Line integral & logarithmic spiral

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find the value of the integral \int\limits_L \sqrt{x^2+y^2}dl, where L is an arc of a logarithmic spiral between points A(0,a) and B(-\infty,0). However, the problem becomes more complicated when x=-\infty or y=a.
irycio

Homework Statement

Calcualte the value of [tex]\int\limits_L \sqrt{x^2+y^2}dl[/tex], where L is an arc of a logarithmic spiral [tex]r=ae^{m\phi}[/tex] between points A(0,a) and B([tex]-\infty[/tex],0).

Problem: I can't find a value of [tex]\phi[/tex] where x=[tex]-\infty[/tex] or y=a.

Homework Equations

We parametrise and get:
[tex]x=ae^{m\phi}\cos(\phi)[/tex]
[tex]y=ae^{m\phi}\sin(\phi)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I guess I can't do much without the boundaries. I typed the equation for y=a into mathematica and got error messages, more or less the same for function Solve and Reduce (that the equation can not be solved using algebraic methods).
Obviously, the equation x=[tex]-\infty[/tex] doesn't give any result either. Help, please!

Physics news on Phys.org
irycio said:

Homework Statement

Calcualte the value of [tex]\int\limits_L \sqrt{x^2+y^2}dl[/tex], where L is an arc of a logarithmic spiral [tex]r=ae^{m\phi}[/tex] between points A(0,a) and B([tex]-\infty[/tex],0).

Problem: I can't find a value of [tex]\phi[/tex] where x=[tex]-\infty[/tex] or y=a.
They don't make sense to me, either. If phi = 0, r = a, so in Cartesian coordinates, this is (a, 0), and it's the same in polar coordinates. As phi approaches -infinity, r approaches 0 (assuming m is a positive number). In polar coordinates, this is (0, -infinity).
irycio said:

Homework Equations

We parametrise and get:
[tex]x=ae^{m\phi}\cos(\phi)[/tex]
[tex]y=ae^{m\phi}\sin(\phi)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I guess I can't do much without the boundaries. I typed the equation for y=a into mathematica and got error messages, more or less the same for function Solve and Reduce (that the equation can not be solved using algebraic methods).
Obviously, the equation x=[tex]-\infty[/tex] doesn't give any result either. Help, please!

This problem seems well-suited for converting to polar coordinates. Arc length in polar form is
[tex]dl = \sqrt{r^2 + (\frac{dr}{d\theta})^2} d\theta[/tex]

The resulting integral is straightforward but improper, so you'll need to take the limit as phi approaches -infinity.

Last edited:
Well, polar coordinates are pretty obvious, but I still don't like the boundaries. Not only do they not satisfy the conditions given, but I also don't catch how a phi, which is an angle in spherical coordinates, can approach -infinity. Although i believe, that there is a limit of functions like e^(phi)*sin(phi) and it's equal 0, regardless the periodic function that doesn't have a boundary.

Why do you think this has anything to do with spherical coordinates? The points are given as ordered pairs, not ordered triples, so it seems to me that you are working in the plane, not in three dimensions.

It is true that phi is used in spherical coordinates, but the presence of phi doesn't necessarily have any special meaning.

My bad, I meant polar coordinates. But I guess you are right anyway, that it doesn't have to be limited to [0, 2pi), we just do it because it's usually enough.

Nevertheless, after moving from carthesian to polar coordinates, I would really appreciate having any boundaries, but apparently they do not exist, unless A and B are pairs of points already in spherical coordinates, like P(radius, phi). That would make more sense, but it doesn't say anything like that.

Anyway, cheers for help.

Points A and B, as given, seem incorrect to me. Instead of (0, a) and (-inf, 0), it seems more reasonable to me that they would be given as A(a, 0) and B(0, -inf), both in polar coordinates.

Well, I must have made a typo somewhere, foolish me. Using convention (radius, phi) it's (a,0) and (0, -inf), as you've written.

Sorry for my mistakes and thanks for help.

Related to Line integral & logarithmic spiral

What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of integral in multivariable calculus that involves integrating a function over a curve. It is used to calculate the total change of a scalar or vector field along a curve.

How is a line integral calculated?

A line integral is calculated by breaking the curve into small segments, approximating each segment as a straight line, and then adding up the contributions from each segment. The integral is then evaluated using techniques from single-variable calculus.

What is a logarithmic spiral?

A logarithmic spiral is a special type of spiral that grows larger at a constant rate as it rotates around a central point. It is characterized by the equation r = a * e^(bθ), where r is the distance from the origin, θ is the angle of rotation, and a and b are constants.

How is a logarithmic spiral related to a line integral?

A logarithmic spiral can be used to model the curve in a line integral. By defining the curve in polar coordinates and substituting it into the line integral formula, we can calculate the line integral along the spiral.

What are some real-life applications of line integrals and logarithmic spirals?

Line integrals and logarithmic spirals have many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. For example, they can be used to calculate work done by a force on a moving object, to find the center of mass of a curved object, and to model natural phenomena such as the growth of shells and horns in animals.