Limitations of the divergence theorem

In summary, the given surface integral can be evaluated using the divergence theorem, resulting in a value of 0. The triple integral and surface integral are both expected to return 0, indicating that the solution is correct. There are no apparent limitations or complications in this problem.
blade123

Homework Statement

Evaluate the surface integral F * dr, where F=<0, y, -z> and the S is y=x^2+y^2 where y is between 0 and 1.

Homework Equations

Divergence theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

I just got out of my calculus final, and that was a problem on it. I used the divergence theorem and got div F = 0 + 1 - 1 =0

Therefore the triple integral and therefore the surface integral will return 0. Is this true? I thought it was too easy, I can't see why it wouldn't be true.

Is there a limitation I glossed over?

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't think so, that should work. Try evaluating the surface integral and seeing if it also returns 0.

Related to Limitations of the divergence theorem

What is the divergence theorem?

The divergence theorem, also known as Gauss's theorem, is a mathematical theorem that relates the flux of a vector field through a closed surface to the divergence of the vector field within the volume enclosed by the surface.

What are the limitations of the divergence theorem?

The divergence theorem is only applicable to three-dimensional vector fields and closed surfaces. It also assumes that the vector field is continuous and differentiable within the enclosed volume.

Can the divergence theorem be used for all types of vector fields?

No, the divergence theorem is limited to vector fields that satisfy certain conditions, such as being continuously differentiable and having a finite divergence at all points within the enclosed volume.

What are some practical applications of the divergence theorem?

The divergence theorem has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It is commonly used to calculate electric and magnetic fields, fluid flow, and heat transfer. It also has applications in the study of fluid dynamics and electromagnetism.

Are there any alternative theorems for calculating flux?

Yes, there are other theorems for calculating flux, such as Stokes' theorem and Green's theorem. These theorems have different limitations and are more suitable for certain types of vector fields and surfaces.