Linear Algebra - Find the vectors

In summary, to find vectors u1 and u2 such that u1 is parallel to v, u2 is orthogonal to v, and u = u1 + u2, you can use the dot product and cross product to find the equations -5a+ x= -5, -a+ y= -1, -13a+ z= -13, and 2x+ y+ 4z= 0. Solving these equations will give you the vectors u1 and u2.
cris623

Homework Statement

For u=(−5 −1 −13) and v=(2 1 4), find the vectors u1 and u2 such that:
(i) u1 is parallel to v
(ii) u2 is orthogonal to v
(iii) u = u1 + u2

The Attempt at a Solution

Since u2 is perpendicular to v I used the dot product set equal to zero:

(x y z) . ( 2 1 4) = 2x + y + 4z=0

Past that I'm not too sure.
I can see that u1 and u2 are also perpendicular to each other and u1 will be some t(2 1 4) but other than that, I have no idea

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your attempt at finding u2 actually involved using the dot product. A cross product would have produced a vector.

Yeah you're right. I meant to put cross product.

I would NOT use a cross product because you don't have two vectors you want u2 orthogonal to.

Any vector parallel to (-5, -1, -13) is of the form (-5a, -a, -13a) for some number a.
any vector, (x, y, z) orthogonal to (2, 1, 4) satisfies 2x+ y+ 4z= 0.

u= u1+ v means that (-5a, -a, -13a)+ (x, y, z)= (-5, -1, -13) so that (-5a+ x, -a+ y, -13a+ z)= (-5, -1, -13) which means you want to solve -5a+ x= -5, -a+ y= -1, -13a+ z= -13. with 2x+ y+ 4z= 0. From that last equation, y= -2x- 4z. Putting that in for y in those equations gives three equations to solve for x, y, and a.

(That turns out to have a rather trivial solution.)

Related to Linear Algebra - Find the vectors

1. What is a vector in linear algebra?

A vector in linear algebra is a mathematical object that represents a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is typically denoted by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude of the vector.

2. How do you find the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector is found by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of its components. In other words, if the vector is represented by (x, y, z), its magnitude is given by √(x² + y² + z²).

3. What is the dot product of two vectors?

The dot product of two vectors is a scalar value that is equal to the product of their magnitudes and the cosine of the angle between them. This can be written as a·b = |a||b|cos(θ), where a and b are the two vectors and θ is the angle between them.

4. How is linear independence related to vectors?

A set of vectors is considered linearly independent if none of the vectors in the set can be written as a linear combination of the others. In other words, each vector in the set adds a new dimension to the vector space. Linearly independent vectors are important in linear algebra because they provide a basis for the vector space, allowing for the representation of any vector in that space.

5. How do you use matrices to find the solution to a system of linear equations?

In linear algebra, systems of linear equations can be represented using matrices. By applying various operations to these matrices, such as row operations and Gaussian elimination, the system can be reduced to an equivalent system with a simpler form. This process can be repeated until the system is in a triangular form, making it easy to find the solution by back substitution.