Linear Algebra Help: Homework Equations & Solutions

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions related to linear transformations in R^3. The first question involves finding the matrix for the transformation T(x)=VxX, while the second question asks for the matrix of a rotation about the y-axis. The concept of "linear" is also defined in this context.
maximade

Homework Statement

There are two questions in my problem set that are giving me a hard time:
1. The cross product of two vectors in R^3 is defined by [a1, a2, a3]X[b1, b2, b3]=[a2b3-a3b2, a3b1-a1b3, a1b2-a2b1] (they are all one column) Consider an arbitrary vector v in R^3. Is the transformation T(x)=VxX from r^3 to R^3 linear? If so, find its matrix in terms of the components of the vector v.
2. Find matrices of the linear transformations from R^3 to R^3:
The rotation about the y-axis through an angle theta, clockwise as viewed from the positive y-axis.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. In this one I pretty much crossed v and x to get [v2x3-v3x2, v3x1-v1x3, v1x2-v2x1] after this I'm not too sure. I also only know that it is linear if the x matrix is scaled. (I think I'm wrong about that) I pretty sure it would help if I know what "linear" mean in this context.
2. A little question about the wording, is it saying that it is reflected about the y axis? If so would it be [-1 0 0, 0 1 0, 0 0 -1]?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
"Linear" means that T(u+ w)= T(u)+ T(w) and that T(au= aT(u) where u and w are vectors and a is a number.

Is [itex](\vec{u}+ \vec{w})\times\vec{v}= \vec{u}\times\vec{v}+ \vec{w}\vec{v}[/itex]? Is [itex](a\vec{u})\times\vec{v}= a(\vec{u}\times\vec{v})[/itex]?

Related to Linear Algebra Help: Homework Equations & Solutions

1. What is Linear Algebra and why is it important?

Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It is important because it provides a framework for solving systems of equations, understanding geometric transformations, and developing algorithms for various applications.

2. What are the basic concepts in Linear Algebra?

The basic concepts in Linear Algebra include vectors, matrices, linear transformations, and systems of linear equations. Other important concepts include eigenvalues and eigenvectors, determinants, and vector spaces.

3. How can Linear Algebra be applied in real-world problems?

Linear Algebra has numerous applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, computer science, and data science. For example, it can be used to model and solve problems in circuit analysis, optimization, and image processing.

4. What are some common methods used in Linear Algebra?

Some common methods used in Linear Algebra include Gaussian elimination, matrix operations, eigenvalue decomposition, and least squares regression. These methods can be used to solve systems of linear equations, find the best fit for a set of data, and analyze transformations.

5. Where can I find resources for learning Linear Algebra?

There are many online resources available for learning Linear Algebra, such as textbooks, videos, and practice problems. Additionally, many universities offer online courses or lecture notes on the subject. It is also helpful to seek guidance from a teacher or tutor for personalized assistance.

Back