Limit of Inverse Operators: Proving Convergence for Bounded Linear Sequences

In summary: T_{n})^{-1}$ tends to $T^{-1}$ but neglects to mention that this is only true if the limit operator $T$ is invertible.
Boromir
Let $T_{n}$ be a sequence of invertible bounded linear operators with limit $T$ Prove that $(T_{n})^{-1}$ tends to $T^{-1}$

Physics news on Phys.org
Boromir said:
Let $T_{n}$ be a sequence of invertible bounded linear operators with limit $T$ Prove that $(T_{n})^{-1}$ tends to $T^{-1}$
This is not true without the additional assumption that the limit operator $T$ is invertible (in general it need not be).

As a hint, notice that $T_n^{-1}-T^{-1} = T_n^{-1}(T-T_n)T^{-1}$.

Opalg said:
This is not true without the additional assumption that the limit operator $T$ is invertible (in general it need not be).

As a hint, notice that $T_n^{-1}-T^{-1} = T_n^{-1}(T-T_n)T^{-1}$.

How do you get that equality?

Once I have got that equality, take the norm, then $T-T_{n}$ tends to zero. Though what happens to the $T_{n}^{-1}$? Its not neccesarily bounded even though individually they are.

Boromir said:
... what happens to the $T_{n}^{-1}$? Its not neccesarily bounded even though individually they are.
Good catch, I was being careless there. :eek:

I think what you need to do is something like this. For $n$ large enough, $\|T-T_n\| < \frac12\|T^{-1}\|^{-1}$. It follows that $\|I - T^{-1}T_n\| = \|T^{-1}(T-T_n)\| \leqslant \|T^{-1}\|\|T-T_n\| <\frac12$. It follows from the Neumann series that $T^{-1}T_n$ is invertible, with $\|(T^{-1}T_n)^{-1}\| = \|T_n^{-1}T\| <2.$ Thus $\|T_n^{-1}\| = \|T_n^{-1}TT^{-1}\| \leqslant \|T_n^{-1}T\|\|T^{-1}\| <2\|T^{-1}\|.$

Opalg said:

I think what you need to do is something like this. For $n$ large enough, $\|T-T_n\| < \frac12\|T^{-1}\|^{-1}$. It follows that $\|I - T^{-1}T_n\| = \|T^{-1}(T-T_n)\| \leqslant \|T^{-1}\|\|T-T_n\| <\frac12$. It follows from the Neumann series that $T^{-1}T_n$ is invertible, with $\|(T^{-1}T_n)^{-1}\| = \|T_n^{-1}T\| <2.$ Thus $\|T_n^{-1}\| = \|T_n^{-1}TT^{-1}\| \leqslant \|T_n^{-1}T\|\|T^{-1}\| <2\|T^{-1}\|.$

I don't understand how this implies $||T_{n}^{-1}-T^{-1}||$->0.

Boromir said:
Opalg said:

I don't understand how this implies $||T_{n}^{-1}-T^{-1}||$->0.
It answers your criticism of my earlier comment by showing that (for $n$ large enough) $\|T_n^{-1}\|$ has a uniform bound $2\|T^{-1}\|$. That earlier comment then gives you the hint for proving that $T_{n}^{-1}-T^{-1} \to0.$

Opalg said:
It answers your criticism of my earlier comment by showing that (for $n$ large enough) $\|T_n^{-1}\|$ has a uniform bound $2\|T^{-1}\|$. That earlier comment then gives you the hint for proving that $T_{n}^{-1}-T^{-1} \to0.$

that makes sense now haha

Related to Limit of Inverse Operators: Proving Convergence for Bounded Linear Sequences

1. What is the definition of a limit of inverse operators?

The limit of inverse operators is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a sequence of bounded linear operators as the number of terms in the sequence approaches infinity. It is used to determine whether the sequence of operators converges or diverges.

2. How is the limit of inverse operators related to bounded linear operators?

The limit of inverse operators is closely related to bounded linear operators because it involves the concept of convergence, which is crucial in determining the behavior of bounded linear sequences. By analyzing the limit of inverse operators, we can determine whether the sequence of bounded linear operators converges or diverges.

3. What is the importance of proving convergence for bounded linear sequences?

Proving convergence for bounded linear sequences is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of the sequence as the number of terms increases. This is especially useful in applications of mathematics, such as in physics and engineering, where bounded linear operators are commonly used.

4. How do you prove convergence for bounded linear sequences?

To prove convergence for bounded linear sequences, we use the definition of a limit of inverse operators, which involves evaluating the limit of the difference between the sequence and its limit. If the limit of this difference is equal to zero, then the sequence converges. Additionally, we may also use techniques such as the Cauchy criterion or the Banach fixed point theorem to prove convergence.

5. What are some real-life applications of the limit of inverse operators?

The limit of inverse operators has many real-life applications, such as in signal processing, control theory, and numerical analysis. In signal processing, it is used to analyze the behavior of filters and other electronic circuits. In control theory, it is used to determine the stability of systems. In numerical analysis, it is used to analyze the convergence of numerical methods for solving equations and optimization problems.