Linear Algebra - Linear Operators

In summary, the conversation discusses whether a linear transformation T from the space of polynomials of degree < 8 to itself is invertible if T is defined as T(p) = p'. The speakers consider the form of the transformation and the properties of its matrix, ultimately concluding that the matrix is not invertible due to its determinant being zero.
Victor Feitosa

Homework Statement

True or false?
If T: ℙ8(ℝ) → ℙ8(ℝ) is defined by T(p) = p', so exists a basis of ℙ8(ℝ) such that the matrix of T in relation to this basis is inversible.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So i think that my equations is of the form:
A.x = x'
hence A is non-singular and therefore is inversible. But my exercise anwser say the opposite.
Could somebody elucide me?

P.s: (sorry for bad english, I'm from Brazil and still learning it.)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Victor Feitosa said:

Homework Statement

True or false?
If T: ℙs → ℙs is defined by T(p) = p', so exists a basis of ℙs such that the matrix of T in relation to this basis is inversible.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So i think that my equations is of the form:
A.x = x'
hence A is non-singular and therefore is inversible.
You need to give a reason that A is nonsingular, if in fact this is a true statement.

BTW, we say "invertible" if an inverse exists.
Victor Feitosa said:
But my exercise anwser say the opposite.
Could somebody elucide me?
What does this transformation do to the standard basis for Ps? Also, what is Ps? Was this supposed to be P5, the space of polynomials of degree < 5?
Victor Feitosa said:
P.s: (sorry for bad english, I'm from Brazil and still learning it.)

Likes Victor Feitosa
Hello, my friend! Thanks for your feedback.

I thought that A is non-singular because if it was, A.x = x' could not be true, because it would have infinite solutions. But thinking right now i don't see how this is true at all.
No, it's not P5, it's P8. I thought it was a generic polynomial space.
P8 is the space of real polynomials of degree < 8.
I'll edit first post.

I see why this is false!

My matrix A is a echeloned matrix with trace 0. So it's det is 0 and it's not invertible.
Sorry for not posting how i found this. I will try to edit and post my anwser!

Thanks PF.

Victor Feitosa said:
Hello, my friend! Thanks for your feedback.

I thought that A is non-singular because if it was, A.x = x' could not be true, because it would have infinite solutions.
You seem to have "singular" and "non-singular" reversed! This linear operator is singular precisely because it is not one- to- one.
If the difference between polynomials p and q is a constant, then Ap= p'= q'= Aq so A inverse of p' is not unique.

But thinking right now i don't see how this is true at all.
No, it's not P5, it's P8. I thought it was a generic polynomial space.
P8 is the space of real polynomials of degree < 8.
I'll edit first post.

Likes Victor Feitosa
HallsofIvy said:
You seem to have "singular" and "non-singular" reversed! This linear operator is singular precisely because it is not one- to- one.
If the difference between polynomials p and q is a constant, then Ap= p'= q'= Aq so A inverse of p' is not unique.

Oooooh, so logic and true! Thank you.
So, a matrix is singular if it's determinant is zero hence it have no inverse, is it right?

Victor Feitosa said:
Oooooh, so logic and true! Thank you.
So, a matrix is singular if it's determinant is zero hence it have no inverse, is it right?
Yes.
Regarding the problem in your first post, you need to show that if B is any basis for P8, the matrix for the transformation is not invertible. What you've shown is the matrix in terms of the standard basis is noninvertible.

Likes Victor Feitosa
Thanks everyone who helped! I think i figured how to do it and will try soon and post my result!

Related to Linear Algebra - Linear Operators

1. What is a linear operator?

A linear operator is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another, while preserving the operations of vector addition and scalar multiplication. In simpler terms, it is a function that takes in a vector and outputs another vector in the same space.

2. How is a linear operator represented?

A linear operator can be represented by a matrix. Each column of the matrix represents the output of the operator on the corresponding basis vector of the input vector space. The matrix can be multiplied with a vector to get the output of the operator on that vector.

3. What is the difference between a linear operator and a linear transformation?

The terms linear operator and linear transformation are often used interchangeably, but there is a subtle difference between the two. A linear transformation is a function that maps one vector space to another, while a linear operator specifically maps a vector space to itself.

4. How do you determine if a linear operator is invertible?

A linear operator is invertible if and only if its determinant is non-zero. This means that the matrix representation of the operator is non-singular and has an inverse. If the operator is invertible, it means that it can be undone or reversed by another linear operator.

5. What are eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a linear operator?

An eigenvector of a linear operator is a non-zero vector that, when acted upon by the operator, gives a scalar multiple of itself as the output. The corresponding scalar multiple is called an eigenvalue. Eigenvectors and eigenvalues are important in understanding the behavior and properties of linear operators.