Linear Algebra: Linear Independence

In summary, if v1,v2,...,vr form a linearly independent set in the vector space V, then the coordinate vectors (v1)s, (v2)s,...,(vr)s form a linearly independent set in the space Rn.
DerivativeofJ

Homework Statement

Let S be a basis for an n-dimensional vector space V. Show that if v1,v2,...,vr form a linearly independent set of the vectors in V, then the coordinate vectors (v1)s, (v2)s,...,(vr)s form a linearly independent set in the Rn, and conversely.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried working this problem but i got stuck almost at the end. i know that to show that the coordinate vectors form a linearly independent set that the following equation

k1((v1)s)+ k2((v2)s) +...+ kr((v)s)=0 has to have only the trivial solution. Could i please get some help. I wrote v1, v2,..vn as a linear combination of the set S which i defined as S={w1,w2,...,wn}. Help please.

Physics news on Phys.org
If v1 is a vector, then what is (v1)s supposed to mean?

It is notation. It is called the coordinate vector of v1 relative to S.

for example v1 can be written as a linear combination of the basis S

v1= c1(w1)+ c2(w2)+...+ cn(wn)

thus

(v1)s= {c1,c2,...,cn}

You want to prove that the two implications
$$\sum_i k_i v_i=0\ \Rightarrow\ \forall i~~k_i=0$$ and
$$\sum_i k_i (v_i)_S=0\ \Rightarrow\ \forall i~~k_i=0.$$ are either both true or both false. You can do this by proving that ##\sum_i k_i (v_i)_S=\big(\sum_i k_i v_i)_S##. This is a matrix equation, so it holds if and only if the jth components of the left-hand side and the right-hand side are equal for all j.

The following observation is useful. For all vectors x, we have
$$
\begin{align}
x &=\sum_j x_j w_j\\
x_S &=\sum_j (x_S)_j e_j=\sum_j x_j e_j,
\end{align}
$$ where the ##e_j## are the standard basis vectors for ##\mathbb R^n##. The important detail here is that ##(x_S)_j=x_j##, by definition of the "S" notation.

Thank You!

Related to Linear Algebra: Linear Independence

What is linear independence?

Linear independence refers to the idea that a set of vectors in a vector space cannot be represented as a linear combination of other vectors in that same space. In other words, if none of the vectors in a set can be written as a linear combination of the others, then the set is linearly independent.

How do you determine if a set of vectors is linearly independent?

To determine if a set of vectors is linearly independent, you can use the linear independence test. This test involves setting up a system of equations using the vectors as coefficients and solving for the variables. If the only solution to the system is the trivial solution (all variables equal to zero), then the set is linearly independent.

What is the difference between linearly independent and linearly dependent?

A set of vectors is linearly independent if none of the vectors can be written as a linear combination of the others. On the other hand, a set of vectors is linearly dependent if at least one vector can be written as a linear combination of the others. In other words, there is redundancy in a linearly dependent set, while a linearly independent set has no redundancy.

Why is linear independence important?

Linear independence is an important concept in linear algebra because it allows us to understand the structure and properties of vector spaces. Linearly independent sets of vectors are the building blocks of more complex vector spaces and are used to define bases and spanning sets. Additionally, linear independence is crucial in solving systems of linear equations and in applications such as data analysis and machine learning.

Can a set of two vectors be linearly independent?

Yes, a set of two vectors can be linearly independent. In fact, any set of two or more linearly independent vectors is considered a basis for the vector space they are in. However, it is also possible for a set of two vectors to be linearly dependent, depending on the specific values of the vectors.