Line Integral That's Not Working Out

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of partial fraction decomposition and Cauchy's Integral Formula to solve an integral involving a circle in the complex plane centered at z=1 with radius r=3/2. After identifying and evaluating the four integrals through Cauchy's Integral Formula, the final answer was found to be \frac{\pi}{2}(1-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}+\frac{i}{\sqrt{2}}). However, there seemed to be an error in the decomposition as the expected answer was \frac{\pi i}{\sqrt{2}}.
Poopsilon
Let [itex]\alpha[/itex] be circle in the complex plane centered at z=1 with radius r=3/2. I proceed by partial fraction decomposition and then use Cauchy's Integral Formula.

[tex]\int_\alpha \frac{z^7 -1}{z^6 - z^2}dz = \int_\alpha zdz - \int_\alpha \frac{1}{z^2}dz +\frac{i}{2}\int_\alpha \frac{z-i}{z^2 - i}dz +\frac{1}{2}\int_\alpha \frac{1-i}{z^2 + i}dz[/tex]

Now the first integral is analytic everywhere so is equal to zero, the second integral is equal to zero as well by Cauchy's Integral Formula. The third integral has only one of its two singularities inside [itex]\alpha[/itex], thus applying Cauchy's Integral Formula gives:

[tex]\frac{i}{2}\int_\alpha \frac{z-i}{z^2 - i}dz = \frac{i}{2}\int_\alpha \frac{\frac{z-i}{z+(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}+\frac{i}{\sqrt{2}})}}{z-(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}+\frac{i}{\sqrt{2}})}dz = \frac{i}{2}[2\pi i(\frac{(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}+\frac{i}{\sqrt{2}})-i}{2(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}+\frac{i}{\sqrt{2}})})] = \frac{-\pi}{2}(1-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}-\frac{i}{\sqrt{2}})[/tex]

The Fourth Integral similarly has only one of its two singularities inside [itex]\alpha[/itex], and so again applying Cauchy's Integral Formula:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\int_\alpha \frac{1-i}{z^2 + i}dz = \frac{1}{2}\int_\alpha \frac{\frac{1-i}{z+(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}-\frac{i}{\sqrt{2}})}}{z-(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}-\frac{i}{\sqrt{2}})}dz = \frac{1}{2}[2\pi i(\frac{1-i}{2(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}-\frac{i}{\sqrt{2}})})]= \frac{\pi i}{2}(i+1)(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} - \frac{i}{\sqrt{2}}) = \frac{-\pi i}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

Thus adding up these four integrals gives:

[tex]\frac{-\pi i + \sqrt{2}\pi + \pi}{2\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

Now according to the book the answer should be [itex]\frac{\pi i}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex], thus I have made some error, although after checking and rechecking everything I cannot find it, maybe someone could help me, thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Shoot I actually wrote down the original integral wrong in my original post, either way though my decomposition was still screwed up, so here is the new decomposition, verified by wolfram:

[tex]\int_\alpha \frac{z^7 +1}{z^6 + z^2}dz = \int_\alpha zdz + \int_\alpha \frac{1}{z^2}dz +\frac{i}{2}\int_\alpha \frac{z+i}{z^2 - i}dz -\frac{1}{2}\int_\alpha \frac{iz + 1}{z^2 + i}dz[/tex]

Unfortunately I'm still getting the wrong answer at the end! The new 3rd and fourth integrals are:

[tex]\frac{i}{2}\int_\alpha \frac{z+i}{z^2 - i}dz = \frac{i}{2}\int_\alpha \frac{\frac{z+i}{z+(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}+\frac{i}{\sqrt{2}})}}{z-(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}+\frac{i}{\sqrt{2}})}dz = \frac{i}{2}[2\pi i(\frac{(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}+\frac{i}{\sqrt{2}})+i}{2(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}+\frac{i}{\sqrt{2}})})] = \frac{-\pi}{2}(1+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}+\frac{i}{\sqrt{2}})[/tex]

and

[tex]\frac{-1}{2}\int_\alpha \frac{iz+1}{z^2 + i}dz = \frac{-1}{2}\int_\alpha \frac{\frac{iz +1}{z+(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}-\frac{i}{\sqrt{2}})}}{z-(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}-\frac{i}{\sqrt{2}})}dz = \frac{-1}{2}[2\pi i(\frac{i(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}-\frac{i}{\sqrt{2}})+1}{2(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}-\frac{i}{\sqrt{2}})})]= \frac{\pi i}{2}(i+1)(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} - \frac{i}{\sqrt{2}}) = \frac{\pi}{2}(1-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}+\frac{i}{\sqrt{2}})[/tex]

Which when added all up gives me [itex]\frac{-\pi}{2}[/itex]. Man this integral is driving me a little bit nuts.

Last edited:
The integral was written wrong in my original post, it should be [itex]\int_\alpha \frac{z^7 +1}{z^6 + z^2}dz[/itex]. You still have the old integral in Wolfram.

FAQ: Line Integral That's Not Working Out

1. What is a line integral that's not working out?

A line integral that's not working out is a type of mathematical calculation used in physics and engineering to calculate the work done by a force along a curved path. It involves taking the dot product of a vector field and the tangent vector of the path, and then integrating over the path. However, sometimes the line integral does not work out due to various reasons, such as the path being too complex or the vector field not being defined along the entire path.

2. What are some common reasons why a line integral may not work out?

Some common reasons why a line integral may not work out include the path being too complex or not differentiable, the vector field not being defined along the entire path, or the path and the vector field not being compatible. Other reasons may include errors in calculation, incorrect setup of the integral, or incorrect choice of parametrization.

3. How do you know if a line integral is not working out?

A line integral is not working out if it results in an undefined or incorrect value. This can be determined by checking the path and the vector field for compatibility, making sure the integral is set up correctly, and double-checking the calculations. If the integral still does not work out, it may be necessary to use a different method or approach to calculate the work done.

4. Can a line integral be fixed if it's not working out?

Yes, a line integral can be fixed if it's not working out. This may involve finding a different parametrization for the path, using a different approach to calculate the integral, or making adjustments to the vector field. It may also be helpful to check for errors in calculation or seek assistance from a colleague or tutor.

5. How important is it to be able to calculate line integrals that may not work out?

Being able to calculate line integrals that may not work out is important for understanding and solving various physics and engineering problems. It requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and may also involve using different methods and techniques to overcome challenges. Being able to identify and fix issues with line integrals is a valuable skill for any scientist or engineer.