Linear Algebra and Quadratic Forms

In summary, the conversation is about finding a symmetric matrix for a given quadratic form, determining the nature of a critical point at the origin, and finding the minimum and maximum values of the quadratic form on a specific sphere. The attempted solution includes finding the matrix and eigenvalues, and ultimately finding a section in the book that explains how to find the maximum and minimum values.
Wint

Homework Statement

For the quadratic form x2-2xy+2yz+z2:

a) Find a symmetric matrix that allows the quadratic form to be written as xTAx.
b) Determine if the critical point at the origin is a minimum, maximum, or neither.
c) Find the points for which the quadratic form achieves its minimum and maximum values on the sphere x2+y2+z2=1.

Homework Equations

Unsure, I'm having troubles with part c and I think my notes may be missing something. I have written down here that:

x = Qy (x,y are matrices, Q is an orthonormal matrix) but I'm not sure how to use that. I have written next to it that the maximum is at x=q1 and the minimum is at x=qn where n is the dimension of the matrix and q is the column in Q, but I'm not sure what that means.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have figured out a and b easily enough:
The matrix is
vNvba.gif

The eigenvalues are 2, 1, and -1, which tells me that the critical point at the origin is neither a maximum or a minimum.

Which brings us to part c. Really I'm just trying to find anything that explains further how we find these maximum and minimum values, and any guidance would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I found the section in my book that discusses this, and I've figured it out. Seems like that usually happens right after I ask the question.

FAQ: Linear Algebra and Quadratic Forms

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the study of linear transformations, matrices, and systems of linear equations.

2. What are the basic concepts of linear algebra?

The basic concepts of linear algebra include vectors, matrices, linear transformations, and systems of linear equations. These concepts are used to solve problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

3. What is a quadratic form?

A quadratic form is a polynomial function of several variables in which the highest degree term is a squared variable. It can be represented by a symmetric matrix and is often used to study the behavior of quadratic equations.

4. What is the difference between a linear and a quadratic equation?

A linear equation involves variables raised to the first power, while a quadratic equation involves variables raised to the second power. In other words, a linear equation is a straight line, while a quadratic equation is a parabola.

5. How is linear algebra used in real life?

Linear algebra is used in a wide range of fields, including engineering, physics, economics, and computer graphics. It can be used to solve problems involving systems of linear equations, model and analyze data, and optimize processes. Examples include designing computer algorithms, creating 3D animations, and predicting stock market trends.