Linear algebra - Diagonalizable matrix

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a 5x5 matrix A over R and its eigenvectors. It is stated that 3 eigenvectors of A are given, and it is also mentioned that A is similar to a matrix with (3,0,0,0,0)t as its first column. The conversation then asks for hints or suggestions on how to find two more independent eigenvectors.
BitterX
This question has a lot data but I don't really know how to connect it all together

Homework Statement

Let A be a 5x5 matrix over R

3 eigenvectors of A are:
[itex]u_1=(1,0,0,1,1)[/itex]
[itex]u_2=(1,1,0,0,1)[/itex]
[itex]u_3=(-1,0,1,0,0)[/itex]

also:
[itex]\rho (2I-A)>\rho (3I-A)[/itex]

and: [itex]A(1,2,2,1,3)^t=(0,4,6,2,6)^t[/itex]

prove that A is diagonalizable and find a diagonal matrix similar to it.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I can make of this is:
[itex](1,2,2,1,3)^t=u_1 + 2u_2 + 2u_3[/itex]

(then maybe I can say that P has the eigenvectors as columns and
[itex]AP(1,2,2,0,0)^t=(0,4,6,2,6)^t[/itex]

but then what?)

and because
[itex]\rho (2I-A)>\rho (3I-A)[/itex]
[itex]\rho (2I-A)\leq 5[/itex]
it means that
[itex]5>\rho (3I-A)[/itex]
and so
[itex]det(3I-A)=0[/itex]
and 3 is an eigenvalue of A.

I would like some hints/suggestions on what to do.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
A 5 by 5 matrix is diagonalizable if and only if it has 5 independent eigenvectors. You are given three independent eigenvectors. Can you find two more?

I know how to get the eigenvectors from an existing matrix
but not from an eigenvalue or anything they gave me... :/

I think I found one eigenvector,

if 3 is an eigenvalue of A, then A is similar to a matrix which it's first column is
(3,0,0,0,0)t

so an eigenvector of this matrix is (1,0,0,0,0) and thus it's an eigenvector of A as well

I only need to find one more :D (assuming I'm right).

Related to Linear algebra - Diagonalizable matrix

1. What is a diagonalizable matrix?

A diagonalizable matrix is a square matrix that can be transformed into a diagonal matrix through a similarity transformation. This means that there exists an invertible matrix P such that P-1AP is a diagonal matrix.

2. How can you determine if a matrix is diagonalizable?

A matrix is diagonalizable if it has n linearly independent eigenvectors, where n is the dimension of the matrix. This means that the matrix must have n distinct eigenvalues in order to be diagonalizable.

3. What is the significance of diagonalizable matrices?

Diagonalizable matrices are important in linear algebra because they can simplify calculations and make certain operations easier to perform. They also have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

4. Can a non-square matrix be diagonalizable?

No, a non-square matrix cannot be diagonalizable because diagonalization requires the matrix to be square. However, a non-square matrix may have a diagonalizable square submatrix.

5. How is diagonalization used in solving systems of linear equations?

Diagonalization can be used to simplify systems of linear equations by converting the system into a diagonal form, where each equation can be solved independently. This can make it easier to find solutions to the system, especially for large matrices.