Limits of Sequences .... Sohrab Exercise 2.2.7 ....

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem related to convergence and limit of a sequence and includes various attempted solutions, including one involving Bernoulli's Inequality. The final solution involves choosing a suitable value for N and using algebraic manipulation to show that the sequence converges to 0.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB

Homework Statement

I am reading Houshang H. Sohrab's book: "Basic Real Analysis" (Second Edition).

I am focused on Chapter 2: Sequences and Series of Real Numbers ... ...

I need help with a part of Exercise 2.2.7 Part (1) ... ...

Exercise 2.2.7 Part (1) reads as follows:

?temp_hash=b9ecb7740f49a96bec86904e3f8c2172.png

I have managed a solution to this exercise and am posting it because

(1) I am unsure that the proof is valid/correct ... particularly given my arithmetic on ##\epsilon## ...

(2) I did not use Sohrab's hint ... and that concerns me ... but I am also interested in how Bernoulli's Inequality is used in this proof ... I can see how to simply involve Bernoulli's Inequality, but not how to use it profitably ...

2. Homework Equations

The concepts of convergence of a sequence and the limit of a sequence are relevant ... so I am posting Sohrab's text corresponding to these notions ...

?temp_hash=b9ecb7740f49a96bec86904e3f8c2172.png

3. The Attempt at a Solution

My proof is as follows:

To show ##\text{lim } ( \frac{ 1 }{ 1 + na } ) = 0## where ##n \in \mathbb{N}##We have ##| \frac{ 1 }{ 1 + na } - 0 | = \frac{ 1 }{ 1 + na } \lt \frac{ 1 }{ na }##

Now for ##\epsilon \gt 0## let ##\frac{ 1 }{ na } \lt \epsilon##

Then let ##\epsilon = \frac{\epsilon^*}{a}## so that ##\epsilon^* = a \epsilon## ...

Then we have :

##\frac{ 1 }{ 1 + na } \lt \frac{\epsilon^*}{a} \Longrightarrow \frac{ 1 }{ n } \lt \epsilon^*## ...So ... choose ##N## so that ##\frac{ 1 }{ N } \lt \epsilon^*## ...

So that then we have ... for ##n \gt N## ...

##| \frac{ 1 }{ 1 + na } - 0 | = \frac{ 1 }{ 1 + na } \lt \frac{ 1 }{ na } = ( \frac{ 1 }{ n } ) ( \frac{ 1 }{ a } ) \lt \epsilon^* ( \frac{ 1 }{ a } ) = \epsilon a ( \frac{ 1 }{ a } ) = \epsilon##Is that correct?

and further ...

Can someone please indicate how Bernoulli's Inequality is used in a proof ...

Peter

Attachments

• Sohrab - Exercise 2.2.7  .....png
    Sohrab - Exercise 2.2.7 .....png
    27.6 KB · Views: 473
  • Sohrab - Defn ofConvergence and Limit - Defn 2.2.5 ....png
    Sohrab - Defn ofConvergence and Limit - Defn 2.2.5 ....png
    24.3 KB · Views: 467
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Math Amateur said:
Then we have :

##\frac{ 1 }{ 1 + na } \lt \frac{\epsilon^*}{a} \Longrightarrow \frac{ 1 }{ n } \lt \epsilon^*## ...
This step is not justified. Consider ##\epsilon=\frac58, n=1, a=1, n=1##. The first inequality is satisfied but not the second.

I can't see any use for Bernoulli's inequality, but perhaps the author has in mind a different version of it from the one on wikipedia.

For (1) I'd be inclined to try using Corollary 2.1.32(a) with ##\frac1\epsilon## for ##x## and ##a## for ##y##.

Hi Andrew,

I was guided to the following solution by Opalg from the Math Help Boards ...

" ... ... Given ##\varepsilon>0##, choose ##N> \dfrac 1{a\varepsilon}##. ... ... Then ##\dfrac 1{Na} < \varepsilon##, and ...

##n\geqslant N \Longrightarrow \frac1{1+na} <\frac1{na} \leqslant \frac1{Na} < \varepsilon.## ... ... "Thanks for all your help ... I got a number of pointers from your guidance and help ... which is helping me to grasp the basics of analysis ...

Most grateful for all your help ...

Peter

This would be my proof:

Let ##\epsilon > 0## and let ##N \geq \frac{1}{a\epsilon} - \frac{1}{a}##. Then:

##n \geq N \implies n \geq \frac{1}{a\epsilon} - \frac{1}{a}##
##\implies na \geq \frac{1}{\epsilon} -1##
##\implies 1 + na \geq \frac{1}{\epsilon}##
##\implies \epsilon \geq \frac{1}{1+na} = \vert \frac{1}{1+na}\vert##

so we have ##\frac{1}{1+na} \to 0## if ##n \to \infty##

Related to Limits of Sequences .... Sohrab Exercise 2.2.7 ....

1. What are limits of sequences?

Limits of sequences refer to the value that a sequence approaches as the number of terms in the sequence increases. It is the value that the terms in the sequence get closer and closer to, but may never actually reach.

2. How do you determine the limit of a sequence?

To determine the limit of a sequence, you can either use the formula for the general term of the sequence or use a graphing calculator to plot the terms and see the trend of the values as the number of terms increases. Additionally, you can use mathematical concepts such as the squeeze theorem or the comparison test to evaluate the limit.

3. What is the purpose of studying limits of sequences?

The study of limits of sequences is important in understanding the behavior of a sequence and its long-term trend. It also helps in determining if a sequence is convergent or divergent and finding the exact value of the limit. This concept is also essential in higher-level mathematics, such as calculus, where limits are used to define derivatives and integrals.

4. Can a sequence have more than one limit?

No, a sequence can only have one limit. This is because the limit of a sequence is unique and is determined by the behavior of the terms in the sequence as the number of terms increases. If a sequence has more than one limit, it would violate the definition of a limit.

5. What are the common types of sequences and their limits?

The common types of sequences include arithmetic sequences, geometric sequences, and harmonic sequences. The limit of an arithmetic sequence is the value of its common difference, the limit of a geometric sequence is the value of its common ratio, and the limit of a harmonic sequence is 0.