Linear algebra and differential equations advising

In summary, the conversation discusses whether it is typical or recommended to take differential equations and linear algebra simultaneously after completing multi variable calculus. The group agrees that it can be done but it depends on the individual's ability and workload. They also mention the importance of linear algebra in understanding both multivariable calculus and differential equations. It is suggested to take linear algebra and multivariable calculus together, but combining all three courses may be too demanding.
nooaah
Hey guys,
I'm talking to my advisor soon and I was wondering if it is typical to, after taking multi variable calc, to take differential equations and linear algebra simultaneously? I'm going to have to be taking both modern physics and organic chemistry II as well, for context.
Thanks everyone

Physics news on Phys.org
nooaah said:
Hey guys,
I'm talking to my advisor soon and I was wondering if it is typical to, after taking multi variable calc, to take differential equations and linear algebra simultaneously? I'm going to have to be taking both modern physics and organic chemistry II as well, for context.
Thanks everyone

Can you? Sure. Should you? I don't know enough about you to say, but if you feel comfortable, then do it. Honestly I recommend people take linear algebra before vector calculus.

You will know better than us if you can do it. Consider this: you'll have 4 hard classes to take in one semester. Have you had 2 or 3 hard classes in one semester before? If so, do you feel you did well or not? I'm of the opinion if you do well with 3 hard classes, and still had ample time for your personal life, then 4 hard classes is manageable if you agree to lifestyle changes for yourself. However, if you did well with 3 but didn't have any time to yourself, then it's fair to say you probably shouldn't take 4. Instead of cutting into extra time for yourself, you'll be cutting within the time allotted between your classes instead. You would probably start to struggle when you have to sacrifice study time for one class in exchange for another even when both have an exam in a week. In which case you're figuring out what to strategically do worse on to do well in other things. That's when you know you have too much on your plate.

nooaah said:
Hey guys,
Thanks everyone
Used to be that some programs wanted students (physical sciences & engineering) to do single-variable calculus, and then multi-variable calculus, AND THEN a combination course of differential equations & linear algebra. The combination course came AFTER multivariable calculus.

No, I would not do so. If you have fundamental gaps in your knowledge of Calculus 2, you may find during ODE, that you lack integration and Series. I would take Linear Algebra and Calculus 3 together. Some results in ODE, are easier to understand because of Linear Algebra.

Although, typical of most ODE courses, only Calculus 2 is required to be successful. Now taking all 3 together, is complete suicide. If Linear Algebra is taught properly, it is no longer a plug and chug class, it is the first math class that makes you actually think and proof write.

My impression is that the beginning course in differential equations usually only require the Calculus II as the course is focused on the techniques and problem-solving aspects of the ODE. I would take both linear algebra and multivariable calculus together. Since the concepts of LA are extensively used in the multivariable calculus, I think such combination will offer you an unique opportunity to see their interchangeability.

I agree with the above posters. Linear algebra is really helpful in understanding both multivariable calculus and differential equations. So taking it together with calculus 3 should really be helpful to understand some concept better, even though it's not strictly necessary.

I have taken all the classes you mentioned and aside from modern physics and personally, I would not take those for classes together. Some people can handle more than others and you know yourself more than anyone, so... Linear Algebra and diffQ aren't so hard, I took them together.

Related to Linear algebra and differential equations advising

1. What is the difference between linear algebra and differential equations?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their properties, while differential equations involve the study of how quantities change over time.

2. How are linear algebra and differential equations used in scientific research?

Linear algebra and differential equations are essential tools in scientific research, as they provide a way to model and analyze complex systems and phenomena. They are used in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology.

3. What are some real-world applications of linear algebra and differential equations?

Some real-world applications of linear algebra and differential equations include predicting the spread of diseases, analyzing population growth, designing control systems for robots, and simulating chemical reactions.

4. What skills are necessary for success in studying linear algebra and differential equations?

To succeed in studying linear algebra and differential equations, it is essential to have a strong foundation in algebra and calculus. Additionally, critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills are crucial for understanding and applying these concepts.

5. Are there any resources available for students seeking help with linear algebra and differential equations?

Yes, there are many resources available for students seeking help with linear algebra and differential equations. These include textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and tutoring services. It is also helpful to attend office hours and seek guidance from professors or peers.