Limit of x as it approaches a variable

In summary: You've made a good start. Keep working it. Try to get all your expressions in terms of t, and then put in the limit values for h.In summary, the problem is to find the instantaneous velocity at time t given the position function p(t) = t + (1/t) at x = t. Using the limit definition of instantaneous velocity, we set up the equation and simplify to get the final answer of t^2. However, this is not the final answer as we still need to evaluate the limit as h approaches 0 by plugging in the value for t.
Wyatt
1. Problem statement

Q. Use limit to find the instantaneous velocity at time t if the postition is p(t) at time t.

p(t) = t + (1/t) at x = t

2. Homework Equations

(Sorry dashes are in there to keep everything where it should be. I don't know how to make fractions in this and it was deleting spaces.)lim------f ( x+h ) - f (x)
x->0 ---_____________ (instantaneous velocity)
------------------h

The Attempt at a Solution

(Sorry dashes are in there to keep everything where it should be. I don't know how to make fractions in this and it was deleting spaces.)-First I plugged in t
lim------f ( t+h ) - f (t)
x->0---_____________
----------------h

-Then I plugged in what the equation gives you when you plug those in

lim------[( t + h ) + (1 / ( t + h )] - [ t + ( 1 / t) ]
x->0---______________________________
--------------------------------h
-simplified it

lim-----t + h + ( 1 / t ) + ( 1 / h ) - t + ( 1 / t )--------lim-----h + ( 1 / h )
x->0 -_____________________________ = x->0---___________
-------------------------h-----------------------------------------------------h
- so then to get the fraction out of the numerator i multiplied numerator and denominator by h/h giving me

lim----h^2 + 1
x->0 -_______
-----------h^2
-this is where I am stuck. I'm pretty sure I can't stop here because if I plug in zero then I get DNE. But I'm also not sure if I messed up somewhere or just don't know something
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you might have the wrong definition...
You are finding the instantaneous velocity, which is defined as:
##\lim_{h\to 0} \frac{f(t+h) - f(t)}{h}##
This should make sense, if you recall simple position functions like p(t) = t would have a constant velocity of 1:
##\lim_{h\to 0} \frac{t+h - t}{h} = \frac{h}{h} = 1.##

This is a few of the problems we worked in class. Via the examples I thought the goal was to make it so that you could solve for h and have it be anything but DNE
https://learn.unt.edu/bbcswebdav/pid-3914721-dt-content-rid-51752337_1/xid-51752337_1
https://learn.unt.edu/bbcswebdav/pid-3914722-dt-content-rid-51752338_1/xid-51752338_1

Last edited by a moderator:
oh it deleted the pictures

https://learn.unt.edu/bbcswebdav/pid-3914721-dt-content-rid-51752337_1/courses/MATH.1710.114-NT752.1168.1/9-1%20Problem%208.jpg
https://learn.unt.edu/bbcswebdav/pid-3914722-dt-content-rid-51752338_1/courses/MATH.1710.114-NT752.1168.1/9-1%20Problem%2010.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wyatt said:

(Sorry dashes are in there to keep everything where it should be. I don't know how to make fractions in this and it was deleting spaces.)

Studying how to use LaTex instructions in forum posts is an activity in itself, but if you have a knack for computer programming, you can probably pick-up LaTex quickly. If you reply to a forum post that has mathematics symbols in it, you can see how the LaTex instructions have been formed. (You don't have to really reply to a post. You can press the "reply" icon, look at the quoted post, and then abort the process.)

-simplified it

lim-----t + h + ( 1 / t ) + ( 1 / h ) - t + ( 1 / t )--------lim-----h + ( 1 / h )
x->0 -_____________________________ = x->0---___________
-------------------------h-----------------------------------------------------h

It looks to me like you are using the incorrect algebra ##\frac{1}{t + h} = \frac{1}{t} + \frac{1}{h} ##. That's not valid. Common denominator - remember ?

In your original work, you assumed that x went to zero, or equivalently that t went to zero. What you should be doing is assuming that the difference between time 1 and time 2 go to zero for any time 1 = t and time 2 = t+h.
When you set this up, you should get a form that looks like
##\lim_{h\to 0} \frac{ t +h + \frac{1}{t+h} - t - \frac1t}{h} ##
Then use appropriate algebra to simplify.

Ok so I can take the t's out because they subtract from each other to 0. Then can i just take the h's out because they simplify and my answer is just
1/ (t + h) - (1/t)?

No, that's not proper algebra.
t-t = 0, that step is good. Taking out the h's doesn't take them all into account.
##\frac{h + \frac{1}{t+h} - \frac1t}{h}##
You can break apart the fraction to:
##\frac{h}{h} +\frac{ \frac{1}{t+h} - \frac1t}{h}##
The first fraction should be simple to reduce. The second one requires you to combine the fractions in the numerator. How do you add or subtract fractions with different denominators?
##\frac{1}{t+h} - \frac1t = ?##
Take your time and work through it.

@Wyatt, Have you made any progress on this problem?

Yes sorry. h/h =1
Then 1 / ( t+h ) - 1 / t = [t / t(t+h)] -[ ( t+h) / t ( t +h) ]
simplified it becomes: h / t^2+h
simplifying the whole problem it become t^2+h
then when h is approaching 0 the answer is t^2

Wyatt said:
Yes sorry. h/h =1
Then 1 / ( t+h ) - 1 / t = [t / t(t+h)] -[ ( t+h) / t ( t +h) ]
simplified it becomes: h / t^2+h
simplifying the whole problem it become t^2+h
then when h is approaching 0 the answer is t^2
This might be right, but it's not the whole problem, so you're not done.

This is the limit you're trying to evaluate: ##\lim_{h\to 0} \frac{ t +h + \frac{1}{t+h} - t - \frac1t}{h} ## (from RUber's work in post #8)

Related to Limit of x as it approaches a variable

1. What is the definition of a limit?

The limit of a function f(x) as x approaches a variable a is the value that f(x) approaches as x gets closer and closer to a, regardless of the actual value of f(a).

2. How do you calculate the limit of a function?

To calculate the limit, you can plug in values of x that are getting closer and closer to the given variable a. You can also use algebraic manipulation and other mathematical techniques to evaluate the limit.

3. What happens if the limit does not exist?

If the limit of a function does not exist, it means that the function does not approach a single value as x gets closer to the given variable a. This could happen if there are abrupt changes or gaps in the function or if the function oscillates indefinitely.

4. Can the limit of a function be a different value than the actual value at the given variable?

Yes, the limit of a function can be different from the actual value at the given variable. This happens when the function has a discontinuity at the given variable, such as a jump or a hole, or when the function is undefined at that point.

5. How do limits relate to derivatives and continuity?

Limits are an important concept in calculus and are closely related to derivatives and continuity. The derivative of a function at a point is the slope of the tangent line to the function at that point, which is essentially the limit of the function as x approaches that point. Continuity also relies on the existence of limits, as a function is continuous at a point if the limit of the function at that point equals the actual value at that point.