Line integral of straight lines path (quick question)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the line integral F along various curves and determining the appropriate parameterization for each curve. The correct parameterizations for the given curves are provided and it is mentioned that the line integral for an arc of a circle in the first quadrant can also be found using a different parameterization.
gl0ck

Homework Statement

Hello,

I have a quick question about the following problem
F = (2y+3)i+xzj+(yz-x)k
and straight lines from (0,0,0) to (0,0,1) to (0,1,1) to (2,1,1)

Considering C1 is the line from (0,0,0) to (0,0,1)
C2 is the line from (0,0,1) to (0,1,1)
and C3 is the line from (0,1,1) to (2,1,1)

Is it right to consider x , y , z as follows
C1 --> x = 0 , y = 0 , z = t
C2 --> x = 0 , y = t , z = 1
C3 --> x = 2t , y=1, z= 1
t from 0 to 1
r = 2ti + j + k
and dr/dt = 2i
c F.dr/dt = ∫ c ((2+3)i + 2tj +(1-2t)k).(2i) dt = [10t]01 = 10 ?
Which is the right answer just I am not sure about the t notation.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to use the r associated with each curve in your calculations. So when your traversing ##C_i##you use ##r_i##. Equations below assuming the ##C_1,C_2,C_3## given by you.

##\vec{r_1} = (0,0,t)##
##\vec{r_2} = (0,t,1)##
##\vec{r_3} = (2t,1,1)##

Always remember that ##\vec{r}## is always equal to the line your integrating over.

xiavatar said:
You have to use the r associated with each curve in your calculations. So when your traversing ##C_i##you use ##r_i##. Equations below assuming the ##C_1,C_2,C_3## given by you.

##\vec{r_1} = (0,0,t)##
##\vec{r_2} = (0,t,1)##
##\vec{r_3} = (2t,1,1)##

Always remember that ##\vec{r}## is always equal to the line your integrating over.

Sorry, but just came across something different.
I am supposed to find the line integral F along the arc of a circle x^2+y^2 = 1 in the 1st quadrant from (1,0) to (0,1) .
can I assume x = t-1 and y = t ?

Thanks

Remember that this is is an arc of the circle, not the line from (1,0) to (0,1). So our arc is simply
##\vec{r}=(cos(t),sin(t))## ##0\leq t\leq \frac{pi}{2}##.

Last edited:
Do you understand why this is so?

Yes, I understood the interesting thing is that with x = t-1 and y = t I got the answer, but it seems its just a coincidence

That's peculiar. It might be because ##\vec{F}## is a conservative vector field. Too lazy to check.

gl0ck said:

Homework Statement

Hello,

I have a quick question about the following problem
F = (2y+3)i+xzj+(yz-x)k
and straight lines from (0,0,0) to (0,0,1) to (0,1,1) to (2,1,1)

Considering C1 is the line from (0,0,0) to (0,0,1)
C2 is the line from (0,0,1) to (0,1,1)
and C3 is the line from (0,1,1) to (2,1,1)

Is it right to consider x , y , z as follows
C1 --> x = 0 , y = 0 , z = t
C2 --> x = 0 , y = t , z = 1
C3 --> x = 2t , y=1, z= 1
t from 0 to 1

Yes. You can alway parameterize the straight line from ##P_0## to ##P_1## as ##(1-t)P_0 + tP_1## with ##t: 0\to 1##, which looks like what you did.

xiavatar said:
Remember that this is is an arc of the circle, not the line from (1,0) to (0,1). So our arc is simply
##\vec{r}=(cos(t),sin(t))## ##0\leq t\leq \pi##.

You mean ##0\leq t\leq \frac \pi 2##.

Yes. That's what I meant. My post had a typo. Corrected.

FAQ: Line integral of straight lines path (quick question)

1. What is a line integral of straight lines path?

A line integral of straight lines path is a type of mathematical calculation that involves finding the area under a curve in a two-dimensional space. It is used in various fields of science and engineering to solve problems related to motion, work, and energy.

2. How is the line integral of straight lines path different from a regular integral?

The line integral of straight lines path differs from a regular integral in that it involves integrating along a specific path rather than over a specific region. This means that the value of the line integral can vary depending on the path chosen, unlike a regular integral where the value is independent of the path.

3. What is the formula for calculating the line integral of straight lines path?

The formula for calculating the line integral of straight lines path is given by ∫ab f(x,y) ds = ∫ab f(x(t),y(t)) √(x'(t)2 + y'(t)2) dt, where f(x,y) is the function being integrated, ds represents the arc length along the curve, and x(t) and y(t) represent the parametric equations of the curve.

4. What are some applications of the line integral of straight lines path?

The line integral of straight lines path has various applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to calculate work done in a vector field, finding the flux of a vector field through a surface, and calculating the circulation of a vector field around a closed curve, among others.

5. Can the line integral of straight lines path be generalized to higher dimensions?

Yes, the concept of line integral can be extended to higher dimensions, such as three-dimensional space. In this case, the line integral involves integrating a scalar or vector field along a curve in three-dimensional space. It has various applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating the work done by a force field on an object moving along a three-dimensional path.