LinAlg: Determine the value(s) of h such that the matrix....

• Thread starter Velouria555
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the values of h that make the given matrix the augmented matrix of a consistent linear system are all h, meaning that there are an infinite number of solutions. If h ≠ 12, the solution is x = 0 and y = 0. If h = 12, there are an infinite number of solutions, as both equations represent the same line. Every solution of the system is a point on the line x + 4y = -2.
Velouria555
Homework Statement
Determine the values of h such that the matrix is the augmented matrix of a consistent linear system.

1 4 -2
3 h -6

The attempt at a solution
The answer I got differs from the back of the book.

I tried solving it by adding R1(4) to R2

1 3 -2
-4 h 8

becomes

1 3 -2
0 h-12 0

I thought that h had to equal 12 so that (0)x1 + (0)x2 = 0, but the book says the answer is all h. I don't know what I'm missing

Physics news on Phys.org
Velouria555 said:
Homework Statement
Determine the values of h such that the matrix is the augmented matrix of a consistent linear system.

1 4 -2
3 h -6

1 3 -2
-4 h 8
I don't understand what you did to get this matrix. Also, I don't understand your notation -- R1(4) -- does that mean you are adding 4 times R1 to R2? If so, R1 shouldn't change. How did the row 1, column 2 entry change from 4 to 3?
Velouria555 said:
becomes

1 3 -2
0 h-12 0

I thought that h had to equal 12 so that (0)x1 + (0)x2 = 0, but the book says the answer is all h. I don't know what I'm missing
If h = 12 the two equations are dependent, meaning that they both represent the same line, so there are an infinite number of solutions. For this problem, an inconsistent system would be two parallel lines (no intersection).

Likes Velouria555
Velouria555 said:
Homework Statement

1 4 -2
3 h -6

1 3 -2
-4 h 8

becomes

1 3 -2
0 h-12 0

## \begin{bmatrix}
1 & 3 & | & -2\\
0 & (h-12) & | & 0
\end{bmatrix} ##

Depending upon the value of h, this system may be consistent and dependent, or it may be consistent and independent.

(0)x1 + (h - 12)x2 = 0

simplifies to: (h - 12)x2 = 0 .

Either
h - 12 = 0, leaving x2 arbitrary.

or
x2 = 0 .

Likes Velouria555
Oh man, sorry people. I was confusing two different problems as I typed this one out... been a long, fartbrain day.

What I meant to say is:

1 4 -2
3 h -6

R1(-3)+R2=

1 4 -2
0 h-12 0

After seeing both responses, I think I might be missing something very fundamental and obvious about this problem. My thought process is that to make this system consistent, R2 is (0)x1+(0)x2=0 so (h-12) must equal 0 and the only way that can occur is if h = 12. If, for example, h = 1, then R2 implies that 11x2=0. Actually... I guess that makes sense because no matter what h is, when you solve for x2, it will equal 0/h which is always 0. Is this correct?

Velouria555 said:
Oh man, sorry people. I was confusing two different problems as I typed this one out... been a long, fartbrain day.

What I meant to say is:

1 4 -2
3 h -6

R1(-3)+R2=

1 4 -2
0 h-12 0

After seeing both responses, I think I might be missing something very fundamental and obvious about this problem. My thought process is that to make this system consistent, R2 is (0)x1+(0)x2=0 so (h-12) must equal 0 and the only way that can occur is if h = 12. If, for example, h = 1, then R2 implies that 11x2=0. Actually... I guess that makes sense because no matter what h is, when you solve for x2, it will equal 0/h which is always 0. Is this correct?
If h ≠ 12, then we must have x2 = 0. The solution for x1 may also be determined.

If h = 12, then x2 can be any value. The value of x1 will the depend upon the value chosen for x2 .

Likes Velouria555
Velouria555 said:
1 4 -2
0 h-12 0

To expand on what SammyS said, your final augmented matrix represents this system of equations:
1x + 4y = -2
... (h - 12)y = 0

For simplicity I'm going to use x and y instead of subscripts on x.
Obviously (??) you can solve for y in the second equation, which yields y = 0 if h ≠ 12, and y is arbitrary if h = 12. In the latter case (h = 12), x's value will depend on y.

To summarize, if h ≠ 12, the single solution is x = 0 and y = 0. If h = 12 there are an infinite number of solutions, as both equations represent the same line. Every solution of the system is a point on the line x + 4y = -2.

Likes Velouria555 and SammyS
Velouria555 said:

What I meant to say is:

1 4 -2
3 h -6

R1(-3)+R2=

1 4 -2
0 h-12 0

What is your answer to the original problem (which asked for values of h such that the system is consistent)? Is it consistent if ##h \neq 12##? Is it consistent if ##h = 12##?

Likes Velouria555
Got it! For some reason, I was under the impression that the bottom row could not be [0 * 0] (as * represents a non-zero number), but that is totally wrong because such a row would still make a system consistent and is quite common, actually since * would be the pivot position. And [0 0 0] is also consistent and essentially means that the row is 'free' as my textbook refers to it.

Thanks everyone, for your patience and great explanations!

@Velouria555 ,

We neglected welcoming you to PF ... so Welcome to PF !

Likes Velouria555

Related to LinAlg: Determine the value(s) of h such that the matrix....

1. What is LinAlg?

LinAlg, short for Linear Algebra, is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations, vector spaces, and matrices. It is used in various fields, including physics, engineering, computer science, and economics.

2. What is the purpose of determining the value(s) of h in a matrix?

In linear algebra, determining the value(s) of h in a matrix is usually done to solve systems of linear equations or to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix. It is also used to determine the rank, nullity, and other properties of a matrix.

3. How do I determine the value(s) of h in a matrix?

The process of determining the value(s) of h in a matrix depends on the specific problem or equation. However, it usually involves using techniques such as row reduction, Gaussian elimination, or finding the characteristic polynomial and using it to find the eigenvalues.

4. What are the possible values of h in a matrix?

The possible values of h in a matrix depend on the specific problem or equation. In some cases, there may be a finite set of values, while in others, there may be an infinite number of possible values. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and use appropriate techniques to determine all possible values of h.

5. Why is determining the value(s) of h in a matrix important?

Determining the value(s) of h in a matrix is important because it allows us to solve systems of linear equations, find important properties of a matrix, and understand the behavior of linear systems. It is also a fundamental concept in linear algebra and is used in various applications in mathematics and other fields.