Limits of integration question (double integral)

In summary, the conversation discusses questions regarding an image and polar coordinates. The first question addresses the shift in the center of the cylinder and how it affects the volume under the paraboloid. The second question raises the issue of using different limits of integration for theta in polar coordinates. The last question asks about the origin of r=2cosθ and its relation to the intersection of the cylinder and paraboloid.
iScience
so in the image in the link below, i don't understand a couple of things:

1.) the center of the cylinder is off to the side and not at the center. where/how in the problem are we taking this into account? because it should definitely affect the volume under the parabaloid right?

2.) most of the other times I've worked with circles/cylinders/spheres in polar coordinates i'ved always used 0≤θ≤2[itex]\pi[/itex] as my limits of integration for theta. what's with the [itex]\frac{-\pi}{2}[/itex]≤θ≤[itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] limits? ie why am i only integrating half of the circle?

3.) r=2cosθ??... where did this come from?..http://i.imgur.com/THQz9Qc.jpg

(i don't know how to make the image smaller on here using the so i just posted the site)

Physics news on Phys.org
iScience said:
so in the image in the link below, i don't understand a couple of things:

1.) the center of the cylinder is off to the side and not at the center. where/how in the problem are we taking this into account? because it should definitely affect the volume under the parabaloid right?
The ranges of r and θ are affected by this shift, as you have noticed below.

2.) most of the other times I've worked with circles/cylinders/spheres in polar coordinates i'ved always used 0≤θ≤2[itex]\pi[/itex] as my limits of integration for theta. what's with the [itex]\frac{-\pi}{2}[/itex]≤θ≤[itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] limits? ie why am i only integrating half of the circle?
It does not represent half of the circle, but rather all of it. How is θ defined?
3.) r=2cosθ??... where did this come from?..
This comes about from the projection of the intersection of the cylinder and the paraboloid onto the xy plane.

I think I had a question like this in my exam last year.

Related to Limits of integration question (double integral)

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of mathematical operation that involves calculating the area under a surface in two dimensions. It is represented by the symbol ∫∫ and is used to find the volume, mass, and other quantities in a multi-dimensional space.

2. What are the limits of integration in a double integral?

Limits of integration in a double integral refer to the boundaries of the region over which the integration is being performed. They are typically represented by two numbers, the lower limit and the upper limit, and can be specified in terms of x and y coordinates or in terms of a function.

3. How do you determine the limits of integration in a double integral?

The limits of integration in a double integral can be determined by considering the region over which the integration is being performed. This can be done by graphing the region or by setting up and solving equations that define the boundaries of the region. It is important to make sure that the limits are consistent with the order of integration.

4. What is the order of integration in a double integral?

The order of integration in a double integral refers to the order in which the integration is performed. It is typically represented as ∫∫f(x,y)dxdy or ∫∫f(x,y)dydx, where the inner integral is performed with respect to one variable while the outer integral is performed with respect to the other variable. The order of integration can affect the difficulty of the integration and the overall result.

5. How do you solve a double integral with variable limits?

Solving a double integral with variable limits involves first identifying the region over which the integration is being performed. Then, the limits of integration can be expressed in terms of the variables and the integral can be solved using standard integration techniques. It is important to make sure that the limits are consistent with the order of integration and that any necessary substitutions are made before integrating.