approaches 3.

Mathematica gave the answer as 0, but when I checked by hand, I did not get that.

As the function approaches 3 from the left side, it goes to positive infinity. As the function approaches 3 from the right side, it goes to 0. Since the two one-sided limits do not equal each other, shouldn't the limit at 3 not exist?

(The Floor[x-3] function I used was to represent the Step-function [[x-3]])

Tell you what, place your cursor over the Limit word (in Mathematica) and hit F1 to get help on the matter. Read that help carefully, then answer your own question.

Last edited:

FAQ: Limit of a Step Function in Mathematica

1. What is "Limit Error" in Mathematica?

Limit Error in Mathematica refers to the discrepancy or inaccuracy in the value of a limit calculated by the software. It occurs when the limit function is undefined or when there are discontinuities or singularities in the function.

2. How does Mathematica handle Limit Errors?

Mathematica typically displays a Limit Error message when it encounters an undefined or discontinuous limit. It also provides an option to specify the limit direction and method for calculating the limit, which can help in resolving the error.

3. Can Limit Errors be avoided in Mathematica?

Limit Errors can be avoided in Mathematica by using appropriate syntax and specifying the correct limit direction and method. It is also important to check for any discontinuities or singularities in the function before calculating the limit.

4. What are some common causes of Limit Errors in Mathematica?

Some common causes of Limit Errors in Mathematica include undefined limits, asymptotes, and discontinuities in the function. Other factors such as incorrect syntax, incorrect limit direction, or insufficient precision can also result in Limit Errors.

5. How can I troubleshoot and resolve Limit Errors in Mathematica?

To troubleshoot and resolve Limit Errors in Mathematica, you can try adjusting the limit direction and method, increasing the precision, or checking for any discontinuities in the function. You can also refer to the Mathematica documentation or seek help from online resources or forums for specific issues.