Line Current in a 2 phase transformer

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the line current in a 2 phase 30kVA 415:650 transformer that is being used with a 3 phase source. The speaker explains how to calculate line current for a 3 phase and single phase transformer, but is unsure about the calculation for a 2 phase transformer. They also mention working on this in theory and provide a diagram for reference. The expert suggests that for a 2 phase transformer, the line current can be calculated as KVA/V and clarifies that the transformer is a 2 wire device.
anoor
I am a graduate engineer and have been set a small task to work out the current (primary side) in a 2 phase 30kVA 415:650 transformer. The 2 phases have been utilized from a 3 phase source and are hence 120 degrees out of phase.

I understand had it been a 3 phase 30kVA transformer I could calculate my current by 30kVA / 415 / route*3 = 42A.

If it was a single phase then simply 30kVA / 415 = 73A.

However if I am only using 2 phases from a 3 phase source yet still need to produce 30kVA of power, how do I calculate the line current?

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello Anoor and Welcom :

I think we will need a little more info -- you are describing a 30KVA trans but the Voltage is 415:650? And by 2 phase - is the secondary like an Open delta - or some other arrangement? Best bet is to post a diagram of the nameplate info.

Lastly -It is not clear if you are actually working on this physically? In the USA you would not be a " qualified person" - working on this is extremely dangerous, does your University have a qualified electrician that you can work with?.

I am not working on it physically its just in theory.

Maybe its my poor explanation ill try again!

If I have a standard 230/400V switchboard and want to connect a transformer it would normally be a 3 phase (400V) or single phase-neutral (230V). However if I wanted to connect a transformer to phases L1 & L2, instead of the neutral (giving me 400V). What would my line current be on the primary and how would I calculate it? I apologise if my ignorance doesn't allow me to adequately suscribe the situation! I have attached a pdf showing an extract of the schematic, I hope this helps!

Thanks again.

Attachments

• 2PHASE LINE CURRENT AN.pdf
    15.3 KB · Views: 637
OK the diagram help a little. If you think of the "phase" as between the lines, as in L2-L3 - this is really a single phase question - IN the USA we refer to this as Line to Line. In this case there is no phase angle - so the Line current is KVA/V - also the transformer input or out put is only a 2 wire device - right?

The lines L2 and L3 are only out of phase 120Deg relative to the neutral

I would approach this problem by first understanding the basics of a 2 phase transformer. A 2 phase transformer is a type of transformer that has two separate primary and secondary windings, each receiving a different phase of the input power. The two phases are typically 90 degrees out of phase with each other.

To calculate the line current in a 2 phase transformer, we can use the formula:

Line Current = kVA / (2 x Voltage x Power Factor)

In this case, we have a 30kVA transformer with a primary voltage of 415V and a secondary voltage of 650V. Assuming a power factor of 1 (which is ideal), the calculation would be:

Line Current = 30kVA / (2 x 415V x 1) = 36.14A

This means that the total line current on the primary side of the transformer would be 36.14A, which is lower than the 42A calculated for a 3 phase transformer with the same kVA rating.

It is important to note that the 120 degree phase difference between the two phases does not affect the calculation of line current in a 2 phase transformer. This is because the two phases are still contributing to the total power output of the transformer.

In summary, to calculate the line current in a 2 phase transformer, we use the formula kVA / (2 x Voltage x Power Factor) and take into account the voltage and power factor of the transformer.

FAQ: Line Current in a 2 phase transformer

1. What is line current in a 2 phase transformer?

Line current in a 2 phase transformer refers to the amount of electric current that flows through the primary and secondary windings of the transformer. It is the current that is drawn from the power source and is used to transfer energy from one circuit to another.

2. How is line current calculated in a 2 phase transformer?

The line current in a 2 phase transformer can be calculated by dividing the total power output by the voltage of the primary winding. This value is then divided by the square root of 2 to account for the two phases.

3. What factors affect the line current in a 2 phase transformer?

The line current in a 2 phase transformer can be affected by various factors such as the load connected to the secondary winding, the voltage of the primary winding, and the design of the transformer itself. Other factors may include temperature, resistance, and impedance.

4. How does line current differ from phase current in a 2 phase transformer?

Line current and phase current are different in a 2 phase transformer in that line current refers to the total current that flows through the primary and secondary windings, while phase current refers to the individual current in each of the two phases. Phase current is typically lower than line current due to the use of two phases in the transformer.

5. Why is it important to understand line current in a 2 phase transformer?

Understanding line current in a 2 phase transformer is important because it helps in determining the appropriate size and rating of the transformer for a specific application. It also helps in troubleshooting any issues that may arise and ensuring the safe and efficient operation of the transformer.

Back