Linear Algebra- determining if a eigenbasis exists

In summary, the matrix provided is a 3x3 matrix with eigenvalues of 1 and 0, with algebraic multiplicities of 2 and 1 respectively. The corresponding eigenspaces are E1 = span(1 0 0)^T and E0 = span(0 0 1)^T. The geometric multiplicity of eigenvalue 1 is 1, and the geometric multiplicity of eigenvalue 0 is 1. The dimension of E1 is unknown, but can be determined using the "dimension-nullity" theorem.
brushman
I have the matrix:
1 1 0
0 1 0
0 0 0

First question: Is it correct that this is a 3 x 3 matrix (as opposed to a 2 x 2 matrix, since the last row and column are 0s)?

I have found the eigenvalues to be λ1 = 1, λ2 = 1, λ3 = 0. Then I have found the corresponding eigenspaces to be E1 = E2 = span (1 0 0)^T and E3 = span (0 0 1)^T.

Second question: Are λ1 and λ2 considered different eigenvalues? If so, is each considered to have its own space, even if they are just equal?

I have the following theorem (part b. on p324 LA w/ Otto Bretscher):
There exists an eigenbasis for an n x n matrix A if (and only if) the geometric multiplicities of the eigenvalues add up to n.

Final question: Is there an eigenbasis for the above matrix (which I have already found the eigenvalues and eigenvectors for)? Here are my two trains of thought and I do not know which is correct:

Train 1: the multiplicity of λ1 is 1, the multiplicity of λ2 is 1, and the multiplicity of λ3 is 1. Therefore, 1+1+1 = 3 = n. Therefore, an eigenbasis exists.

Train 2: the repeated eigenvalue (λ1 = λ2 = 1) is treated as 1 eigenvalue. Then we have the multiplicity of the repeated eigenvalue is 1 and the multiplicity of the other eigenvalue is 1. 1+1 = 2 < n = 3. Therefore, an eigenbasis does not exist.

Which is correct?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you find two independent vectors so as Av=1*v and
independent from that for λ=0?

ehild

brushman said:
I have the matrix:
1 1 0
0 1 0
0 0 0

First question: Is it correct that this is a 3 x 3 matrix (as opposed to a 2 x 2 matrix, since the last row and column are 0s)?

I have found the eigenvalues to be λ1 = 1, λ2 = 1, λ3 = 0. Then I have found the corresponding eigenspaces to be E1 = E2 = span (1 0 0)^T and E3 = span (0 0 1)^T.

Second question: Are λ1 and λ2 considered different eigenvalues? If so, is each considered to have its own space, even if they are just equal?
No. This matrix has two eigenvalues, 1 and 0. 1 has algebraic multiplicity (multplicity as a root of the characteristic polynomial) 2 and 0 has algebraic multiplicity 1.

I have the following theorem (part b. on p324 LA w/ Otto Bretscher):
There exists an eigenbasis for an n x n matrix A if (and only if) the geometric multiplicities of the eigenvalues add up to n.

Final question: Is there an eigenbasis for the above matrix (which I have already found the eigenvalues and eigenvectors for)? Here are my two trains of thought and I do not know which is correct:

Train 1: the multiplicity of λ1 is 1, the multiplicity of λ2 is 1, and the multiplicity of λ3 is 1. Therefore, 1+1+1 = 3 = n. Therefore, an eigenbasis exists.

Train 2: the repeated eigenvalue (λ1 = λ2 = 1) is treated as 1 eigenvalue. Then we have the multiplicity of the repeated eigenvalue is 1 and the multiplicity of the other eigenvalue is 1. 1+1 = 2 < n = 3. Therefore, an eigenbasis does not exist.
That is the "algebraic" multiplicity, not the "geometric" multiplicity.

Which is correct?

Thanks.
You are confusing "algebraic" multiplicity, the multiplicity as a root of the characteristic equation, with the "geometric" multiplicity, the dimension of the eigenspace for that eigenvalue. The geometric multiplicity of an eigenvalue may be less than the algebraic multiplicity. Through "train 1" the geometric multiplicity would be the same as the geometric multiplicity for every matrix, there would always exist an eigenbasis, and every matrix would be diagonalizable!

The fact that every eigenvector corresponding to eigenvalue 1 is a multiple of [1, 0, 0] tells you the eigenspace has dimension 1 so the geometric multiplicity of eigenvalue 1 is 1, not 2.

"Train 2" is correct if you specify geometric multiplicity.

Last edited by a moderator:
you have just 2 eigenspaces, E1 and E0.

now if we call our matrix A, E0 is the _____ of A.

by the ___-____ theorem, we know that the dimension of _____ is__?

so the real question becomes: what is dim(E1)?

FAQ: Linear Algebra- determining if a eigenbasis exists

1. What is an eigenbasis in linear algebra?

An eigenbasis is a set of linearly independent eigenvectors for a given matrix. This means that the matrix can be represented as a diagonal matrix with only the eigenvalues on the diagonal.

2. How do you determine if an eigenbasis exists for a matrix?

An eigenbasis exists for a matrix if and only if the matrix is diagonalizable, meaning it can be represented as a diagonal matrix using its eigenvalues and corresponding eigenvectors. To determine if a matrix is diagonalizable, we can use the characteristic polynomial and check if it has distinct roots.

3. What is the importance of an eigenbasis?

An eigenbasis is important because it simplifies the representation of a matrix. With an eigenbasis, we can easily compute powers of the matrix and perform other operations, such as taking the inverse. It also allows us to understand the behavior of a matrix and its transformations.

4. Can a matrix have more than one eigenbasis?

No, a matrix can only have one eigenbasis. However, a matrix can have multiple eigenvalues and corresponding eigenvectors, which can form a basis for the eigenspace associated with that eigenvalue.

5. How do you find the eigenbasis for a given matrix?

To find the eigenbasis, we first need to find the eigenvalues of the matrix by solving the characteristic polynomial. Then, for each eigenvalue, we find its corresponding eigenvector by solving the system of linear equations (A - λI)x = 0, where A is the matrix, λ is the eigenvalue, and x is the eigenvector. Once we have all the eigenvectors, we can check if they are linearly independent and form an eigenbasis for the matrix.

Back