Linear Algebra Help, Area of a Parallelogram using vectors

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the area of a parallelogram defined by two four-dimensional vectors. The general solution is to use the magnitude of the cross product of the two vectors. However, the discussion also mentions using other equations and formulas found online, with one suggestion being to use the determinant of the transpose of a matrix containing the vectors. The final answer is determined to be the square root of 131.
Axoren

Homework Statement

Find the area of the parallelogram defined by the vectors

v = {1 1 3 1}
w = {-2 -1 2 2}

Homework Equations

Area = v dot w * sin(theta)
theta = cos^-1(v dot w / |v|*|w|)

The Attempt at a Solution

Solved
General Solution:

Area of a parallelogram for non-R^3 vectors = v dot w * sin(cos^-1(v dot w / (|v|*|w|)))

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If v and w are two vectors representing two adjacent sides of the parallelogram, then the area is the magnitude of the cross product of those two vectors.

jegues said:
If v and w are two vectors representing two adjacent sides of the parallelogram, then the area is the magnitude of the cross product of those two vectors.

You can't perform cross product on vectors outside of R^3

Axoren said:
You can't perform cross product on vectors outside of R^3

Whoops! Sorry, I didn't notice they were 4 dimensional vectors.

I got it, some how. Updated original post.

Axoren said:
I got it, some how. Updated original post.

What do you mean you got it some how... What did you do? Alegbra mistake?

jegues said:
What do you mean you got it some how... What did you do? Alegbra mistake?

I didn't depend on the cross product and started using other equations around the internet.

I provided them in the original post.

I don't think that's right. You can let

[tex] A=\begin{bmatrix} 1 & -2 \\ 1 & -1 \\ 3 & 2 \\ 1 & 2 \end{bmatrix} [/tex]

and then the volume is:

[tex] V = \sqrt{det \left(A^TA \right)} [/tex]

which isn't 5.

EDIT: Oh, I see you got it with some other formula. Was the answer [itex] \sqrt{131} [/itex] ?

Related to Linear Algebra Help, Area of a Parallelogram using vectors

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with studying linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves operations on vectors and matrices to solve problems related to geometry, physics, and engineering.

2. How is linear algebra used in real life?

Linear algebra has numerous applications in real life, such as computer graphics, data analysis, machine learning, cryptography, and economics. It is used to solve complex problems involving large datasets and to model real-world situations.

3. How do you find the area of a parallelogram using vectors?

To find the area of a parallelogram using vectors, you can use the cross product of two adjacent sides of the parallelogram. The magnitude of the cross product will give you the area of the parallelogram.

4. Can linear algebra be used to solve problems in other branches of mathematics?

Yes, linear algebra is a powerful tool that can be used to solve problems in various branches of mathematics, including differential equations, calculus, and statistics. It provides a systematic and efficient way of solving complex problems.

5. What are some common applications of linear algebra in science and engineering?

Linear algebra has many applications in science and engineering, such as solving systems of linear equations, performing transformations in 3D space, modeling physical systems, and analyzing data. It is also used in fields like quantum mechanics, control theory, and signal processing.