Line of Polarizers Reflection Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the reflection of light waves by a row of polarizers of the same length as the wavelength of the light. The individual asks for help in understanding why this phenomenon occurs and if it applies to different phases of light as well. The conversation also mentions an insight that the reflected red light may have constructive interference while the other light has destructive interference.
Coolcrab
http://plc.cwru.edu/tutorial/enhanced/files/lc/phase/Graphics%5Cschem.BMP
I was hoping someone could help me with understanding why a row of polarizes reflects a light wave when the whole row (the pitch P) is the same length as the wavelength of the light.

[PLAIN]http://www.aetherwavetheory.info/images/physics/color/cholecteric_color.gif[PLAIN]http://www.battlesnake.co.uk/_uni/lcd_files/image006.gif

I prettymuch get the physics behind the rest, just don't understand this little part. Why only the light of that length and does this also apply for light coming in at a different phase than the crystals?

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
So I've been reading my optics book (again) and came on an insight, could it be because all the reflected red light is in the same phase and has constructive interference while all the other light has destructive interference?

Related to Line of Polarizers Reflection Question

1. What is a line of polarizers reflection?

A line of polarizers reflection refers to the phenomenon of light waves reflecting off a series of polarizers oriented in a specific direction. This reflection causes the light to become polarized, meaning it oscillates in a single plane instead of in all directions.

2. How do polarizers affect the reflection of light waves?

Polarizers only allow light waves oscillating in a specific direction to pass through, while blocking waves oscillating in all other directions. When a line of polarizers is arranged in a certain orientation, the reflected light will be polarized in that same direction.

3. What is the purpose of using a line of polarizers for reflection?

Using a line of polarizers for reflection can help control the intensity and direction of the reflected light. This is useful in applications such as photography, where controlling the amount and angle of light can greatly impact the final image.

4. How does the angle of the polarizers affect the reflection?

The angle of the polarizers can greatly affect the intensity and polarization of the reflected light. When the polarizers are aligned at a 90 degree angle, the reflected light is completely blocked. As the angle decreases, more light is able to pass through and the reflected light becomes more polarized.

5. Can multiple line of polarizers be used for reflection?

Yes, multiple lines of polarizers can be used for reflection. This can create more complex patterns of polarization and can be used to further control the direction and intensity of the reflected light. However, each additional line of polarizers also reduces the overall intensity of the reflected light.