Limit without using L'Hopital's rule.

In summary, there are two ways to solve the given limit without using L'Hopital's rule. One way is to simplify the numerator using the generalised binomial theorem by letting x = (y+1)^2. The other way is to use factoring techniques for the difference of squares and difference of cubes to cancel out x-1 in the numerator and denominator.
cambo86

Homework Statement

[tex]
\lim_{x\rightarrow 1} {\frac{\sqrt[3]{x}-1}{\sqrt{x}-1}}
[/tex]

I can do this very easily using L'Hopital's rule but in the textbook I'm going through it is a problem given before L'Hopital's rule is taught. Is there a way of doing this without using L'Hopita'ls rule?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cambo86 said:

Homework Statement

[tex]
[/tex]

I can do this very easily using L'Hopital's rule but in the textbook I'm going through it is a problem given before L'Hopital's rule is taught. Is there a way of doing this without using L'Hopita'ls rule?

One way is to let ##x = (y+1)^2##, after which the numerator can be simplified with the generalised binomial theorem.

cambo86 said:

Homework Statement

[tex]
[/tex]I can do this very easily using L'Hopital's rule but in the textbook I'm going through it is a problem given before L'Hopital's rule is taught. Is there a way of doing this without using L'Hopita'ls rule?
Do you know how to factor the difference of squares and the difference cubes ?

[itex](a-b)(a+b)=a^2-b^2[/itex]

[itex](c-d)(c^2+cd+d^2)=c^3-d^3[/itex]

Therefore, [itex]\ \ (\sqrt{x\,}-1)(\sqrt{x\,}+1)=x-1[/itex]

and [itex]\ \ (\sqrt[3]{x}-1)(\sqrt[3]{x^2}+\sqrt[3]{x}+1)=x-1\ .[/itex]

These can be used to cancel x-1 in the numerator & denominator.

Thanks, both responses were very helpful.

FAQ: Limit without using L'Hopital's rule.

1. What is the definition of a limit?

A limit is the value that a function approaches as the input approaches a certain point or value. It can be thought of as the value that the function is "approaching" but may not necessarily reach.

2. How can I find the limit of a function?

There are a few methods to find the limit of a function without using L'Hopital's rule. One method is to simply plug in the value the function is approaching and see what the output is. Another method is to use algebraic manipulation to rewrite the function in a simpler form that can be evaluated.

3. What is the difference between a one-sided and two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the values of the function as the input approaches from one direction (either the left or the right), while a two-sided limit considers both directions. This is important because a function may have a different limit depending on which direction the input is approaching from.

4. How do I know if a limit exists?

A limit exists if the function approaches the same value from both directions as the input approaches a certain point. In other words, if the left and right limits are equal, then the overall limit exists. However, if the left and right limits are different, or if one or both do not exist, then the overall limit does not exist.

5. Can I use L'Hopital's rule for all limits?

No, L'Hopital's rule can only be used for certain types of limits, specifically those that have an indeterminate form (such as 0/0 or infinity/infinity). It cannot be used for limits that do not have an indeterminate form, or for limits that involve trigonometric functions.