Limit of quotient of two functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the limit of f(x)/g(x) and the limits of f(x) and g(x). It is stated that if the limit of f(x)/g(x) exists and equals 1, then the limits of f(x) and g(x) will also be equal. However, this does not always hold true as the limits of f(x) and g(x) may not exist even if the limit of f(x)/g(x) exists. Finally, the conversation provides a mathematical example to clarify the concept.
ModernLove
Let f(x) and g(x) be functions.

Then if limit of f(x)/g(x) = 1. That implies lim f(x) = lim g(x) right?

Consider this proof.

lim f(x)/g(x) = 1
lim f(x) x lim 1/g(x) = 1
lim f(x) = 1 / (lim 1/g(x))
lim f(x) = lim g(x).

Mathematics news on Phys.org
No, the implication doesn't follow since the limits of f and g might not exist in the first place at the point where the limit of the quotient is 1.

Provided that the indivual limits actually exist then yes they will be equal. But just because the limit of f/g exists it doesn't mean that the limits of f and g neccessarily exist.

EDIT : No I'm not turning into a parrot, I must have posted the same time as arildno. :)

Last edited:
That's mind-reading, not parroting, uart.

arildno said:
That's mind-reading, not parroting, uart.

Or in this case just stating the obvious I think. :)

[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow 1} \frac{\sin x}{x} = 1 [/tex]

[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow 1} \sin x \neq 1 [/tex]

Can a mathematician clarify?

Eeh, you've got:
[tex]\lim_{x\to0}\frac{\sin(x)}{x}=1[/tex]

Doh! I retract my previous statement.

Related to Limit of quotient of two functions

1. What is the limit of quotient of two functions?

The limit of quotient of two functions is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a ratio of two functions as the input approaches a certain value. It is often used to determine the behavior of a function near a certain point.

2. How is the limit of quotient of two functions calculated?

The limit of quotient of two functions can be calculated using the formula lim (f(x)/g(x)) as x approaches a certain value. This involves finding the limit of both f(x) and g(x) separately and then taking the quotient of the two limits.

3. What does it mean if the limit of quotient of two functions does not exist?

If the limit of quotient of two functions does not exist, it means that the ratio of the two functions does not approach a specific value as the input approaches a certain value. This could be due to a discontinuity or an infinite value in one or both of the functions.

4. What is the significance of the limit of quotient of two functions in real life applications?

The limit of quotient of two functions has many real life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to analyze the behavior of systems and predict the outcomes of certain processes.

5. How does the limit of quotient of two functions relate to the concept of derivatives?

The limit of quotient of two functions is closely related to the concept of derivatives. In fact, the derivative of a function can be interpreted as the limit of the quotient of the change in the output over the change in the input. This connection allows for the use of limits to find derivatives of more complex functions.