Limit of n^2/n! and Using Limit Properties for Advanced Calculus Sequences

In summary, the given limit is 0 and can be found by cancelling an n from the numerator and denominator, then applying the limit properties to compute the limit of the remaining factors. The limit of the first factor is 1 and the limit of the second factor is 0, so the overall limit is 0. Alternatively, the squeeze theorem can be used for a rigorous proof.
MathSquareRoo

Homework Statement

Determine whether the given limit exists and find their values. Give clear explanations using limit properties.

Homework Equations

lim n--->∞ (n^2)/n!

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the limit is 0, but I don't know how to show it in detailed steps. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you can immediately cancel an [itex]n[/itex] from the numerator and the denominator. Then try pairing the remaining [itex]n[/itex] in the numerator with one of the factors in the denominator, and see what you can conclude.

There are a lot of ways. Try one. Then someone can help. You have to TRY something. What are some ways you can show a sequence converges?

I have already canceled the factor of n, and I am stuck at the next step. I have n/(n-1)(n-2)!

Any suggestions what to do next? How do I proof that =0?

This might be overkill for this problem, but try the squeeze theorem for a rigorous proof.

MathSquareRoo said:
I have already canceled the factor of n, and I am stuck at the next step. I have n/(n-1)(n-2)!

Any suggestions what to do next? How do I proof that =0?

OK, so you have this:

[tex]\left(\frac{n}{n-1}\right)\left(\frac{1}{(n-2)!}\right)[/tex]

Can you compute the limits of the two factors in parentheses?

The limit of the first is 1, and the limit of the next is 0? Correct? Then can I simply multiply 1(0)=0. Will that be enough explanation?

MathSquareRoo said:
The limit of the first is 1, and the limit of the next is 0? Correct? Then can I simply multiply 1(0)=0. Will that be enough explanation?

Yes, as long as you have the theorem that the limit of a product is the product of the limits. If not, you will either have to prove that, or find your limit a different way.

Yes, I am able to use the product theorem. Thanks for the help!

Related to Limit of n^2/n! and Using Limit Properties for Advanced Calculus Sequences

1. What is the definition of a sequence in advanced calculus?

A sequence in advanced calculus is a function that maps the natural numbers (N) to a set of real numbers (R). It is denoted as {an} or (an), where 'n' represents the position of the term in the sequence and 'a' represents the value of the term.

2. How is the limit of a sequence defined in advanced calculus?

In advanced calculus, the limit of a sequence is defined as the value that the terms of the sequence approach as the position 'n' gets infinitely large. It is denoted as lim an = L, where L is the limit of the sequence.

3. Can a sequence have more than one limit in advanced calculus?

Yes, a sequence can have more than one limit in advanced calculus. This is known as a divergent sequence, where the terms of the sequence do not approach a single limit, but instead, they approach multiple limits or do not have a limit at all.

4. What are the different types of sequences in advanced calculus?

The different types of sequences in advanced calculus include convergent sequences, where the terms of the sequence approach a single limit, and divergent sequences, where the terms of the sequence approach multiple limits or do not have a limit. Other types of sequences include monotonic sequences, bounded sequences, and oscillating sequences.

5. How are sequences used in advanced calculus?

Sequences are used in advanced calculus to study the behavior of functions and to determine their convergence or divergence. They are also used to define and analyze series, which are sums of sequences. Sequences are an important tool in understanding and solving complex mathematical problems in areas such as analysis, differential equations, and number theory.