Linear Algebra. Are my methods and solutions correct?

In summary: The determinant is -6 when λ=12. but could you please verify if the methods that i have chosen to solve the problems are correct as well as the answer?Thanks in advance.The determinant is -6 when λ=12. but could you please verify if the methods that i have chosen to solve the problems are correct as well as the answer?
DoderMan
Consider the following three vectors in R3: u1=(3,6,2) , u2=(-1,0,1) , u3=(3,λ,7)

a) Find all values of λ E R, such that {u1, u2, u3} spans R3, i.e.R3 = span {u1, u2, u3}

b) Find the value of λ E R, such that {u1, u2, u3} spans a plane in R3.

c) Find all values of k E R, such that the vector v=(8,6,k) belongs to the plane spanned by {u1,u2,u3} (for the value of λ which you obtained in part (b))

In part (a) I took the determinante of the vectors {u1,u2,u3} and I got λ=12. Is the procedure and solution correct?

In part (b) I performed Gauss-jorden elimination method on vectors {u1,u2,u3} and I got λ=6. Is the procedure and solution correct?

In part (c) I again performed Gauss-jorden elimination method on vectors {u1,u2,u3,v} and I found that k= (16/3). Is the procedure and solution correct?

I am also confused about part (a) and (b). In part (a) the three vectors span R3 but in part (b) the three vectors span a plane in R3. How is it possible?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
DoderMan said:
Consider the following three vectors in R3: u1=(3,6,2) , u2=(-1,0,1) , u3=(3,λ,7)

a) Find all values of λ E R, such that {u1, u2, u3} spans R3, i.e.R3 = span {u1, u2, u3}

b) Find the value of λ E R, such that {u1, u2, u3} spans a plane in R3.

c) Find all values of k E R, such that the vector v=(8,6,k) belongs to the plane spanned by {u1,u2,u3} (for the value of λ which you obtained in part (b))

In part (a) I took the determinante of the vectors {u1,u2,u3} and I got λ=12. Is the procedure and solution correct?

In part (b) I performed Gauss-jorden elimination method on vectors {u1,u2,u3} and I got λ=6. Is the procedure and solution correct?

In part (c) I again performed Gauss-jorden elimination method on vectors {u1,u2,u3,v} and I found that k= (16/3). Is the procedure and solution correct?

I am also confused about part (a) and (b). In part (a) the three vectors span R3 but in part (b) the three vectors span a plane in R3. How is it possible?

Thanks in advance.

What is the determinant when λ=12? The three vectors span the whole 3-dimensional space if they are independent. They span a plane if only two of them are independent.

ehild

Last edited:
The determinant is -6 when λ=12. but could you please verify if the methods that i have chosen to solve the problems are correct as well as the answer?

Thanks in advance.

DoderMan said:
The determinant is -6 when λ=12. but could you please verify if the methods that i have chosen to solve the problems are correct as well as the answer?

Thanks in advance.
Your "solution" and answers are not correct.
How did you get the values for lambda? What equations did you use? The determinant is an expression including lambda. To get lambda, you need an equation.
The same with the Gauss elimination. You have a matrix. You can transform it into diagonal form. But it is still a matrix. You need an equation to get lambda.
Better to show your derivation in detail.

Anyway, the matrix of the vectors u1,u2,u3

[tex]
\begin{pmatrix}
3 & -1 & 3 \\
6 & 0 & λ \\
2 & 1 & 7
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

has determinant D=60-5λ. If λ=12, D=0.

ehild

For part (a) I calculated the determinant just like you did. I got D=60-5λ then I put 60-5λ=0 => λ=12.
Then I substituted lambda for 12 and calculated the determinant again and got D= -6

I recalculated part (b) and (c). I took pictures of the calculations and uploaded them here.
In part (b) I got/chose λ=2 and in part (c) I could not find an answer for K.

Attachments

• 20140312_201306[1].jpg
    20140312_201306[1].jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 406
  • 20140312_201531[1].jpg
    20140312_201531[1].jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 392
DoderMan said:
For part (a) I calculated the determinant just like you did. I got D=60-5λ then I put 60-5λ=0 => λ=12.
Then I substituted lambda for 12 and calculated the determinant again and got D= -6

Do you not notice the contradiction? If the determinant is zero when λ=12, how can be the determinant -6 if λ=12?

You made a mistake in the Gauss elimination at the end of the second line, first page.

If the determinant is zero, the equation Ax=0 has non-trivial solutions, that is, linear combination of the column vectors of the matrix can be zero. Are the column vectors independent or dependent then?

ehild

Related to Linear Algebra. Are my methods and solutions correct?

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the use of matrices and vectors to solve systems of linear equations and understand geometric transformations.

2. What are the main applications of linear algebra?

Linear algebra has numerous applications in fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, economics, and social sciences. It is used to model and solve problems related to systems of linear equations, optimization, data analysis, and computer graphics, among others.

3. How do I know if my methods and solutions in linear algebra are correct?

To determine the correctness of your methods and solutions in linear algebra, you can use several techniques, such as checking for consistency, solving for special cases, and verifying your results using software programs or hand calculations.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid in linear algebra?

Some common mistakes to avoid in linear algebra include using the wrong operations, not following the correct order of operations, making errors in matrix operations, and not considering special cases. It is also essential to check for consistency and verify your results to avoid mistakes.

5. How can I improve my understanding of linear algebra?

To improve your understanding of linear algebra, it is essential to practice solving problems and working with matrices and vectors. You can also seek help from textbooks, online resources, and tutors. Additionally, it is beneficial to understand the underlying concepts and connections between different topics in linear algebra.