Linear Acceleration at the Top and Bottom of a wheel

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the linear acceleration of a point at the top and bottom of a wheel, with two different frames of reference (a woman in the car and a hitchhiker near the road). The equations used are v=\omega r and a_{cent}=\frac{v^2}{r}. To find the correct answer, the units must be converted to meters, seconds, and radians.
Eggyu
hey guys, i was wondering if anyone could explain how to find the linear acceleration of a point at the top and bottom of a wheel. the homework problem is as follows (just so you know the context, i don't want the answers, i want to know how to go about this.):

Consider a 61 cm diameter tire on a car traveling at 50 km/h on a level road in the positive direction of an x axis.

(a) Relative to a woman in the car, what is the linear velocity v of the center of the wheel.
m/s
(b) What is the magnitude a of the linear acceleration?
m/s2
(c) What is v for a point at the top of the tire?
m/s
(d) What is a for a point at the top of the tire?
m/s2
(e) What is v for a point at the bottom of the tire?
m/s
(f)What is a for a point at the bottom of the tire?
m/s2 Now repeat the questions relative to a hitchhiker sitting near the road.

(g) What is v at the wheel's center?
m/s
(h) What is a at the wheel's center?
m/s2
(i) What is v at the tire top?
m/s
(j) What is a at the tire top?
m/s2
(k) What is v at the tire bottom?
m/s
(l) What is a at the tire bottom?
m/s2

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]v=\omega r[/tex]
[tex]a_{cent}=\frac{v^2}{r}[/tex]

You should be able to figure out the rest.

Thanks for the help, it worked the the two on the first part but it didn't work for the second set of two.

Eggyu said:
Thanks for the help, it worked the the two on the first part but it didn't work for the second set of two.

I think that should have worked for the hitchhiker.

For the woman, the relative linear velocity of the center of the wheel is 0 (it's going the same speed as she is).

The bottom of the wheel will be -v, and the top +v.

Yeah, i plugged the answers into the site and it did not accept them as correct. Within the hitch hiker part, the accel would be zero (according to the a = v^2/r) because the v is zero at the bottom. For the hitch hiker/top of the wheel part, i calculated the accel to be 2.53E3 m/s^2, which is obviously not right.

Eggyu said:
Yeah, i plugged the answers into the site and it did not accept them as correct. Within the hitch hiker part, the accel would be zero (according to the a = v^2/r) because the v is zero at the bottom. For the hitch hiker/top of the wheel part, i calculated the accel to be 2.53E3 m/s^2, which is obviously not right.

Regardless of frame of reference among the hitchhiker or the woman, any point on the wheel, except the center, is going to be accelerating towards the center of the wheel.

That centripetal acceleration is given by:

[tex]a_{cent}=\frac{v^2}{r}=\omega^2 r[/tex]

Also make sure your units are correct.

You were given the diameter in cm, and the velocity in km/h.

Convert everything to meters, seconds and radians.

Yeah, i just rechecked my work and everything at it worked out. You freaking rock man! Thanks for all the help!

http://www.turboconnection.com/pics/smilies/thankya.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Linear Acceleration at the Top and Bottom of a wheel

What is linear acceleration at the top and bottom of a wheel?

Linear acceleration at the top and bottom of a wheel refers to the rate of change of speed of a point on the wheel's circumference as it rotates. This acceleration is in a straight line, perpendicular to the radius of the wheel.

How is linear acceleration at the top and bottom of a wheel calculated?

Linear acceleration at the top and bottom of a wheel can be calculated using the formula a = rω², where a is the linear acceleration, r is the radius of the wheel, and ω is the angular velocity of the wheel. It can also be calculated by differentiating the angular velocity with respect to time.

What factors affect the linear acceleration at the top and bottom of a wheel?

The linear acceleration at the top and bottom of a wheel is affected by the radius of the wheel, the angular velocity of the wheel, and the change in angular velocity over time. It is also affected by external forces such as friction and air resistance.

How does the linear acceleration at the top and bottom of a wheel affect the motion of the wheel?

The linear acceleration at the top and bottom of a wheel affects the motion of the wheel by changing its speed and direction. This acceleration causes the wheel to speed up or slow down, and also determines the direction in which the wheel will move.

Can linear acceleration at the top and bottom of a wheel be negative?

Yes, linear acceleration at the top and bottom of a wheel can be negative. This indicates that the wheel is slowing down or accelerating in the opposite direction of its initial motion. A negative linear acceleration can also be caused by external forces acting against the motion of the wheel.

Back